XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Apr 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,742 of 2,100
Anyone ever tried 600ohm headphone with XD 05 plus? How is it?
Planning to get beyerdynamic T2 2nd gen. It's a 600ohm headphone.
Thx :D
I am currently listening to the 600 ohm DT-990 and I have heard the first generation of T1 (both are beyerdynamic 600 ohm before and after the flagship), and they all make a charming sound in XD05 plus.
I have heard of V5Di for XD05 plus, but after changing to muse8920, I do n’t plan to change other opamps

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #1,743 of 2,100
I am currently listening to the 600 ohm DT-990 and I have heard the first generation of T1 (both are beyerdynamic 600 ohm before and after the flagship), and they all make a charming sound in XD05 plus.
I have heard of V5Di for XD05 plus, but after changing to muse8920, I do n’t plan to change other opamps
Wow nice , this is very helpful answer!
I think V5iD give too wide soundstage for my taste , how about muse8920? What it will change from the stock opamp?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #1,744 of 2,100
Wow nice , this is very helpful answer!
I think V5iD give too wide soundstage for my taste , how about muse8920? What it will change from the stock opamp?
The muse 8920 brings the XD05 plus sound characteristics: the sound field is moderate, but the sound position of various instruments is more three-dimensional, and the sound characteristics are more obvious. This makes my favorite listening to classical music, which does not find the music boring, but often hear The music that surprised me.

May 1, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,746 of 2,100
For everyone who uses ~32Ω headphones or less, plus model or regular, do you have any problems with channel imbalance? From the start my amp has sounded like the right channel is slightly louder than the left. This throws off the sound entirely (everything sounds slightly off/not cohesive). Sometimes I hear it clearly and it bugs me, and sometimes it's subtle enough to think it's just my own ears acting up. I decided to take some mono test tones and record them back into foobar as stereo from the XD-05. This showed that at my normal listening position (about 10-11 o'clock on the dial) there is about a 2db difference in the channels. When I put the volume pot between 12-1 the imbalance is reduced to about 1db which still seems a bit higher than is generally accepted.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is normal, or if I should return the unit to try another. I know that all analog volume pots have imbalance at the lowest levels, but I would expect that once you get to about 10 o'clock on the dial the balance should be close enough to neutral to not be able to audibly tell there's a difference. Not sure if my expectations are correct though.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,747 of 2,100
Double post. In further testing it looks like I can get a 'good enough' balanced at about 11 on the dial, so anything under 11 on my unit is unusable. I'll definitely be sending it back as that level is well past the hearing damage range for my 115spl 32Ω headphones.

Problem is I'm really liking the sound of the XD-05+, so I'd love to get a working unit. Can anyone else confirm where their channel imbalance ends on their dial for the plus model (or non-plus, I'm curious about that too)? On mine I get left sound at about 9:30 but it remains slightly imbalanced until 11. If there are other units that get full balance at 10 or below I'll have some hope at getting a replacement that will work instead of having to return this amp outright.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #1,748 of 2,100
Double post. In further testing it looks like I can get a 'good enough' balanced at about 11 on the dial, so anything under 11 on my unit is unusable. I'll definitely be sending it back as that level is well past the hearing damage range for my 115spl 32Ω headphones.

Problem is I'm really liking the sound of the XD-05+, so I'd love to get a working unit. Can anyone else confirm where their channel imbalance ends on their dial for the plus model (or non-plus, I'm curious about that too)? On mine I get left sound at about 9:30 but it remains slightly imbalanced until 11. If there are other units that get full balance at 10 or below I'll have some hope at getting a replacement that will work instead of having to return this amp outright.

I think mine got no problem on 11 o clock volume position. Or maybe my ear just isn sensitive as you ,since I don't have tools for measuring the volume. I suggest u to return the unit and let them check ur device.

May 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,749 of 2,100
Got my replacement and ran it through some tests. I confirmed that my original XD-05+ has a 1.8db imbalance at 70db to the headphones (about 10:30 on the knob), and the replacement has a .7db imbalance. The new unit sounds MUCH better. Not sure what Xduoo's quality control thresholds are for matched volume knobs, but quality control seems to be all over the place.

-- Edited to remove initial impressions on Op Amps. More detailed post to follow with better comparisons --

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,750 of 2,100
Hi ..
Today I did a firmware upgrade on my xduoo 05.. everything is ok.. flashed and finished with no problem..
But after upgrade, my xduoo 05 cant be find via usb!! Otg or normal pc usb connection.. spdif and aux connection works fine.. but usb function does not.. the sound of relay ticks but the xduoo cant seen by usb ..
What can I do?.. any reset or other way to flash the device?..
Thanks by now.. please I really need help..

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,752 of 2,100
good
I have a failure in my xduoo, to see if anyone knows of any solution.
It only works when the battery is about to drop to 2 battery lines until it runs out ...
with the battery fully 3-4-5 stripes does not work and being with the cable charging at 10 seconds it stops again.
to stop I mean the sound the screen works.
Any idea what the fault may be?
Greetings

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,753 of 2,100
I've gone through quite the op amp journey, at this point having tested 25 op amps with another 10 or so to go. This includes all of usual high end chips that will fit into the case of this amp (Burson V5i, Muses 01 02 and 03, OPA627, etc...). I plan on writing up a summary on all of them with respect to how they sound in the XDuoo XD-05+, but that's going to take a long time. In the meantime I'd be remiss if I didn't mention at how good the AD827AQ is, being just about perfect to my ears when used with a neutral headphone. At this point the AD827 is a clear level above all of the other op amps I've tried, so I wanted to point that out as another chip to be looked at for those that are interested.

I've been judging each chip on every sound aspect, but the most important of which is the overall tonality that the op amp produces. When listening to music I've found that most of the time the sound seems correct at first, but once I imagine that the singer or instrument is in the same room as me I suddenly realize that the tone is off. Almost always the sound being produced is darker, or muffled compared to what it would be if the music was being produced in real life. The AD827AQ is the only chip I've found that has presented a clear transparent tone on every sound, and as an added bonus it is outstanding in all other areas (highs are high without being bright, lows are low, clear textured bass, great instrument separation, accurate stage width and depth). I'd love for someone else to give this one a try and report back as well. In my setup (XD-05+ with a neutral headphone) it seems to be audio perfection, but I do wonder how the chip will behave with other setups like the regular XD-05.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,754 of 2,100
I've gone through quite the op amp journey, at this point having tested 25 op amps with another 10 or so to go. This includes all of usual high end chips that will fit into the case of this amp (Burson V5i, Muses 01 02 and 03, OPA627, etc...). I plan on writing up a summary on all of them with respect to how they sound in the XDuoo XD-05+, but that's going to take a long time. In the meantime I'd be remiss if I didn't mention at how good the AD827AQ is, being just about perfect to my ears when used with a neutral headphone. At this point the AD827 is a clear level above all of the other op amps I've tried, so I wanted to point that out as another chip to be looked at for those that are interested.

I've been judging each chip on every sound aspect, but the most important of which is the overall tonality that the op amp produces. When listening to music I've found that most of the time the sound seems correct at first, but once I imagine that the singer or instrument is in the same room as me I suddenly realize that the tone is off. Almost always the sound being produced is darker, or muffled compared to what it would be if the music was being produced in real life. The AD827AQ is the only chip I've found that has presented a clear transparent tone on every sound, and as an added bonus it is outstanding in all other areas (highs are high without being bright, lows are low, clear textured bass, great instrument separation, accurate stage width and depth). I'd love for someone else to give this one a try and report back as well. In my setup (XD-05+ with a neutral headphone) it seems to be audio perfection, but I do wonder how the chip will behave with other setups like the regular XD-05.
From where did you purchase your AD827AQ Op Amp from? Does yours look like this: https://th.rs-online.com/web/p/op-amps/7590052/ Made in the Philippines?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back