Xenos X1HA-EPC Appreciation
Jun 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

alphaphoenix

Banned by order of heir wallet and significant other.
I had the good fortune of snagging the Xenos X1HA-EPC headphone amp recently on eBay for a very good price. There was comprehensive review and this model was in the top ten, I believe. I don't have much experience with other portable amps, but my ears are in heaven with this amp combined with the Grado SR225i and iPod 30GB 5th Gen via line out. The sound stage and range gives me a chester cat grin every time I dawn on my portable equipment.

The other choice was the Decware ZH-1 headphone amp. One day, I may own this amp, but I'm giggly like a little boy in a candy store with the Xenos amp - if you know what I mean.

You can still get the Xenos X1HA-EPC for $179 directly from Alberto who is the owner and creator of the heavenly amp. Very friendly person to deal with so far, at least in email format. I just purchased a spare battery from him. This amp is a keeper.
atsmile.gif

Anyways, as you can tell, I'm relatively new here, but I'm glad to part of the "addiction". Sadly, my significant other just doesn't understand
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah. It's a little on the big side, especially the length. Coincidentally, the Decware ZH-1 is of identical dimensions.

Do you have any experience with "portable" amps with similar sound traits to the Xenos? I've read reviews on the picos and other sub $500 amps, but have yet to tread in that deep of financial waters. But then again, with headphones, I've made the gradual ownership upgrades of the Grado line starting from SR60, to SR80, SR125, SR325i(found the sound a little too harsh), and have settled at this point on the SR225i. One day, the lineage will include a reference series. I'm not sure if I'm a little atypical in that I only own at most 2-3 cans at a time.

Thanks for your thoughts and happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 8
It has been a long time since I owned the Xenos. But if I had to buy a portable amp today the following would be my top three pics (in no particular order).

1. MiniBox E+
2. iBasso P3
3. Ray's P51

If you end up w/ the MiniBox E+ you could change the AD8610 op-amps to AD797 if you wish a more musical and warm sound. Good luck.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been a long time since I owned the Xenos. But if I had to buy a portable amp today the following would be my top three pics (in no particular order).

1. MiniBox E+
2. iBasso P3
3. Ray's P51

If you end up w/ the MiniBox E+ you could change the AD8610 op-amps to AD797 if you wish a more musical and warm sound. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time. Well, I think I'll a post a WTB for the MiniBox E+ and see if anyone is willing to part. Op-amp rolling (hopefully this is used correctly) sounds very enticing indeed.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. MiniBox E+
2. iBasso P3
3. Ray's P51

Will you change the P3 to P3+ now?
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 8
OP, make an effort to attend the Head-Fi meets in the Seattle area. Great chance to try different gear and talk with others who share the hobby. There's another one coming up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back