xDuoo XD-05 Plus DAC & Amp - Desktop usage - Battery will die quickly? :(
Jul 27, 2022 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PoorBastard

Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought xDuoo XD-05 Plus a few days ago and I LOVE it! I've done A LOT of testing with other DACs & Amps up to $800 for a set and have chosen xDuoo.

BUT. Today I found out that when used as a desktop permanent device, it's not able to draw power directly from the USB Charge port and if USB Charge is always connected, it will always try to recharge the battery which can/will lead to faster battery deterioration.

How f.... am I? Do I have to be ready to change batteries often or manually control the USB charge all the time? Or it will be wise for me to return the unit in my case?

Kind regards,
Pavel

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 9
This is a good question that was fixed in the newer version of this device which has battery/external power supply switch. Since Plus version doesn't have it - yes, in desktop setup its battery would be dying of constant full charge... Inevitable pity it is.... Or, you can mod it by removing batt and supplying power from external linear power source...
Still it has other virtues like truly great sound and very wide scene depth and width

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you, IryxBRO.
>the newer version of this device which has battery/external power supply switch
Do you mean the Bal version, which is $429?

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Realistically it is probably only a problem every 5-7 years as a Lithium battery's lifespan is tied to the number of charge cycles and the depth of discharge. A battery that is drained to near empty will likely have a lifecycle of 300-500 charge cycles while a battery that is topped-up from only 10% drain may last 2000 or more charge cycles before needing replacement. Yes, you will likely eventually need a replacement battery, no it won't be on a regular basis and the even better news is replacements are $29 and available on amazon as it is a standard size cell. Replacing it is literally unscrew the front cover, pull the guts out, unplug the battery connector and plug in the new one, slide it back together and replace the 4 screws so no soldering involved and not a matter of having to return it for factory service. I have had an original XD-05 for several years now and it gets a good bit of use by the kids and the original battery is still going strong.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Realistically it is probably only a problem every 5-7 years as a Lithium battery's lifespan is tied to the number of charge cycles and the depth of discharge. A battery that is drained to near empty will likely have a lifecycle of 300-500 charge cycles while a battery that is topped-up from only 10% drain may last 2000 or more charge cycles before needing replacement. Yes, you will likely eventually need a replacement battery, no it won't be on a regular basis and the even better news is replacements are $29 and available on amazon as it is a standard size cell. Replacing it is literally unscrew the front cover, pull the guts out, unplug the battery connector and plug in the new one, slide it back together and replace the 4 screws so no soldering involved and not a matter of having to return it for factory service. I have had an original XD-05 for several years now and it gets a good bit of use by the kids and the original battery is still going strong.
Thank you, that gives me some relief.
My calculations: Let's say it will do 3x10% recharge cycles a day. Then 2000/3 ~ 700 days ~2 years. The last card served me 8 years, so it means I will need to buy 3 replacement batteries for a similar lifespan = $87. I guess that's not too bad.
And in case these theoretical calculations are wrong and I will have to replace the battery much sooner, I can buy a replacement and sell the card as used to someone who will use it on the go...

Jul 27, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 9
It won't be a problem for the time you're likely to use it :)

Battery replacement is rather easy on it too, so don't worry too much
Thank you, George. I'd used my previous DAC for at least 8 years though, or even more :)
I'm ok to buy replacement batteries as long as it's not every 6 months or so.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Hello there, could you provide the amazon link for the battery?
I've been trying to find a battery replacement for my XD05 Bal

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Hello there, could you provide the amazon link for the battery?
I've been trying to find a battery replacement for my XD05 Bal
I'm not at all sure the balanced takes the same cell as I believe it has a larger capacity battery. If you look at the battery it should have a series of numbers on it that define the size/type and that number is standard nomenclature for LiPo battery packs so googling the number should give you options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back