Xiaomi Mi A1 launched- DIRAC HD Sound and Dedicated 10V Amp upto 600Ω impedance.
May 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 17
I have the Mi A1 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x (38 ohms) headphones and I think I hardly hear the hiss. Only at start or end of a track at minimum volume really, nitpicking. Otherwise inaudible.
These cans match very well with the MiA1, it sounds better than my other Wiko phone, which also sounds well.

I have compared extensively today with my Asus Xonar DX soundcard headphone amp and also with a Onkyo 9010 amplifier digital in phone amp and I have to say the Xiaomi holds its own very well. Generally I like better the MiA1 amp, it's more enjoyable, mids are truer to life, more detailed, it makes me smile. It has a slight 'metallic' edge to the mids. The highs doesn't sound bright, they are contained.

With the Xonar and the Onkyo it sounds more neutral, boring, digital, generic. It doesn't err but it remains veiled and compact. The Xiaomi sounds more revealing, like equalised. Acoustic guitar may have a bit metallic sheen that's not in the recording but the Xonar/Onkyo are more boring and they don't have the same insight, they seem wrapped.

On the other hand, the MiA1 sounds dinstinct in that it sounds more 'relaxed' and pacing and attack are slower than the other components. Dynamics are good and smooth, the bass extends well of not better but it sounds less fast. It is not inherently worse. Probably it does have to do with the battery power. But at the same time it sounds sweeter. I'm intrigued. I also have an Audinst USB headphone dac with sounds very similar to the Xonar headphone amp in this respect.

Impressive for a phone to compete with a good dedidated sound card and an integrated amplifier, more expensive than the phone.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #17 of 17
just for anyone who is considering mi a1, the dac/amp section is really good !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back