Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #181 of 992
I've had these a few days now so am starting to form real world opinions, not just immediate impressions.

Short version: I prefer the older Piston 2, and over the Piston 2 I prefer my Samsungs, and for really noisy places I would choose my Shure SEs.

Long version: The Piston 3 is almost certainly technically better than the Piston 2 (I say "almost certainly" because I'm using my ears, and have no test data) but that doesn't mean it is better suited for the intended purpose.

If you only use IEMs in an environment with no extraneous noise then the Piston 3s are better. But if that's your environment then why not just use full size open back headphones?

IEMs are typically a true general purpose item. They have to be usable in places with appreciable background noise like in offices and in vehicles, but also in places that are simply very, very noisy such as walking around town alongside roads with big, loud diesel engine buses and trucks, and also car drivers with extremely bad manners and taste but who have amazingly powerful sound systems in their car.

Isolation matters, and so does having some extra low frequency heft to mask, at least partially, all that crap that comes with urban life.

Unfortunately the Piston 3s are just too neutral and too lacking in isolation to be successful in an urban environment. Certainly if you are somewhere quiet and civilised they are nicer to listen to than the Piston 2s, but for the other 95% of your time spent surrounded by people who make your blood boil and ears bleed they don't cut it. The obviously exaggerated mid bass of the Piston 2s actually does more to let you enjoy the music than does the more neutral balance of the Piston 3. Better than either is almost anything with better than -25dB isolation.

Using the Piston 3s I noticed I was getting woken up and disturbed by traffic noise while lying in bed with the windows closed (I do live in a house, not in a VW camper parked by the highway). Piston 2s mask those sounds a little better. Samsung HS330 better again. Shure SE215 even better. Beyond that there is zopiclone, drugs or alcohol or any combination thereof.

Anyway, if you need isolation and are looking to escape that big urban drone, the universal hum, the Piston 3s are not going to do it.

May 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #186 of 992
Yes these will work with the same Comply tips that fit the UE600/Super.Fi vi. For example the Comply T-400/Ts-400/Tsx-400/Sx-400. It's actually a very decent combination and probably offers as much isolation as you are ever going to get with a semi-open back IEM.

I don't know if that's the same fit as the Brainwavz. Check http://www.complyfoam.com/ to verify compatibility.

May 1, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #187 of 992
Yes these will work with the same Comply tips that fit the UE600/Super.Fi vi. For example the Comply T-400/Ts-400/Tsx-400/Sx-400. It's actually a very decent combination and probably offers as much isolation as you are ever going to get with a semi-open back IEM.

I don't know if that's the same fit as the Brainwavz. Check http://www.complyfoam.com/ to verify compatibility.

yup, it is the same as m5 if it is the 400 series. Thanks

So is tinydeal the place to go for shopping to the US at the moment. Does anyone know if there is a place where you can send stuff to their US warehouse for warranty issue?

May 1, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #188 of 992
yup, it is the same as m5 if it is the 400 series. Thanks

So is tinydeal the place to go for shopping to the US at the moment. Does anyone know if there is a place where you can send stuff to their US warehouse for warranty issue?

If like me you are in UK and you want a reliable, official Xiaomi retailer who ships to UK then use ibuygou.com. I have bought 2x Piston 2 (metal), 2 x Piston 2 (plastic) and 1x Piston 3 from them. They are utterly reliable and trustworthy and communication is excellent. On my last order there was some small misunderstanding over my postal address so I called them and spoke to their customer service in China. The chap I spoke with was in China but born and bred in Manchester (!) and fixed it in about 2 minutes. btw the extra pairs were for gifts, not because there was any reliablity problem!

May 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #189 of 992
If like me you are in UK and you want a reliable, official Xiaomi retailer who ships to UK then use ibuygou.com. I have bought 2x Piston 2 (metal), 2 x Piston 2 (plastic) and 1x Piston 3 from them. They are utterly reliable and trustworthy and communication is excellent. On my last order there was some small misunderstanding over my postal address so I called them and spoke to their customer service in China. The chap I spoke with was in China but born and bred in Manchester (!) and fixed it in about 2 minutes. btw the extra pairs were for gifts, not because there was any reliablity problem!

This is for a friend in the US. What happens with them with warranties? As in, if it breaks in 6 months and you feel like it's worth to send them back for repair?

May 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #190 of 992
Oh, I see. Sorry, saw your London location and didn't quite understand your enquiry.

I didn't yet have a Xiaomi product arrive defective or later fail so I don't know. I do know that for mainland Europe ibuygou has a European dispatch and service centre so there is none of this waiting for 2 weeks return shipping each way as usually happens if needing to make a warranty claim on a product bought from China or Hong Kong. I don't know how they deal with North America but anyway it is a good illustration of the effort they put into making things pleasant and simple for EU customers. I guess it's worth checking their website and seeing if they do anything similar for the US.

May 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #191 of 992
Oh, I see. Sorry, saw your London location and didn't quite understand your enquiry.

I didn't yet have a Xiaomi product arrive defective or later fail so I don't know. I do know that for mainland Europe ibuygou has a European dispatch and service centre so there is none of this waiting for 2 weeks return shipping each way as usually happens if needing to make a warranty claim on a product bought from China or Hong Kong. I don't know how they deal with North America but anyway it is a good illustration of the effort they put into making things pleasant and simple for EU customers. I guess it's worth checking their website and seeing if they do anything similar for the US.

Thanks regardless. I emailed them. I had seen their EU service, which is rather nice.

May 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #192 of 992
So I've been listening to these next to my Piston 2s.

The Piston 2s certainly have a more fun, bassy sound, with a wider soundstage. The Piston 3s are quite a lot less bassy, with a narrower soundstage and a therefore more neutral, analytical sound. There's still quite a lot of energy in the top-end I think though, with the mids quite similar to the Piston 2, that is, fairly neutral.

Despite my initial positive impressions about the Piston 3 being more comfortable than the Piston 2, I think I am going to have to retract that statement. Using my Sony Hybrid tips (which for me are the most comfortable tips, with the best seal that I have tried thus far), I get a really good seal on the Piston 2 and they're really comfortable. On the Piston 3, the seal is worse because although the drivers are curved in to supposedly fit better in the ear, I find on my ears that the curve doesn't match so I can't get ever get a perfect seal. This means isolation is less good than on the Piston 2, which to be honest isn't fantastic anyway (even with the Hybrid tips).

So I think I prefer the Piston 2 for day-to-day listening. I wouldn't rush out to get the Piston 3 because I feel it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade, with certain things better and certain things worse.

May 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #193 of 992
I've bought a pair of these after owning the Pistons 2.0. They're OK, but the earphone fit is really poor-even the large slip out with a bit of head movement.

I'd like to use comply tips-i've read in this thread that the 400 series will fit but i'm not sure about this, is it definitely the case? On the Comply site those tips fit the Pistons 2.0, yet the 3.0 have noticeably thinner tubes. Can someone 100% verify which comply tips perfectly fit the 3.0 Pistons? Comply told me they haven't tested them yet so can't recommend.

Thanks!

May 3, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #194 of 992
  I've bought a pair of these after owning the Pistons 2.0. They're OK, but the earphone fit is really poor-even the large slip out with a bit of head movement.

I'd like to use comply tips-i've read in this thread that the 400 series will fit but i'm not sure about this, is it definitely the case? On the Comply site those tips fit the Pistons 2.0, yet the 3.0 have noticeably thinner tubes. Can someone 100% verify which comply tips perfectly fit the 3.0 Pistons? Comply told me they haven't tested them yet so can't recommend.

Thanks!

Honestly I don't really trust the Comply site for the pistons -- the T-400 is a pretty tight fit on the Pistons 2.0 from what I recall. The T-500 series fits better on the 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back