Xin SMIV vs. Portaphile V2
Jul 30, 2006 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still an amp newbie, but I think I'm on to something here...

The V2 Maxxed is only $250, but includes three AD8610 Op-Amps (reviews say this is a great Op-Amp when buffered) with multiple buffers, and some other cool stuff.

The SuperMacro IV is $350, and you have to add $99 to get the AD8610 and multiple buffers, etc... (I think its comparable stuff, or maybe the V2's stuff is ever better actually), so $450 then, correct?

Am I missing something here, or is the V2 a much much better deal at $200 less? I have the V2 right now and it sounds great. I'm curious about the hype around the SM with its much higher price...what's the big deal?

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi I was in the same boat as you few weeks back and ended up ordering Supermacro. Everyone is pretty curious about new 4th channel layout and it seems it gives very good sound-stage with Xin amps.
The main reason put me off from buying portaphile, was the its great appetite for batteries. It is a battery hog with all features on and further it does not have internal charging. The Xin is more of an all-rounder with very good sound quality.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

The V2 Maxxed is only $250 . . . The SuperMacro IV is $350 . . . Am I missing something here, or is the V2 a much much better deal at $200 less?[/QUOTE

I have both amps.

They are about the same size. I believe they use the same case, but different end pieces. The SuperMacro weighs half as much more than the V2.

The eight batteries run the SuperMacro for 12 hours. The one 9v runs the V2 for about 4 hours (in maxxed mode). The SuperMacro is self charging and comes with a charger. The single 9v battery in the V2 must be replaced.

The SuperMacro is a better amp. It provides a more resolved sound. It has a number of toggles to shape the music. The SuperMacro is a step above the V2.

It may not be as refined as the SuperMacro, but the V2 has a fabulous sound. It is a fantastic amp when listening to live music. I believe someone would call the V2 "airy".

Is it worth it? In pure terms, the SuperMacro gives you more at a higher price. As with most products, the higher you go the more a little better costs.

Is the SuperMacro at almost twice the cost - twice as good? No!

If I had the money, but could pick one. I would pick the SuperMacro.

On-the-otherhand: If I were to buy the V2 with a new pair of headphones and a great line-out cable (which is about the same price as the SuperMacro). The choice is a much closer one.

Good Luck

p.s.: Have you looked at the SuperMini-IV. With options, the SuperMini and the V2 are about the same price. I have not heard a SuperMini, but it should sound much as the SuperMacro.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah Supermini has the same SQ for lesser price and is tiny and very slim. It lacks only fast charging option and the tweaks should be done inside the amp with jumpers. The case is very rugged and runs with 2 AAA Nimh.
In fact Xin prefers mini over macro though the macro is the flagship of Xin line. Good value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back