Xenos X1HA-EPC: Review
Feb 28, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

I will ad that since it fared so well is the reason I am letting it burn in for an additional 200 hours to re-asses. Normally when I try something for the first time and it blows the competition (or it performs poorly) I will let it sit and come back to it later to either validate my initial thoughts or revise as needed.

The fact that overall Skylab and I are close tells me that the initial thoughts were in the ball park. I will know in about ten days or so.

i'm aware you go thru the process of burning in all you amps before review and i'm guessing this may have something to do with the perceived discrepancies between you and skylab in regards to the sr-71 and the xenos-epc...

i eagerly await your further assessment!

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

I will ad that since it fared so well is the reason I am letting it burn in for an additional 200 hours to re-asses. Normally when I try something for the first time and it blows the competition (or it performs poorly) I will let it sit and come back to it later to either validate my initial thoughts or revise as needed.

The fact that overall Skylab and I are close tells me that the initial thoughts were in the ball park. I will know in about ten days or so.

I agree, in general our thoughts on the 1HA-EPC are very similar. In fact, I was glad to see you thought so highly of it, since I did as well, and you have listened to a zillion portable amps too...

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #48 of 67
mrarroyo, how does it compare with supermicro IV?

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #49 of 67
Good Review Mr
wink.gif
, interesting to see the other comments as well.

yes raylpc I'd like to see those thoughts as well, as the supermicro seems to be HIGH on his list .

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by raylpc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo, how does it compare with supermicro IV?

I still put the Supermicro IV at the top. Yes I am a Dr. Xin fan because of the sound his amps achieve.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #51 of 67
In Japan, I read the review that X1HA-EPC exceeded SR-71 in the power and the density
of the sound, .
http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/32519957.html
Does everybody agree with the review?
Does X1HA-EPC exceed SuperMicro in the power and the density of the sound?
I request power and the density of the sound from X1HA-EPC.
If X1HA-EPC power and density are inferior to SR-71 and SuperMicro power and the density, I will not buy it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 67
As I stated on post #45 I am revisiting this thread since the Xenos X1HA-EPC now has an additional 200 hours of burn in for a total of over 400 hours of burn in. For this session I used a coaxial cable from my Philips DVP642 to a MF X-Dac V3 to feed the amps. I used a 2005 Beyer DT990 (250 ohm) and for music I used the following CD's;

B0000001QL.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

5b764310fca09bfe73964010._AA240_.L.jpg

42_26.JPG

Well, the findings I posted remain the same. I will ad that if you want a more in your face presentation use either of the RSA amps. If on the other hand you want a more mellow while still retaining a very impactfull presentation and a huge soundstage you should stick with the Xenos.

BTW this time while I burned them in I left the Xenos crossfeed on all the time to see if 200 hours would make it more subtle. Sadly it remained the same.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #53 of 67
I received this yesterday - took nearly two weeks as Skylab indicated. From what I can tell so far it is worth the wait. For one thing, it looks nicer than I thought it would. Way to early to make any judgments on the sound but no noise/hiss and it seems to work well with my Grados. I'll be fully testing it with my E4 IEM's soon. This is the new lower gain version and had an insert with updated specs.

I'll follow up when I've had a chance to do some more intensive listening. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rich

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #55 of 67
I thought the 2134 was only used as a buffer? Wouldn't this application for this op-amp be less critical than using it for the actual output stage? I'm not a technical or DIY kind of person though. Anyone want to chime in on this?

Been listening all weekend. Not sure I have a lot of meaningful info in terms of a review to add - yet.

Rich

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #56 of 67
After listening another day I think I can post my initial impressions:

First it is a little big and it's not necessarily light. Still it's not that much bigger than my 5.5G 30G Ipod in it's showcase. Not a big deal for me. Also the blue LED is very bright (this is typical of blue LEDs, they're equally bright on my Musical Fidelity preamp in my home system). Overall it's quite nice looking, nicer than I would have thought by looking at the pictures. I had a little worry about the charger since I couldn't get the red light to come on with the initial charge. Turns out the battery came fully charged and it took a discharge cycle for the light to operate as described in the manual. Everything worked well right out of the box and it feels pretty well built. Good work!

How does it sound? I'll qualify my thoughts by saying this is my first real headphone amp. However, I have been into all things audio for at least 20 years and have painstakingly built a decent two channel home system. First no noise or hiss (this is the lower gain version). If I connect my E4s, pause the Ipod or during a very quiet passage and turn the volume up past half way I can hear slight increase in the noise floor; however, these levels would be deafening/painful if actually listening to music. In practice and with critical listening I hear no hiss at all - a very black background IMHO. The tonal balance is quite neutral. The strength of this amp is the solid, powerful, but well controlled bass and the very beautiful mids. The upper frequencies are detailed and extended without being the least bit harsh. More sweet sounding than analytical. This makes a nice match with my Grado SR-60s. It also seems to create a good perception of depth and soundstage which is sometimes a difficult task for a headphone system.

Taking into account my limited headphone amp experience, I would highly recommend this amp. Great customer service, quality product and first rate sound. I have no desire to look elsewhere for amplification - the 1HA-EPC is a keeper!

System:
5.5G 30GB Ipod
ALO Bling Bling Line Out
Xenos 1HA-EPC Headphone Amplifier
Grado SR-60 Headphones
Shure E4 Pro IEM's

Thanks to Skylab, mrarroyo, and all the other posters for sharing information about this amp - it really helped me to make the perfect decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rich

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #57 of 67
Poeh, it's difficult to make up wich one is the actual winner. There isn't I guess since it is all personal. I am still doubting wich amp I should upgrade to. I am looking at the sr71 or the xenos one. I am looking for a great detailed sound wich sounds very bright (in the good way of the word) and with a lovely deep detailed tight bass. I will be using it with the proline 750 and now have the GoVibe 5. But I have the feeking it could do better so I am looking for a new one. I listen to a wide variety of music (like PinkFloyd, jazzie stuff, old stuff, techno, hardhouse, classical and so on).
I wonder if anyone has any advice? I know it's best hearing them for myself but right now I am wondering and don't have the opportunity of checkin the differs.
Edit: The pricediffer is not relevant for me, nor is its portability although it will be used as a portable one a lot of the time.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #58 of 67
Nice review richsto!! I too just got the X1HA-EPC this weekend and was amazed at the sound right out of the box. What won me over in choosing this amp was the practicality of having the Li-ion rechargable battery pack. So, this amp is more transportable/portable than others of it's size and class. I'm also using either a pure silver or silver plated copper ICs with this amp which help to tighten the bass and extend the highs a bit more.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #59 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually...no. I didn't feel the same way about the treble of the two systems. I feel the Xenos is a little more laid back and a little less extended in the treble than the SR71. I also think the Xenos has slightly warmer mids, and that is has more powerful bass. The bass of the Xenos is better; the treble of the SR71 is better, and the mids are a toss-up.

This is, of course, just my opinion. If I personally could own just one amp based on sound quality alone, though, it would be the Xenos, because I am a unrepentant bass freak.

I have been norrowing down my choice of amps to go with my Grado sr325i's do you think that with the X1HA-EPC being warmer it would suit the grado's better?

The other options i have been drawn to are the SR71 and the tomahawk (as the hornet is unavailable at present).

Baden

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ta4101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been norrowing down my choice of amps to go with my Grado sr325i's do you think that with the X1HA-EPC being warmer it would suit the grado's better?

The other options i have been drawn to are the SR71 and the tomahawk (as the hornet is unavailable at present).

Baden

All of those are great amps. I have never heard sr325i's. But if you want to warm them up, then the Xenos is the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back