Xenos 3HA
Jul 18, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Anton

New Head-Fier
Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know what opamp they're using?

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

These are the reported specs:

Input
Maximum input signal level............................................. ..........6.7V 10.5Hz – 40kHz
Input type..................................3.5mm stereo jack socket from headphone or line out
Input impedance (nominal)......................................... .............................20,000Ohm

Output
Output power / channel - batteries...............485mW RMS (970mW Peak) into 32Ohm
Output power / channel - AC adapter.........755mW RMS ( 1505mW Peak) into 32Ohm
(Output power is per channel)
Output type .....................................two 3.5mm stereo jack sockets for headphones
Dual headphones lowest impedance......................................... ..........16Ohms each
Headphone impedance range............................................. ..........16Ohm – 600Ohm

Audio Specifications
Frequency response.......................................... .....10.5Hz – 40,000Hz +0.3dB -3dB
Distortion and noise............................................0 .01% +/-0.001% 30kHz BW 0dBV

Power Sources
Batteries......................................... ...................4 x 1.2V AA NiMH or 1.5V Alkaline
AC Adapter....................................110 - 240VAC input, 9VDC 1.3A regulated output

Physical Dimensions
Inch / mm............................................6.3L x 3.56W x 1.68H / 160L x 90.5W x 43H

Jul 18, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 9
The picture is pretty blurry and small. Can't read the opamps label at all, after blowing it up.

Switching supplies can work very well in audio equipment, if chosen carefully. Some very exspensive and highly regarded amps use switching supplies.

Jul 21, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, I couldn't see the op amps either. Price point is pretty good, but amp may just not be cool enough for head fi. Ahem.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 9
We use Texas Instruments NE5532 OP AMPS in the X3HA. Let me know if you want to know why we chose NE5532.

Switching supply is custom designed for the X3HA with low pass filters on output to eliminate switching ripple and noise. We can provide scope traces of supply outputs for reference if desired.

In short, the specs say it all about the X3HA.

Regards
280smile.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Bump - To those who know a lot about amps: Is the opamp that albon86 mentioned good? Does everything that he said make sense (Switching supply is good then?)? I'd like to know why you guys chose this opamp over something else, like the AD8620. This is from tangentsoft's op-amp guide page:
Quote:

Another jellybean chip, but bipolar-input so it requires more care in application...

Again, why did you guys chose this op-amp when it seems to be a cheap, generic one?

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Azure,

I suggest you contact the Alberto at 2.support@aptecpro.com I'm sure he will answer all your questions.

My Xenos 0HA, which I believe uses the same opamp, sounded tubey at first but sounds very neutral now that it's burned in. The sound of opamps are very personal, so it may suit you or it may not. I think it sounds great with bright headphones like Grados. The reason it's not recommended for DIY is because of the bipolar inputs, which are harder to use and design for.

As far as the switching power supply, if it's well implemented and does not introduce any audible noise, then why not?

There are some reviews of the 3HA in the ampification section which you may want to read through. Search is your friend.

Cheers,

-R-

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure

Again, why did you guys chose this op-amp when it seems to be a cheap, generic one?

the same reason it can be found in many piece of gear in any recording studio. it's a high quality good performing op amp. it's VERY hard to find a cd where the signal hasnt passed through at least one NE553X (or TL07X/08X), more then likely dozens of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back