Xin Preamp stacks: Best combo
Dec 17, 2005 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
I've noticed many references to combining two Xin amps, using one as preamp and one as power amp, but the permutations of Xin amps (including mods) appear limitless.

What combos do you recommend, in which configurations?

I have Xin Supermacro V6 with OBDC SA5534 Hi-C sockets - very, very good, best portable I've heard, but not as good as $400-500 range desktop, non-portables. Does preamp option bring Xin into a competitive class with comparably priced desktops? I ask, because preamp option reduces/complicates portability issue, and for sitting on airplanes, V6 and Ety's are a lovely option as is.

So, my question really focuses on when preamp option is used is desktop applications, where there are many able competitors at that price range.

thanks

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 6
You can check Dr. Xin's forums. Use search on "preamp" and you'll find there's a fair amount of information. Then again, you could wait on the V8, whenever that's going to come out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xin
Posted - 10/24/2005 : 13:42:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You use two amps, one for pre-amp and one fore power-amp, like some home amps. This way, the low signal stage is isolated from the high-current, high-voltage power stage, therefore less chance for them to mess up together. In practice, usually better sound.

John generated this idea and some SM3 users including John and myself have test it with two SM3s and it is true.

Until V8 is out (not very soon), you can enjoy this with two SM3s. Note: V8 will not replace V6; it'll be a special edition to SuperMacro-3 family.

See earlier posts for details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Xin on 10/24/2005 14:13:27

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 6
I have tried the V6 (SA5534 OBCA) + V3 (BUF634) comb, and it sounds much better than one V6/V3. In V6, Buf bypassed, in V3, OP bypassed.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, I'm confused: which was preamp and which was amp?

Also, I DON'T want to send my current V6 back to Xin, and it has buffer.

Thanks for the help.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Pre has buffer bypassed, power has op-amp bypassed. Xin sells dummy OP that can be used to single opamp or buffer sockets, if you have V6, you don't have to send it back for reconfiguration. The beauty of this is you can just play with it as long as you have the opamps and dummy op, it's all plug and play.

BTW it's likely that I'll have two supermini-3 for a period of time early next year(I'm pressed by my wife to sell one of them,
mad.gif
) so if anybody has two V6 or supermini, maybe we can get together and try the dual-mono power-pre combination, just for fun,
etysmile.gif
. I live on campus at Rutgers for the time being.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 6
I am using two Supermini's in a pre/power combo at the moment (buf bypassed in pre/OP bypassed in power). My question is do you set the voulme to max on the power amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back