Xears TDIII or Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

steelglam

100+ Head-Fier
My significant other has been using a pair of Brainwavz M2 for some time and is looking to move away from them.  She said the sound of the Brainwavz has become too brittle and harsh in the midrange over time for her tastes.  I thought that was kind of crazy since I remember borrowing them from her early on and the mids were smooth and full-bodied.  But I can verify that they have indeed become harsh and thin.  Vocals and snare drums especially seem too forward/shouty, electric guitars have lost some dimensionality, and loud and hard-hitting musical passages do exhibit some sibilance and distortion.

Anyhow, I thought the solution might be to go the route of an IEM with a sound signature that is slightly warmer than the M2--where the mids aren't as forward as they are on the M2--but still relatively neutral.  I did some research on here and other places, and the Xears TDIII and Fischer Audio Silver Bullet stood out to me as possible options that fit these characteristics.  I pointed these out to her and she seems interested. 

Anyhow, I told her I'd post a thread on here and see if folks thought these two would be good options, considering what she is looking for and whether or not they would be different than the Brainwavz M2 in those regards.  And if so, which one is preferable.  Or perhaps there are other suggestions.  She wants to spend under $70.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Xears TD III (now TD IV) sounded bright to me. Let me confirm and get back.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 10
unless you live in russia or in asia, the fischer bullets are pretty annoying to get and if you do ever have a problem with it, they are some of the most annoying things you will ever have to return in your life. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies, folks.

psygeist: I appreciate any insight you have on the Xears TD III (didn't know there was a IV...I'll have to check that out).  Let me know when you get a chance.

jaqueh: That's really good to know about the difficulties in getting the Fischer's.  In your estimation, is it not worth the hassle?  In other words, are they not good enough to warrant the hassle?  I see you have an Iron Maiden avatar.  Would you say the Fischer's are good for both heavy rock/metal as well as lighter stuff?  My significant other like some heavier stuff, but also acoustic stuff and dance-pop stuff.  She has varied tastes.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Ok, these are a little bright for sure, esp at high volume can be fatiguing.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
OK, thanks psygeist, that's good to know.  I thought I read that they were bass-y, but perhaps that it is incorrect.

Let me rephrase what I said. Yes, they are bass-y (not boom-y and with good definition/texture) but the higher end feels a bit bright too. These remind me of JVC FXT90 but with inferior soundstage, instrument separation and imaging. Midrange doesn't carry as much weight comparatively. Lacks in the timbre part too.

I suppose you are looking for easy listening IEMs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

psygeist: I appreciate any insight you have on the Xears TD III (didn't know there was a IV...I'll have to check that out).  Let me know when you get a chance.

jaqueh: That's really good to know about the difficulties in getting the Fischer's.  In your estimation, is it not worth the hassle?  In other words, are they not good enough to warrant the hassle?  I see you have an Iron Maiden avatar.  Would you say the Fischer's are good for both heavy rock/metal as well as lighter stuff?  My significant other like some heavier stuff, but also acoustic stuff and dance-pop stuff.  She has varied tastes.

the fischers are amazing for metal, and i really think that they'd be good for all genres, but it really is a hassle. it's like a 6 week wait

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 10

psygeist: Depends on what you mean by "easy listening."  If you mean easy to listen to, yes.  But if you mean dry or boring, then no.  I think she definitely wants something with good dynamics and that is fun to listen to.  But I would say something that is generally neutral, with maybe a touch of warmth.  Or at the very least something that isn't too brittle and harsh in the midrange and isn't excessively bright in the high frequencies.  Something balanced.

jaqueh: She waited longer than that to get her Brainwavz M2, so she's kind of used to that territory.  :)  Mp4Nation took forever to deliver the M2's to her.  Do you have another suggestion instead of the Fischer Audio's?  Something with similar characteristics sound-wise, but easier to get...and under $70?

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 10
These are not dry or boring. I'd term an IEM as easy listening if one can listen to them for longer time without any fatigue which is mostly caused by bright highs.

Midrange is slightly recessed but not overly. Low and high extension is very good. Quite energetic, in your face presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back