XFi or Juli@ / Headroom amp/DAC or something else? gamer/lossless BASS
Jun 28, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dusk

100+ Head-Fier
I am a big time gamer / listen to a lot of lossless bass heavy audio, and some classical/ambient stuff.

I need some suggestions for a soundcard and amp/dac.

Currently running:
PC with onboard sound !! (my maudio 24/96 died) /
foobar2k (miss ASIO) /
Beyer DT880 with cardas /

I was looking into the XFi or Juli@, but what AMP/DAC would be a good choice? Gilmore, Ray Samuels, Headroom Micro DAC+amp or Zhaolu? Or maybe something else. And would I even need a DAC? I have about 500 bucks to spend total on amp+sound card+DAC+interconnects (if needed). Depending.
smily_headphones1.gif

(I also have a macboook pro and an iPod nano which needs an amp, so I'm leaning more towards the headroom mico stuff)

And, if I went Headroom route, would USB cable OR an optical mini-plug cable OR a co-axial mini-plug cable?

Thanks in advance!!

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 22
If you're a huge gamer, get the X-Fi. You can get the Xtrememusic for $85 shipped AR, or the Platinum for $132 shipped AR at ZipZoomFly through tomorrow (although rebates of similar value come along regularly.) If you want to use an external DAC and a microphone at the same (or if you want an optical out,) get the Platinum. It comes with a module that fits in an optical drive bay and a remote for using with various programs. The Xtrememusic has a mini jack that can be used for coaxial output, but it's the same jack that's needed for mic use. With the module, you get an RCA output, digital in/out, coaxial in/out, plus some 1/4 headphone jacks w/ volume knobs (meh.)

Keep in mind that the Xtrememusic and Platinum have absolutely no difference in the main card, meaning that you will get no better sound out of the Platinum. I'm considering getting the Platinum, if I were really set on diving into the world of PC gaming again (it's been a few years) I would have pulled the trigger already. If I find that the module isn't particularly useful I'd just sell it for well below the price of the module alone and still recoup the price difference between the Xtrememusic and Platinum. Not to mention you can still keep the remote.

As for external DACs, I'm looking at the Zhaolu myself. A big advantage it has is multiple RCA outputs, so I can have both my headphone and speaker rig hooked up without having to switch the jacks everytime. It also happens to be the target of a huge hype-fest on Head-Fi right now, and everyone who owns one agrees that it's at least definitely worth the price. There's also a headphone amp that can upgraded to very respectable performance. You could definitely get an upgraded Zhaolu, an Xtrememusic, and a mini to RCA coaxial cable for under your $500 budget.

Anywho, I'm rambling. Anyone else with advice for him?

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for your response. On second thought, after reading your post, I figure I can hold off on the XFi until I build my gamePC.

So that leaves the Juli@ as the front runner.. not really sure about alternatives.

A friend of mine told me that if I am looking into an amp/DAC I dont even need one of these nice sound cards... is that true?

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Well, I guess you could always use a USB dac with an amp...but it'll slow down gaming to a crawl.

I'd rather not use USB. Would the soundcard do DAC? so all I would need is an amp?

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 22
A soundcard does have a built in DAC. However it can be bypassed by using it's SPDIF out if it has one. I'm sorry about the USB comment; I thought you meant no soundcard at all.

From what I've heard, amps sound the best out of a dedicated line out and not a headphone/speaker jack which tends to give an amplified signal. Not to say it won't work out of an headphone/speaker jack, it'll just sound better through a lineout.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
From what I've heard, amps sound the best out of a dedicated line out and not a headphone/speaker jack which tends to give an amplified signal. Not to say it won't work out of an headphone/speaker jack, it'll just sound better through a lineout.

hmm, sorry, I'm kind of a newb at this.

so, Juli@/XFi -> AMP -> headphones?

I dont need the bells and whistles, and would rather not have to buy the "addon" to get the spdif and optical from the xfi.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 22
First things first.
IF YOU PLAN to do ANY gaming I would recommend the x-fi, I have used an m-audio revolution for gaming and it's awful, so I can only imagine professional cards can not compare to consumer cards like the x-fi for gaming.

You have spdif on the xtrememusic. All you need is a mini to rca coax cable, or a very cheap mini to rca adapter from radioshack.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 22
so is something like the Zhaolu or MicroDAC a better DAC than whats on the XFi?

And would I do SPDIF -> DAC -> AMP or could I do SPDIF -> amp (if i used the onboard DAC)

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusk
so is something like the Zhaolu or MicroDAC a better DAC than whats on the XFi?

And would I do SPDIF -> DAC -> AMP or could I do SPDIF -> amp (if i used the onboard DAC)

SPDIF stands for Sony Phillips Digital Interface. You don't use it unless your dealing with digital components. And most external dacs will rock most computer cards.

It would be spdif on something like the x-fi --> DAC --> amp, or mini line output --> amp if you wanted to use the dacs on the x-fi.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 22
But keep in mind (and correct me if I'm wrong Jagwire) that the digital in for coax doubles as the microphone input on the X-Fi, meaning that if you want to use a mic during gaming you would have to disconnect your external DAC (if you get one) to be able to. This is solved with the X-Fi Platinum's I/O module (which has spdif in/out, optical in/out, and mic in among other stuff.) If you don't think you might encounter that problem then stick with the Xtrememusic.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 22
hm, I think I might get the XFi with I/O just to see what it can do, and then eBay or post it here for sale if I find that I have no use for it.

I do use a mic during games, and would rather not have to use two sound cards. (i'm a nut for using as little system resources as possible)

Going to be picking up a Headroom MicroAMP first. Then when I have the money, purchase the MicroDAC to complete the set.

Now does the MicroDAC *completely* bypass the sound card, meaning, if I have a DAC and a sound card, the sound card is ignored? Or does the DAC replace the sound cards DAC?

And one last newb question:
Sound-quality wise, what would be the best options with this setup (xfi/microamp) coax, optical, mini->rca, USB, S/PDIF, etc, before and after I get the external DAC?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make absolutely sure before I start spending money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 22
Do you plan on using the MicroAmp and MicroDAC portably? Because besides portability, option to use batteries, and USB connectivity (for the DAC,) there's nothing that puts them above other options in the $300 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back