xDuoo X3, FiiO X1 or X3 2nd gen, or something else? Upgrading from Clip Zip
Feb 8, 2016 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Solasuke

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all, newcomer here.

So my delightful Clip Zip is slowly biting the dust. I've had it for just over a year, and have listened to it everyday ever since. This, and what I think is the bad habit of leaving it to charge overnight have led to its battery lasting no longer than about an hour.

I loved the Clip Zip's ability to play and do just about anything. You all know the virtues of Rockbox.

Now here's the difficult part, what shall I upgrade to? 

The xDuoo X3 seems like the natural successor; I love the quality of the build relative to the price. Dual memory card slots, the size, even the lock switch. The battery life could be better, but almost anything is preferable to what I'm dealing with now. What holds me back is the UI. It's very limited. From what I last heard, there is no resume playback (I listen to a lot of podcasts), limited playlist capabilities (which also matters to me), some issues with FLAC and bugs in playback, and a point of triviality - I really do like seeing album art.

My next choices come down to the FiiO X1 and FiiO X3ii. I don't know the ins and outs and how much has changed since they were first reviewed, but they both sound pretty great, the X3ii especially. But basically, I don't see the point of buying an X1 and not buying an X3, if it's something I'm going to commit to for at least the next year. The better battery life is also a plus.

I am not what I'd consider an audiophile, but I am moving in that direction, and quality does matter to me. I'm looking for something ideally not much more than £100 (and the X3ii is already around £165 on amazon). I also plan to use it as my everyday player, including things like running and going to the gym (something I think the clip zip is firmly the master of). Rockbox or a strong UI is also a firm request unless there really is something amazing out there or the xDuoo X3 is just simply worth it anyway. Radio would be cool but is by no means necessary. I pretty much want the best successor to the Clip Zip.

Anyway if you've read this far, thank you and I welcome all suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back