Xenos 1HA-EPx !!!
Dec 16, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 38
Seems a little big with portables getting so small but if the SQ is there who cares. I like that it has a nice aluminum case and not plastic. So, how do you decide on which model to purchase unless you have heard them? Why do they offer the two different models?

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 38
Apparently the -EPT is the low budget variation of the -EPC. The only thing that varies is the output stage, and the -EPT has a cheaper to implement current feedback chip (TPA6120) replacing the all-discrete output stage of the -EPC. The TPA6120 still has outstanding performance for a monolithic chip, so differences should be subtle, and perhaps vanishing with the increasing of the headphone's impedance?

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 38
And by the way, I think that making a cheaper, almost equal performing version of the amp, is an admirable purpose (that perhaps some of the "fancy" brands should imitate).

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 38
Well it does open up the market to more people. Xin does offer the 3 models from the full IV SM to the Micro IV and the sound quality on all accounts is pretty fine. While I know you have read about them I am not sure if you have ever heard the new version of the IV. I have one coming and it should be here in a few days.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 38
I agree, Xin's "IV" amps are quite interesting -- although, in my eyes, not as interesting as this 1HA with its discrete buffer (or even with the super-fit-opamp the TPA6120, that must certainly beat in transparency, besides largely beating them in power, such chip buffers as the BUF634). Myself, furthermore, I'm not even a fan of the sound of the 3+ channel amps (or so it seems, from the few that I've managed to hear). What is crucial IMO is not the amount of channels but the quality of the power supply, which Xenos knows well, and not casually in this 1HA it appears to be very studied.

As an aside, the "XTRA" looks like it has a sophisticated power supply section, too...

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 38
Ouch, I beg pardon for this thread. Forgot 'bout the notorious local narrowness of mind.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 38
Cool... but will it sound that much better than OHA-REP or Xtra? Still OPA2134, still no easy op-amp rolling. Who will be the guinea pig? It's not that cheap.

Dec 16, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 38
Hmmm...looks awfully tempting!

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our resident xenos expert Andrea should be the guinea pig.
biggrin.gif

I'm having this pain in my stomach... 'cause there's that offer of free "Xpress Post" shipping till the end of December, which is just what I'd want...and I have no more money to spend after I bought the XTRA, a mini-mini interconnect, the new 0HA-REP and a few chips for it/them.
mad.gif
Oh, well still a lot of toys to keep me busy through the holidays
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool... but will it sound that much better than OHA-REP or Xtra? Still OPA2134, still no easy op-amp rolling. Who will be the guinea pig? It's not that cheap.

Well it has much more power on low impedances especially, that's for sure. Besides the gain/crossfeed and lythium battery. But with the HD650, and the 0HA-REP modded with LM4562 and AD9631 like I'm going to do, I believe it'd be a close match...(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back