Xenos 1HA-EPC Arrival
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #376 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please report back. I'm really struggling to shed light on how the Xenos compares to the more common portables, especially in a home environment. I have to say I haven't laid my eyes on many an explicit comment in this thread
biggrin.gif

Actually, I've posted some impressions in post #353 of this thread.

Yesterday I've been listening some more, and I can only confirm the first impression. The Xenos does a splendid job with the K701, and with IEMs too. The Shure E4c suddenly grew bass, which I'm positive wasn't there before, not even with the PA2V2. I was thinking about selling the E4c and keep only the UM2, but the Xenos brings out some really impressive bass from them, it's truly like I never auditioned the E4c before. As for the UM2, they seem to benefit less, but they're already impactful enough straight out of an iPod. They do sound better, but the gain in SQ is more subtle compared to the gain in volume.

Concerning the K701, I've had another splendid night with them, thanks to the Xenos. I've tried this combo with CDs rather than with MP3s, and I've discovered some differences between recordings I never knew were there. To make a concrete example, I've listened first to some songs from the album Spiceworld (yeah, I know, I was a teen and all), then to some songs by Elio e le Storie Tese, a pretty famous Italian band. With the K701, the Spice Girls' songs felt like there were music playing against an empty background; I could feel that there was something "missing" in the music, as if an entire layer of silence was artificially added to the song. A visual analogy came to my mind, it was like the girls were singing in front of a wall of fog (eh, the things that come to your mind at 3 in the morning
blink.gif
). Then I switched to Elio, and it was like the wall of fog was lifted. There was no "missing layer" in the music, everything was clear, detailed, impactful and involving. I had never heard something like this before, it was truly an eye-opener on the quality of different recordings. Tells something about the goodness of the Xenos+K701 combo, I daresay.

Even if I only own 2 portable amps, I'm beginning to understand how much fun it must have been for Skylab to do his 9-amp comparison
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #377 of 419
Uh-oh. I think I have a problem here.

Yesterday I linked the Xenos to a portable CD player, using the mini-to-mini cable supplied with the PA2V2. Using IEMs, I could clearly hear some intrusive distortion in the left earpiece, but I automatically put the blame on the cable, because I had never heard this noise with the iPod and the K701.

Now though, I've made some experiments, and it seems the distortion is coming from the Xenos itself. I used the iPod + Sik Ram Din as source, and tried to listen with the E4c and the UM2. When the volume knob is at 6 o'clock, everything's fine, but as soon as it hits 7 o'clock, distortion in the left channel kicks in. It isn't modified by the SFS function, and it can still be heard with the K701, although it's harder to detect. I hadn't noticed this noise on the first day I tried the amp, but it's possible that I didn't listen at a low enough volume to detect it with the K701. The hiss can ONLY be heard with music playing, and that's what bothers me the most: when there's no music playing, the amp is silent.

I'm a little worried now, it would be very annoying if I had to send the amp back. Anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: I've made a quick try with the Shure level attenuator (whoa, all the stuff that came with the E4c is really paying off, it seems). The noise seems to be audible as long as the volume is below 12 o'clock; at 1 o'clock, I can't hear it anymore with the E4c. Still, I don't like the idea of having to raise the volume that much. 11-12 o'clock is more than enough with the K701 with the majority of recordings.

EDIT 2: it seems that the noise has evolved into plain distortion. It is painfully obvious with IEMs, and it's now more audible with the K701, too. I'm almost totally sure that it wasn't there the first time I used the amp.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #378 of 419
Well thanks for nothing people!
blink.gif
Just reading this thread by a bunch of degenerates with nothing better to do than torture poor fools like myself I finally broke down and ordered a Xenos X1HA-EPC.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The amp arrived yesterday and it has been burning in for the last 24 hours. I will let it burn in for at least 200 hours before I post my impressions. At said time I plan on comparing its sound to the two remaining portable amps I have, The Hornet "M" and the Tomahawk. Hopefully the new Headphonia with the AD8397 chip will be in and it will be included in the comparison.

Most of what I am writing here will be included on a separate thread that I will write in about 10 days. For the time being I will say that the amp came very well packed, attention to detail was everywhere. Basically a very professional job just like is expected of a big outfit. I have seen similar attention to detail by HeadRoom, Ray, and HeadAmp to name a few.

The instructions are well written and easily understood. The amp itself is very solid and looks very well made. It has a solid feel to it that inspires confidence that it has been made to last a very long time. Again this is what I would expect of a high quality company. I also think it is a great idea they offer not only to sell you a replacement battery when the current one expires but that they will even install it for you if you are so inclined.

I like the recessed on/off switch on the back, this should prevent inadvertently operation of the switch. I also like seeing the volume knob flanked by the input and the output sockets, this should help prevent messing with he volume knob while on the go. It also allows some very large plugs to be used w/o interfering with each other. I also find that the volume knob is almost damped, that is it is a bit hard to turn. This to me is a good thing since once again it prevents its movement while in transit (saves your hearing from a major unanticipated jolt).

Here are some pictures of the amp, please click the thumbnail to view the fulls size pics.

In a week or so when I actually post my impression I hope to add a couple of pics of the amp internals. BTW the iPod in the pictures above is 4th Gen 60 Gb iPod Photo.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #379 of 419
What?!
basshead.gif
blink.gif
Dude, I would have traded you for the "OTHER" amp!!!
*ahem!*
biggrin.gif
Anyway, it doesn't require a long burn in time. According to Alberto, 24 hours is the max you'll need... pretty much out of the box is the way it will continue to sound.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #380 of 419
Mrarroyo, I anxiously await your comparisons!

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #382 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Me too....
wink.gif

yup, me 3x and 4x.....! my itchy fingers are dying to pull the trigger on one of these beauties. another valued review would be the icing on ma cake
eggosmile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #386 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I added intenal pictures of the amp in post 378.
biggrin.gif

hmmm..... the 1HA looks biggg!! tats about the only thing tats holding me back on this amp.

ps:anyone else mention ur nuts!!! brand new amp and its already apart in pieces...! hehe! just kidding
biggrin.gif
. thxs for the pics. will be awaiting ur comments.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #387 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Now those interiors would whisper to me "about $400" if I didn't already know the actual retail price.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot mrarroyo!

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #389 of 419
Quote:

Now those interiors would wisper to me "about $400" if I didn't already know the actual retail price.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot mrarroyo!

Hehehehe.... Sometimes you get what you pay for...
wink.gif
(Totally black background.... even at HIGH volumes, although those levels aren't usually listened to...)

TEAM BLOW ALL YOUR DOUGH-FI

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #390 of 419
Quote:

Now those interiors would wisper to me "about $400" if I didn't already know the actual retail price.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot mrarroyo!

I don't get this post. What do you mean by those interiors would whisper to me about $400? Who are thise "interiors" and what are they whispering about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back