Xin SuperMicro-IV VS RSA Tomahawk Impressions
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 119
Thanks for the excellent comparison.

Please excuse my question, it's slightly off-topic - but I have to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't seen a black case for the SMIV on Xin's website, only some 90ies-retro transparent stuff. Black definitely looks the best. Can case colors be custom-ordered?

Or is the case in these photos here the dark blue/green one and only appears black in the photos?

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only xin can make the supermicro a steel case instead of plastic...

Or anyone for that matter. If someone could start up their own business building metal cases for the SuperMicro-IV, they would probably garner a lot of interest.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 119
I wouldn't recommend putting his amps in a metal case, it opens up problems, not the least of which due to the fact that his boards don't have solder mask on them.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #24 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or anyone for that matter. If someone could start up their own business building metal cases for the SuperMicro-IV, they would probably garner a lot of interest.

I was thinking of making a woody case for my SMIV when it gets here!

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many hours the Xin amp gets on 1 battery?

If alkaline a bit over 20 hours of play time.

EFN, excellent review and very impartial. IMO there are many things to like about both, I will probably keep my Tomahawk because if I went on an extended trip the Tomahawk would be my choice due to its great battery life and very nice sound. Overall I also prefer the Supermicro IV, nonetheless what you stated pertaining the fact that Ray is catering to various IEMs manufacturers may be a factor to consider on my next comparison.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of making a woody case for my SMIV when it gets here!

uhhh... interesting!
biggrin.gif
tell me how that works out, might be a nifty idea. the supermicro in coco bolo... hmm. i'd contact dr xin before making a custom case though, to figure out if it would be safe or not.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #29 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

YO TANK! Get on top of that. I see an oppurtunity for madd money! The plastic is also one of my set backs from pulling the trigger.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #30 of 119
Heard of so much praises, I coudn't help from digging out the vintage Micro IV (made way back to early 06). This thing still sounds amazingly good with my HD600. Then I tried to apply some latest tweaks from Xin's; not all tweaks could be implemented without proper parts. I have to admit that the "new" Micro IV opens up even more with shinning high and more authority in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back