Xin Superdual upgrade
Jun 29, 2004 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

penbat

500+ Head-Fier
If you ordered the Superdual very early, it may be that you got one which was found to be defficient in some way, presumably affecting the sound quality. XIntechs have been shipping the upgraded SD for a while now. But i think they will be asking all purchasers to give their serial numbers in due course to check if you have an SD that can be improved upon.

I had a defficient SD. My serial number is 04061408. I would guess that if your serial number is lower or apprroximately similar to mine you may need an upgraded SD. This is what they told me:

"Your serial number indicates that your amp is in fact one that can
benefit from the upgrade. We are currently working out the procedure for
this, and you will hear from us soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the amp, and we look forward to the opportunity
to improve it for you.

Thanks for your patience.

XinTechs "

Jun 29, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
If you ordered the Superdual very early, it may be that you got one which was found to be defficient in some way, presumably affecting the sound quality.

What is the nature of this defect? Can you hear it when using your amp?

Jun 29, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san

I might possibly be able to hear the problem if i had an upgraded SD and non-uphgraded SD side by side but i don't. I suspect it is only a subtle difference and maybe defect is the wrong word. I suspect that Xin has just managed to tweak the circuit to enhance the sound quality further. I do know he made a late change to use a "different class-A biasing circuit" which apparently made a subtle improvement in sound quality but he said he made the change just before production started but maybe a few went out prior to the change being made.

I can only speculate as Xintech are being tight-lipped about the details of this. I suspect the difference between the upgrade and non-upgraded SD are only subtle but still worth claiming an upgrade if need be.

Jun 29, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 34
I received my superdual just a couple of days ago. I emailed xin techs and they told me, according to my serial number, that I had the upgraded superdual. I am really enjoying the sound with my UE5cs. I didnt think the UE5cs could get any better, but this little beauty has made my IEMS even more exciting to listen to.

Jun 29, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by downingp
I received my superdual just a couple of days ago. I emailed xin techs and they told me, according to my serial number, that I had the upgraded superdual. I am really enjoying the sound with my UE5cs. I didnt think the UE5cs could get any better, but this little beauty has made my IEMS even more exciting to listen to.

And the SD is supposed to be much better after a week of burn-in !

Jun 29, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 34
I have my amp currently burning in 24 hours a day. I cant wait to hear the final results of this amp. I really dont hear the overexaggerated bass that other members have complained about. I dont know if Xin fixed this problem with his upgrade or not.

Now the question is, how does this amp stack up against the higly talked about SR-71

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san

Before anyone gets too excited about the word "defect", please go back and read BobJew's thread that started this discussion: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76615
He never says that there's any problem with the SuperDual as originally shipped, just that Xin has continued to tweak the design (as he has a long habit of doing) and the new improved version sounds even better. Fortunately, Xintechs seems to have incorporated this improvement into the production line fairly early. So they only shipped a few "unimproved" SD's, and they're offering to upgrade those without charge, which I'm very happy to see. (I still haven't gotten notification about mine shipping, so I'm pretty comfortable that mine will be an "improved" model when I get it. Not that I won't double-check.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

At any rate, I'm just concerned about Xin being unfairly tarred by the word "defect". It's not a matter of changing from "broken" to "fixed", it's a change from "good" to "better". Similarly, there have been 7 different major versions of the Xin Supermini. Doesn't mean that V.1-6 are defective and V.7 is fixed, just that there's a continual process of improvement.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Before anyone gets too excited about the word "defect", please go back and read BobJew's thread that started this discussion: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76615
He never says that there's any problem with the SuperDual as originally shipped, just that Xin has continued to tweak the design (as he has a long habit of doing) and the new improved version sounds even better. Fortunately, Xintechs seems to have incorporated this improvement into the production line fairly early. So they only shipped a few "unimproved" SD's, and they're offering to upgrade those without charge, which I'm very happy to see. (I still haven't gotten notification about mine shipping, so I'm pretty comfortable that mine will be an "improved" model when I get it. Not that I won't double-check.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

At any rate, I'm just concerned about Xin being unfairly tarred by the word "defect". It's not a matter of changing from "broken" to "fixed", it's a change from "good" to "better". Similarly, there have been 7 different major versions of the Xin Supermini. Doesn't mean that V.1-6 are defective and V.7 is fixed, just that there's a continual process of improvement.

I already clarified this in my later post in this thread and said that "defect" wasn't the right word for me to use.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

I already clarified this in my later post in this thread and said that "defect" wasn't the right word for me to use.

penbat, I know you did, and my post wasn't really directed at you. I just wanted a more detailed explanation to be present for those who might wander into the thread, see the word "defect", and panic.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by earful
so will the upgrade mean you have to burn in all over again?

Yeah that's what p*sses me off most and i think I am one of an unlucky small number who need the update.

Jun 29, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 34
my number is lower than yours and i think the sd is responsible for an earache i had for two days after using it. (i don't listen to loud music, but i was told years ago when given a hearing test as part of a required physical exam for employment purposes that i was hearing frequencies out of the "normal" range, whatever that is.) just read in another thread about a high gain with one amp causing a similar problem and wonder if the upgrade will affect this at all, or if that is the issue. too inept at the technical stuff to even guess.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Yeah that's what p*sses me off most and i think I am one of an unlucky small number who need the update.

I once thought I was a lucky guy to have got the upgraded one. But it ended up making a mistake by myself - I red the 04061403 as 04081403. A 6 on the battery looks like an 8. So, I am in the same boat. But honestly, I think the SD's damn good with my gear. Hard to imagine what's gonna improve after the upgrade.

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
I once thought I was a lucky guy to have got the upgraded one. But it ended up making a mistake by myself - I red the 04061403 as 04081403. A 6 on the battery looks like an 8. So, I am in the same boat. But honestly, I think the SD's damn good with my gear. Hard to imagine what's gonna improve after the upgrade.

Same situtaion here and agree totally.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

As a customer-focused company, we are continually looking for ways to
improve. Generally, the SuperDual design is fixed, but there is one
point where a change was made that did significantly improve the already
excellent sound quality.

Your serial number indicates that your amp is in fact one that can
benefit from the upgrade. We are currently working out the procedure for
this, and you will hear from us soon.

In the meantime, enjoy the amp, and we look forward to the opportunity
to improve it for you.

Thanks for your patience.

I guess I am gettting another SD. Oh well.

FWIW, my serial # is 04061208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back