Xin Supermacro IV and RSA Tomahawk
Dec 25, 2006 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's some pictures of the two amps. In terms of thickness, both amps are very much the same. However, the TH is alot smaller. After couple sessions of listening (the TH has about 20 hrs burn in), the TH is very laid back. Vocals are subtlely presented whereas the Xin amp's vocals are a little more forward. (I'm using the AD8620 opamp). Bass is also lacking with the TH, realizing that the TH hasn't been fully burned in. So far I am very impressed with the TH and you really can't go wrong with getting one. I think I will be keeping both amps. The TH's battery life has already impressed me like no other. I've left the amp on since it first arrived (Friday afternoon) and it hasn't quit on me. That alone is enough of a feature for anybody to have a TH amp.

Overall, I'm a happy camper. I was a little disappointed when I saw the TH amp in silver since I was expecting a white color to match my ipod. The silver is not bad at all and I still prefer it over the black. Here's some pics to show the size of the two amps:

Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 6
You have two beautiful amps in there. Personally I think the Tomahawk should be compared in size with the Supermicro IV and the Supermini IV and not the Supermacro IV. I say this because you are comparing the largest offering by Dr. Xin to the smallest offering by Ray.

Regardless I hope you enjoy both and look forward to your impressions after 350 hours of burn in on both amps.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 6
yeah, well i just wanted to compare the size of the two amps since i remembered someone asking about the thickness in another thread. however, i think they are still comparable based on price range ($355 for macro vs. ~$320 for tomahawk) whereas the mini and micro are around $215.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 6
I always admired Ray's fit and finish on all of his products...it's outstanding. Enjoy the Tomahawk...I am sure it's nice sounding as it looks.

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 6
Vedy, vedy nice!!!!!!!
etysmile.gif

Thanks for the pics!!

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 6
I am very interested in hearing what you have to say about each of these amps after some serious burn in.

I'd also be interested in auditioning them sometime if you are game (since we are both in LA).

-- David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back