Xiaomi Pistons 2 vs 2.1 or just something completely different?
Sep 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bakgrund

New Head-Fier
Hello, I really need a new pair of in ears as my current ones (Klipsch s4) are broken, I was fairly pleased with the sound on them, not very powerful sound but did the job for the price, so you atleast got an idea of what kind of sound I like. They will be used for watching videos and listening to music on my phone.

I've been checking out the Xiaomi Pistons 2 or 2.1 which says to offer great value, and the cable looks nice aswell, but what's the difference between 2 and 2.1? Or would you recommend anything else? My budget is like 50€ but I'd prefer to spend less if possible, after all they won't be used that much.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hello, I really need a new pair of in ears as my current ones (Klipsch s4) are broken, I was fairly pleased with the sound on them, not very powerful sound but did the job for the price, so you atleast got an idea of what kind of sound I like. They will be used for watching videos and listening to music on my phone.

I've been checking out the Xiaomi Pistons 2 or 2.1 which says to offer great value, and the cable looks nice aswell, but what's the difference between 2 and 2.1? Or would you recommend anything else? My budget is like 50€ but I'd prefer to spend less if possible, after all they won't be used that much.

The Pistons 2.1 is an unofficial name given by some of the members of Head-Fi to refer to the changed production model that was being manufactured since April of this year, which gives the Pistons a slightly longer cable (1.2m over 1.1m), a shirt clip, and updated eartips. But if you can look in my sig, there's a line there that says:

"The Pistons 2.0, 2.1, and iF Edition Pistons sound exactly the same. No exceptions. Except maybe for fakes."

So sound-wise, don't expect anything different between the 2.0 and 2.1.

Hope this helps,
-- thatBeatsguy

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
  The Pistons 2.1 is an unofficial name given by some of the members of Head-Fi to refer to the changed production model that was being manufactured since April of this year, which gives the Pistons a slightly longer cable (1.2m over 1.1m), a shirt clip, and updated eartips. But if you can look in my sig, there's a line there that says:

"The Pistons 2.0, 2.1, and iF Edition Pistons sound exactly the same. No exceptions. Except maybe for fakes."

So sound-wise, don't expect anything different between the 2.0 and 2.1.

Hope this helps,
-- thatBeatsguy

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know any good place that sells them? I've heard there's alot of fake ones so I'm not sure what places are serious.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I know a lot of members like purchasing from Penonaudio here: http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=42

Also, if you were looking into other budget-ish iems, there's a lot of good threads in the Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors part of the forums - http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

I suggest reading in the Asian-brand info thread, as well as the Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread - those have some pretty cheap iems

Have fun shopping!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know any good place that sells them? I've heard there's alot of fake ones so I'm not sure what places are serious.

Well, I've read a lot of legit sources from the Pistons thread, but I'll just list down what I could get off the top of my head:

1. Penonaudio.com (By far the best source for Pistons and other Chinese IEMs. Your wallet will cry in pain from the wide selection.)
2. iBuygou.com (This seller is probably the second-most popular source for Pistons, second only to Penonaudio.)
3. Xiaomiworld.com (I honestly don't have an idea about who these guys are, but others confirmed them as legit, so there. No fakes confirmed as of yet, but I'll keep an eye out.)
4. Amazon.com (Amazon is easily the most iffy source in my list, as there are a lot of sellers, both legit and not. Boat2014 was a confirmed seller IIRC.)

Hope this helps,
-- thatBeatsguy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back