XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Mar 3, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #961 of 2,100
Does your mobo have an optical out? I have found that it's much less of a hassle to use.

I don't really need it with this mobo technically.  It has a Realtek ALC1150 8-channel surround sound with 112dB SNR output.  I could just run my amps off it directly versus using Toslink.  It can also decode 24/192 which is the same as you can get via optical.

I prefer to use ASIO/DSD to get the most out of files though.

Thanks for the idea though.  I hadn't thought about that and I do have all the cables for that too.

I'll probably do that until I find the right solution.

Any other ideas folks?

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #962 of 2,100
Sounds like computer problems, nothing to do with XD-05. Drivers are either signed or not. As you said Windows starting from 8 would not accept unsigned drivers, so pre-AE would not. That means you are trying to install the wrong driver. Get it from the Japanese site.

Oh, and there is no BS in IT. Maybe computer science? You forgot how it's called?

I think you mean computers problems.  Same identical issue on more than one PC.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my XD-05, never said that.  There definitely is an issue with the driver though.

I'm also pretty sure the driver on the disc that came with it IS the right driver.  You know, the same driver that worked on the pre-AE and not on the post-AE.  The Thesycon v3.34.0 drivers from http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/En/DownList.Asp and http://www.xduoo.co.jp/driver/ have not worked on any of my PCs that were clean installed with Windows 10 AE and the miniCD worked fine on all of my machines that were running either Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1507, and Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1511.

Feel free check with Boise State University and ask them if there is such a thing as a degree called a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology Management with an emphasis in Networking from their 2009 catalog if you really think I'm mistaken.

Thanks for the input though and taking some of your time to try and help me solve a pretty interesting problem.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #963 of 2,100
Try to go to device manager and you should see the device is with exclamation mark (due to no proper driver installed), then right click and update driver, point to the location where your installed files located (in c:)

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #964 of 2,100
Guys anyone else have problem with headphone jack looseness? I can move it left/right ~0,5-1 mm and display moves together, also it can move some way up and down.

Bought on amazon.co.uk, should i ignore it or request a replacement?

Some Video of it here

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #965 of 2,100
Guys anyone else have problem with headphone jack looseness? I can move it left/right ~0,5-1 mm and display moves together, also it can move some way up and down.

I have no such wiggle room in my unit.
Sounds like yours are broken / about to break down...

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #966 of 2,100
  Here are the details:

I got mine about 6 months ago.

It installed fine and worked perfectly on all of my machines (Windows 7 & 10).

Had no problems with it on any machines that were upgraded to Windows 10 AE after the driver was installed.

My Surface was acting weird, so I did a clean restore of Windows 10 AE and since then the driver will not install signed and Windows 8 and up will no longer allow unsigned drivers to operate unless you boot again turning off the signed driver requirement.  It will work then, but you have to reboot in this mode every time for it to work and it also makes your computer un-secure while running like that.

One of the things that changed with the Anniversary Update is that drivers now need to be WHQL signed. I.e. they need a signature from Microsoft itself, and not from a third-party. This is a result of hacks in which malware authors got hold of signing certificates from various manufacturers. This is probably why the driver worked before, but not now. The Thesycon package contains a certificate from GlobalSign, but this is no longer sufficient.

In an ideal world, the manufacturer (xDuoo) would send the package off to MS for a proper WHQL cert, but that involves paying money, so don't hold your breath.

Apart from using the optical interface instead of USB, there is one option that wouldn't involve rebooting each time, though it's still insecure: you could enable testsigning in the boot options. A short description of the process is given here, and this is the Microsoft page on it. It's possible you might get away with just disabling SecureBoot in your BIOS, which may be worth a try, but I think going the S/PDIF route over optical or coax is a better option.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #967 of 2,100
Sorry couldn't read all the 65 pages and I am kinda new to this

These could power the HD6x0's right? More than enough current and power atleast, not sure about the voltage tho, couldn't find much information about that.

But would this be suitable as a mainly used desktop/laptop amp/dac?

In case the battery is continuously charging while connected to a computer, this would be far from ideal obviously but it shouldn't be too hard to swap the battery I guess. 

In short, I am kinda looking for a one for all solution for now, until I can afford a 'real' desktop amp/dac setup (probably after the summer) and this seemed like the most suitable solution to me.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #968 of 2,100
  Sorry couldn't read all the 65 pages and I am kinda new to this

These could power the HD6x0's right? More than enough current and power atleast, not sure about the voltage tho, couldn't find much information about that.

But would this be suitable as a mainly used desktop/laptop amp/dac?

In case the battery is continuously charging while connected to a computer, this would be far from ideal obviously but it shouldn't be too hard to swap the battery I guess. 

In short, I am kinda looking for a one for all solution for now, until I can afford a 'real' desktop amp/dac setup (probably after the summer) and this seemed like the most suitable solution to me.

This item is really powerful, do not mind if it will not properly power 6x0 or something else (except DJ phones).

If you want to use it constantly, it is very power efficient when used with optical. I charge it after 3-4 days of regular use.

But if I were you, I would buy : http://www.head-fi.org/t/809203/fx-audio-dac-x6-2016-release-potential-sub-100-king. Keep in mind xd-05 produces much better sq than that though.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #969 of 2,100

Some Video of it here

It is normal, if you open it you will see the design it has is not made to fix its location properly.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #970 of 2,100
Newer Windows 10 releases (insider releases - creators update) contain specific driver for Usb audio 2.

I will never install thesycon driver again when I install creators update. Theyscon driver is buggy and very bad in my opinion.

So just wait some time for microsoft's driver to arrive to public or use insider build.

On the other hand,

Microsoft driver does not support ASIO or DSD but it supports WASAPI. Which is considered superior than asio.

Also, who uses DSD? It is an experimental thing in my opinion because PCM 16 bit 44khz is more than enough for human ears. Just use foobar with SoX resampler, dsd to pcm plugin and enjoy your music :)

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #971 of 2,100
  This item is really powerful, do not mind if it will not properly power 6x0 or something else (except DJ phones).

If you want to use it constantly, it is very power efficient when used with optical. I charge it after 3-4 days of regular use.

But if I were you, I would buy : http://www.head-fi.org/t/809203/fx-audio-dac-x6-2016-release-potential-sub-100-king. Keep in mind xd-05 produces much better sq than that though.

Thanks, yeah I have seen that one too, but it is not portable. 

My idea was to buy the xduoo now and use it mainly as a  desktop/laptop solution. And buy a dedicated desktop amp/dac like the shiit stack/o2+odac/nb-11 in ~6 months and use the xduoo only mobile for phone/laptop afterward. 

Think that's the best route I can take as far as I know, I am sure the xduoo is able to drive all my headphones except the 600/650 I am not sure about. 
The power is definitely there, but not sure about the voltage (Vrms) since this is this the most important factor to drive the HD6x0 properly.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #972 of 2,100
  Thanks, yeah I have seen that one too, but it is not portable. 

My idea was to buy the xduoo now and use it mainly as a  desktop/laptop solution. And buy a dedicated desktop amp/dac like the shiit stack/o2+odac/nb-11 in ~6 months and use the xduoo only mobile for phone/laptop afterward. 

Think that's the best route I can take as far as I know, I am sure the xduoo is able to drive all my headphones except the 600/650 I am not sure about. 
The power is definitely there, but not sure about the voltage (Vrms) since this is this the most important factor to drive the HD6x0 properly.

Xduoo XD-05 is quite powerful, can drive HD6x0 to a reasonable level.  

Comparing the DAC. I don't think o2+odac is an upgrade to XD-05. You probably better go for Jotunheim:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789886/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions/930#post_13296385

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #973 of 2,100

Xduoo XD-05 is quite powerful, can drive HD6x0 to a reasonable level.  

Comparing the DAC. I don't think o2+odac is an upgrade to XD-05. You probably better go for Jotunheim:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789886/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions/930#post_13296385

Thanks, I will probably go for the Xduoo for now then. 

Yeah the 02+odac was my least favourite tbh, Audio-gd's stuff on first spot, havent done much research tbh tho, but I have still at least 6 months to decide. 
wink.gif

Don't listen to my headphones during the summer much anyways, more important stuff to spend money on (festivals, vacation etc.)
After the summer we will see....

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #974 of 2,100

I have been using the XD-05 with my desktop PC and a pair of HD650. I leave it on low gain and I typically have the knob at 50%, which I personally think is loud enough, so you will have no problem with your 600\650.

I also use this on the go with my shanling m1.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the XD-05.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #975 of 2,100
I've just tried the XD-05 and I loved how it sounded with my Ultrasone Pro 2900, specially the impact and detail of bass when listening to electronic music. Is there any DAP at a reasonable price providing a similar sound? I'm trying the Fiio X5II but it sounds worse overall, a bit harsh, and bass is slower. Maybe adding an amp will improve something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back