Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #541 of 992
Can this better the tdk ba200 ?

This may be too late to help you, snip3r77, but I can finally comment on your question.  I am one of the lucky ones who was able to find the TDK BA-200 at Ross for $25 in December 2013.  I have been using them as my reference IEM since. (Please note that I mainly use headphones; I limit my use of IEMs to travel and walking situations.) I also have recently bought a Xiaomi Piston 3 Youth Edition (YE), and it has become my "in-pocket" IEM, replacing the Koss KEB 15-1.  They sound better than the Koss, except for the microphonic cable, and the Piston 3 YE remote works with my Nokia Lumia 635 Windows phone, with full functionality.   Yesterday, I received a set of Xiaomi Piston 3 (non-YE).  I did a quick comparison, using the Buena Vista Social Club CD via the AudioQuest Dragonfly V1.0 (used as a DAC only) and the Mayflower Electronics O2 amplifier.  (One of the nice features of the O2 is that its left-right balance is precise even at very low levels.)  My impression is that the Piston 3 is not better than the BA-200.  I find the BA-200 to be more neutral sounding (less V-shaped) and more detailed overall.  I am more comfortable with this assessment for the YE, which is broken in, than with the brand new non-YE.  This is, of course, only my opinion.  It may change as I get more accustomed to the Piston 3 sound.  In any case, I find the YE to be excellent.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #542 of 992
For those who purchased both, how do the 1More "Voice of China" version compare to the original Xiaomi Piston 3's?

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #544 of 992
  Anyone here use iPhone?  If you like Piston 3 sound signature and you need IEM that works well with iPhone.  Try 1More IEM (The Voice of China version)

I've been looking to buy a budget IEM, and I am really interested in the Xiaomi Pistons. In fact, I've already ordered a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3's but I put them on hold as soon as I heard that Xiaomi's partner, 1More, has a "Voice of China" edition that supports iOS remote controls. Unfortunately, I can barely find any reviews on the "Voice of China" edition, let alone any detailed comparisons.

For those who have experience with both, can I ask, aside from looks and remote support for both iOS and Android, is there any other difference? If there is, what are the differences? Would you consider one inferior to the other? Do you think it is worth it to switch from Xiaomi's edition to 1More's edition just for the remote? How well does the remote work, for both iOS and Android?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #545 of 992
Just got mine, pretty impressive for the price. They're a fair bit better than the Klipsch S3 when driven off my OpenDAC HD, but the difference is even more pronounced when driven from onboard audio. (As in the Klipsch really sound "weak" with onboard.) In other words, they're much less demanding on the amp, but are still able to take advantage of a good one.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #546 of 992
I have been listening to a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3 headphones for about one month and the experience has been enlightening. Coming from the Etymotic hf-5 which are exceptionally balanced and clear, the Piston 3's accentuated bass and relaxed overall character have been a pleasure to listen to!

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #547 of 992
I got the regular Pistons 3 and the Youth version recently. At the same time got the MH1 which kinda outperforms the pistons IMO (The bass is just too prominent in the pistons, even tho the MH1 is bassy, just not as much).
The cable in both pistons is quite something, no microphonics to speak of.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #549 of 992
Oct 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #552 of 992
  Any idea how the Dazzle version compares?  I can barely find a mention it even exists.

They look like a cheaper version of the Youth, without metal, simpler remote and colors.

IMO the Youth doesn't deviate much from any regular cheap IEM's with a signature like the regular Pistons.
I'd stay away from the Dazzles, at best they will sound like the Youths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back