Xfi effects via SPDIF
Jan 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nand0

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Recently, I received a new Headset (Tritton AXPRO). This headset have a external dolby digital decoder connected to the PC via Optical Cable. Cause my Xfi Xtreme Music don´t have Optical connector, I decided to buy a new soundcard with it and enjoy the CMSS3D and Crystalizer from Xfi.

At this moment, I have my 5.1 connected to my Xfi Xtreme Music by analog cables, and my Headset to the motherboard by optical, but when I want to switch between them I have to change all the time my "Sound device".

Thats the two reasons because I want to buy a new soundcard and connect my speakers and my headset to the same device.

But when I was about to buy a Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 I read that in some cards Xfi effects like CMSS3D, Crystalizer, etc, don´t works via optical cable.

Is this true?

Is possible to have in my speakers and headset this Xfi effects at the same time?

Also I don´t know what is better:

- Connect the Decoder to the Audio card (Auzentech Forte) by Optical Cable and the Speakers by analog cables, enabling DTS and Dolby Digital on the Auzentech Forte.

or

- Connect the Decoder to the Auzentech Forte by Optical Cable, and the speakers to the Decoder, enabling DTS on the Auzentech Forte and Dolby on the decoder.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I tried my best :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 9
False. All DSP effects work through S/PDIF on X-Fi cards. I've tested it myself.

You just have to make sure that the "Speakers" output device (NOT S/PDIF Out) is selected as the default, enter the Audio Control Panel, click the S/PDIF I/O tab, and check "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". Also make sure you turn on Dolby Digital Live so that the AX Pro's decoder box is getting 5.1 and not stereo PCM.

That said, I'd think you'd get better results by replacing the Tritton AX Pro entirely with a quality stereo headphone straight into the sound card and using CMSS-3D Headphone instead.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Many thanks for the answer!!

I can´t replace the Tritton´s cause is a present :frowning2:. Anyways, they sounds good.

Then, how can I get best audio? I prefer a good audio in music than in games (yes, not the best Headset for that, but I don´t buy it!).

CMSS-3D and Dolby Digital works togheter?

Is the Auzen the best choice for me particular case?

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, it depends on your music tastes. Different headphones have different sound signatures, after all, and different music genres emphasize different parts of the spectrum. Without knowing that, I can't point you toward any headphone and know it will reasonably satisfy you.

If you use CMSS-3D Headphone, you don't need to use Dolby Digital Live or anything else like that because the sound card's doing the decoding, applying CMSS-3D, then outputting the result in stereo (two channels) to a set of stereo headphones.

The X-Fi Forte worked well for me, but if you choose that card, be sure you get a newer revision with a heatsink over the EMU20k2 DSP. Less chance of problems that way. The X-Fi Titanium HD is also another card to consider unless you need extra analog channels for speakers or anything else.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 9
But, if I have connected to my sound card the speakers and the headset, I will turn on CMSS3D (for the Speakers), and I dont know how can it affect to the headset cause of the dolby decoder will be working too.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, if you have to switch between speakers and headphones, stick to the X-Fi Forte unless you want to keep plugging your headphones in and out of the X-Fi Titanium HD all the time.

Also keep in mind that when you switch to speakers, you need to switch the X-Fi control panel accordingly, or else things may not sound right (for instance, sounds being loudest when directly off to one side instead of being slightly in front of you).

To be honest, I'm a bit confused right now, especially since you didn't mention speakers before. How do you plan on connecting stuff? If you're still leaving the AX Pro in the setup, the CMSS-3D Headphone mention was specifically a replacement for the AX Pro and its decoder box. In other words, you either continue to use the AX Pro while using Dolby Digital Live and S/PDIF, or use a hi-fi/audiophile stereo headphone from the headphone-out jack with CMSS-3D Headphone.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi again!

I said "speakers" in the first post 4 times :p

In fact, this is one of the reasons:

"At this moment, I have my 5.1 connected to my Xfi Xtreme Music by analog cables, and my Headset to the motherboard by optical, but when I want to switch between them I have to change all the time my "Sound device"."

Is really boring to switch between Sound Devices when I want to use the speakers or the headset, but if you said that I will need to switch things in the Creative Control Panel too I don´t solve the problem buying the Auzen :frowning2:

The 1st option:

- Connect the Headphones to the Decoder, and the Decoder to the Auzen by SPDIF.
- Connect the Speakers 5.1 to the Auzen by analog cables.
- Enable CMSS-3D and Crystalizer.
- Enable Dolby Digital and DTS on the Auzen.
x The problem is if CMSS-3D with Dolby Digital will make my Headset sounds bad.

The 2nd option:

- Connect the Headphones to the Decoder, and the Decoder to the Auzen by SPDIF.
- Connect the Speakers 5.1 to the Decoder of my Headset (it have analog connections on the back)
- Enable CMSS-3D and Crystalizer.
- Enable Dolby Digital and DTS on the Auzen.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Well, the weird thing about CMSS-3D is that Creative uses the term for three different functions.

-CMSS-3D Headphone, which provides binaural sound in games out of stereo headphones (one driver for each side). Only available in Headphone mode.
-CMSS-3D Virtual, which is pretty much the same thing, but for stereo speakers. Also quadraphonic speakers for some reason, but not 5.1 or 7.1.
-CMSS-3D Surround, which takes stereo sources and makes them play over the rear/side channels in addition to the front ones.

Note that when you enable Dolby Digital Live, the speaker mode on the X-Fi automatically changes to 5.1, thus you'll only have CMSS-3D Surround available, which serves a completely different purpose from the other two. When you turn it back off, it should revert to the last used speaker mode.

But now that I've read your options, it seems like you're sticking with the AX Pro anyway. Since you're leaving 5.1 speakers connected via analog, the simplest method of switching between the two would be to simply toggle Dolby Digital Live on and off, no need to switch into Headphone mode for anything. Your AX Pro's decoder box may still function with a stereo PCM signal (DDL off), but you'd be gimping it in terms of positional information.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 9
  False. All DSP effects work through S/PDIF on X-Fi cards. I've tested it myself.

You just have to make sure that the "Speakers" output device (NOT S/PDIF Out) is selected as the default, enter the Audio Control Panel, click the S/PDIF I/O tab, and check "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". Also make sure you turn on Dolby Digital Live so that the AX Pro's decoder box is getting 5.1 and not stereo PCM.

That said, I'd think you'd get better results by replacing the Tritton AX Pro entirely with a quality stereo headphone straight into the sound card and using CMSS-3D Headphone instead.

This is an old post but omg man you totally saved my bacon and almost returned my SMSL M3 usb dac/amp.  I also have the Titanium HD and couldn't figure out why CMSS was not working until I set the "creative speakers" to default instead of the spdif.  Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back