Xfi Elite Pro vs. Meridian/Prelude
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jono3642

Head-Fier
I recently purchased the elite pro, using with a corda HA-1 and HD650's, but hearing all the praise for the meridian and hype around prelude, should I try and send it back, at this point I am not really using the breakout box but this is a money no object question, is it worth sending it back, I am going to notice a big difference between the meridian or should I wait and upgrade to the Prelude, or just keep the elite pro. Anybody with an xfi who has also heard meridian please tell me how big the difference is.

Also, I have sensitive hearing when it comes to anything that sounds digital or harsh, so the smoothness and organic tendency of the sound is important

Thanks

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 22
One thing you have to keep in mind is that there is a strong anti-creative sentiment among computer audiophiles
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, most creative haters probably never heard the Elite Pro, only the lesser models (elite pro has flagship Cirrus Logic DACs, different board layout and IIRC better opamps as well).

For what it's worth, I can tell you that E-mu 0404 usb (same DAC as X-meridian and Prelude) to me sounds more natural than the regular x-fi, less metallic and with a bit more detail. The difference is not huge though and will not stand out unless I switch between them on the fly. But as I said Elite Pro is more advanced than other x-fi models.

Oh, and since you have Elite Pro, I assume EAX support for games is important? Then forget about X-Meridian altogether. If money is truly no object, buy a Prelude when it comes out and compare it to your Elite Pro, then post a review here
wink.gif
and sell whichever one you like less. Frankly, I doubt Prelude will be better -- maybe slightly different, but that's it. On paper, both of them have excellent specs.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 22
if you can replace the stock jellybean opamp with the LM4562, and throw in a new power cap it makes A WORLD of difference. To my ears, it is a HUGE upgrade in sound quality. I'd keep it and mod it!

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly, I doubt Prelude will be better -- maybe slightly different, but that's it. On paper, both of them have excellent specs.

It will probably be a lot better.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

One thing you have to keep in mind is that there is a strong anti-creative sentiment among computer audiophiles
smily_headphones1.gif

CREATIVE SUCKS !

*...looks at sig* Aw, crap.

CREATIVE IS THE BEST ! ! WHooooO!

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CREATIVE SUCKS !

*...looks at sig* Aw, crap.

confused.gif
I assume you mean my sig? I don't use X-fi for music, for reasons I described above.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 22
if you are looking for a card with a good EAX support than than X-Fi or Perlude are your only option. If you want a good sound quality and EAX is less important you can look to the ASUS Xonar. It has a great sound quality, I've compared it to the Emu 1212M (you can read it in this forum, it was posted a couple of days ago).

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

confused.gif
I assume you mean my sig? I don't use X-fi for music, for reasons I described above.

k let me rephrase this:

CREATIVE SUCKS !

*...looks down to my own sig* Aw, crap.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 22
The Xonar also has a great sound quality, as good as the 1212M. I dont think the X-Meridian is as good.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k let me rephrase this:

DUH!! I have sigs turned off, and I forgot that X-fi is not even in my sig any more
redface.gif

KT88
, Xonar has Burr-Brown DACs, right?

EDIT:
Answering my own question, Yes, according to the 2nd picture on this page.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 22
Yes, but it also has the L4562MA OPA for the front channels which is much better than these used in most sound cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back