Xin Supermacro 3 replacement recommendations
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nice-biscuit

New Head-Fier
I have decided to sell my Xin Supermacro 3 with the intention of replacing it with a similar headphone amp. The reason for sale is that I want to use the headphone amp with my PC via a USB DAC. I did have a Headroom Bithead but generally disappointed with it. Could anyone recommend an alternative. I am looking at the Practical Devices XM6. I will be driving a few types of headphones including some in-ears and Grado's, but nothing too difficult, but would like to know if the sound signature is similar to the Xin and whether the upgrades for the XM6 would bring it closer to the Xin SM3.
Here's the spec of the Supermacro
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290754983481

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I would love to know how the sound compares and is there anything on the market with a USB DAC that would be comparable. I am using it to drive Grado RS1's but have just bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50 headphones for mobile music. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
The XM6 is a nice amp, however I think you will miss the Supermacro's sound and flexibility.

If it hadn't been for this thread - thanks nice-biscuit! - my maxed-out Supermacro (opa627) and Supermini would still be languishing in that draw under my desk.  But no more!  Re-charging and putting in those Enloops in both amps, hooking them up to an iPod Classic (lossless) > ALO CLAS and listening with Beyer's DT 1350s and Hifiman HE-500 (no, not at the same time!), I'm simply amazed at how a technology used back in 2006 and 2007 has such a wonderful presentation today.  My comparisons are with the Pico Slim and ALO Continental V2 and Xin's two amps still hold their own.  Next up will be using Xin's amps with the JH13s.

As mrarroyo so rightly says the Supermacro affords real flexibility in addition to the sound. Xin was so far ahead with his "It's ABC!" some 5-6 years ago and the options that afforded with different headphones.  Given what I am hearing makes me wonder what the amps he would have built today would have sounded like.  I am simply amazed at how good these two amps sound.  And, yes, the Supermini can indeed drive the HE-500s!  That tiny little amp in a blue plastic box!!!  Makes you wonder....

Is there a portable amps hall of fame???   Xin would be in it!

I hope he's all right.  Anyone hear from him?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 5
I can't believe my eyes for seeing this thread's topic. 
Xin Supermacro III amp! what a bizarre coincidence, that 5 mins ago I've just found my SMIII lying on my cupboard with 1mm thickness of dust. 
I'm charging it as we speak right now and will be connected to my 1st iMod very soon. 

Oh how I miss the old days, playing waiting games in getting the infamous Xin amp. lol 

PS. my mate still waiting for her Super Micro, rofl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back