Xenos 1HA-EPC Arrival
Jan 9, 2007 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 419

dw6928

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received the new Xenos amp. Out of the box the build quality is superlative (the case is actually metal!). It has a new (to me) Stereo Field
Simulator which controls the amp's stereo channels. It simulates a live stereo
listening environment as if stereo speakers were placed in a room 4 meters apart
and the listener in the center, 5 meters from the speakers (their words). This
SFS control is to eliminate "super stereo" effect produced by stereo headphone
listening. It works by feeding a portion of the left channel signal into the right
and visa versa through a frequency and delay profile filter which simulates the
stereo listening room field. We shall see! The gain setting is perfect with an Ipod and 701s. The amp adds terrific bass to the AKGS while maintaining their wonderful sparkle.
Only 5 minutes old and already I am in love. What a great portable addition to my Heed! Much more to follow

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 419
I am as impressed with this as a portable (hour #1 no burn in or anything)
as I was with the Heed out of the box. Xenos has really made something
special here.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 419
I was just playing with their version of crossfeed and it is so much finer and
impactful than my old Microamp. It really does seem to place you between
some fine stereo speakers without the stereo blobs in each ear

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 419
dw6928, you also have a Heed CanAmp? I'd be thrilled to read a comparison between the CanAmp and the new Xenos amp, for these two amps are the two I'm gonna choose between for my K701, the Xenos being substantially less expensive. I've read the CanAmp does wonders for the K701, but the 1HA-EPC sounds very promising.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 419
yes I am fortunate to have both. One for portable and one for desktop. You have to give me a couple of days for the Xenos' components to settle in. It
has a very tough act to follow. If you read my posts, I am an ardent Heed supporter, having bought one in the first round last August. It has enormous
perceived value (in other words, worth every penny and much more). I doubt
the soundstage of any portable will rival the Heed or have the 3D sound layering.
but we shall see. Right now it sounds remarkable. I prefer it right away to the H5
that I just traded with Insomniac for some ZuMobius cables. The Xenos has
great instrument separation and "quality" soundtracks with the 701s, PM and
we can discuss at lengh before you make your purchase.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 419
worth.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 419
no digital camera at work. The amp is in its full glory on Xenos' web site.
www. aptec.pro. If you insist, I will photograph it when I get home and place
it next to the Heed betwen the 701s and HD 650s to live.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never turned down a fellow Head-fier yet. just give me a bit of time to get to know the Xenos before I lend it out.

Sounds like a plan. I need time too - sending the amp back to Ray for a fix. It's been getting crappy battery performance out of the box. Hopefully he fixes it over simply replacing it - it's nice and burned in now.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 419
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...If you insist...

icon10.gif

Well, it's always different to see "live" footage than commercial pictures. Sounds like sweet amp, congrats. Interested to read your further comments.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 419
I keep popping over to my desk at work where it is breaking in until I get it home
tonight and throw on the 701s. It is going to leave a major mark in the portable amp world. This is one terrific introduction for Xenos. At $219 it will certainly
find its market and deservedly so. Seems like the same verbiage that I used
the day I got my Heed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back