Xiang Sheng 768A - Why no threads on it?
Sep 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I searched ebay for tube amps, and I found an interesting one.  Its called:

Xiang Sheng 768A

Naturally, I searched head-fi about it to see if it was any good or not.  There were 3 threads, and two with little to nothing to do about it.  The one thread that was all about the 768A was full of people who thought the stats were good but never actually owned it.  As we all know... stats are one thing but the sound is a whole different animal.

Therefore, I'm making this thread to ask anyone who OWNS this amp to tell me a little bit about it.  Is it any good or not?  Are there any known issues? 

It seems like you get a lot for your money with this amp.  Its got everything.  I need reasons not to pull the trigger, as this looks like my "cost effective" solution to a DAC/Tube Amp combo to get started in the tube amp and DAC world for my semi-new pair of Beyer DT990's.

Here is where I found the amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xiang-Sheng-768A-Vacuum-Tube-Headphone-Pre-Amplifier-/250700993426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ef19392

Thanks in advance guys.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, this is the thread I was referring to.  Its just a bunch of people oo-ing and ah-ing over an amp they don't own, and aren't putting any useful information onto this forum about. 

Therefore, I made this thread to learn a bit more. 

I'm confused by your last statement.  Care to elaborate?

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 9
there used to be a very good shill for catylink, who was the importer for xiang-sheng at the time. He wrote a great review of the 708b detailing the sound changes from swapping the front tube. Now thats not particularly remarkable except that the front tube has nothing but the heaters hooked up...

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Yeah, this is the thread I was referring to.  Its just a bunch of people oo-ing and ah-ing over an amp they don't own, and aren't putting any useful information onto this forum about. 

Therefore, I made this thread to learn a bit more. 

I'm confused by your last statement.  Care to elaborate?

Most threads here are as you put it "a bunch of people oo-ing and ah-ing over an amp they don't own, and aren't putting any useful information onto this forum about."

And do not worry about getting confused,it happen's to the best of us.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 9
It seems pretty unlikely that it could have that many features and sound even decent at that price.  The internal shot looks pretty simple for having DAC, headphone amp and preamp all in one.  What do I know though.  simple can be good.  White cheddar isn't orange but it still tastes good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back