• Dual Wolfson WM8470 or CS4398 DAC chips
  • XMOS USB chip
  • Supports up to 192 kHz/24-bit playback
  • Asynchronous USB 2.0 transmission
  • 12AU7 tube
  • Transistors for class-A buffer
  • Supports ASIO, KS, and WASAPI modes
  • Inputs: USB 2.0, RCA (L, R)
  • Output: ¼ in (6.3 mm) headphone jack, RCA (L, R)
  • Detachable power cord with North American plug
  • Operating voltage: DC 12 V
  • Frequency response: AMP 10 Hz – 100 kHz +/- 0.5 dB; USB 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
  • USB sample rate: 16 – 24 bit; 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
  • Distortion: 0.03% (1 kHz)
  • Output power: 2100 mW (32-ohm load)
  • Gain: +6 / +17 dB
  • Crosstalk: 110 dB
  • Impedance: 16 – 600 ohm
  • Wolfson chip model has high gain jumper.
  • Overvoltage and overcurrent protection
  • Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.2 x 3.2 in (14 x 8 x 8.2 cm)
  • Weight: 14.5 oz (410 g)

FOR USERS WITH CIRRUS LOGIC DAC PLEASE INSTALL THIS DRIVER: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dAPrE9w1vGjcApPwF0p6S_p5l863WJmc
This updated firmware named TA-01B will unlock your revised TA-01 to be a 32-bit DAC. New runs may have it installed but there are quiet a number with the old firmware which limits functionality.
  1. Unzip
  2. Install driver
  3. Follow steps on document to update firmware
  4. Enjoy 32-bit functionality

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 20
Just got mine on Massdrop and it has serious power, it drives my T50RP really loud at 12 o'clock. Sounds great too.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 20
I haven't experienced any other $100 dac/amp combo that compares to the TA-01.
I originally purchased it through MassDrop and then sold it, only to re-purchase shortly after... I had seller's remorse.

While not truly "portable", it's small enough and certainly rugged enough to pack for business or vacation travel.
Like other USB audio devices, it connects easily and reliably with my OS X computers.
The unit has about a 7 sec warm-up delay and then it's ready for business. I often leave it on much longer before use, though.
My 1-line review is that I'm keeping the TA-01 to remind me of how little it costs to get a smooth sound with clear separation and plenty of punch.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 20
I haven't experienced any other $100 dac/amp combo that compares to the TA-01.
I originally purchased it through MassDrop and then sold it, only to re-purchase shortly after... I had seller's remorse.

While not truly "portable", it's small enough and certainly rugged enough to pack for business or vacation travel.
Like other USB audio devices, it connects easily and reliably with my OS X computers.
The unit has about a 7 sec warm-up delay and then it's ready for business. I often leave it on much longer before use, though.
My 1-line review is that I'm keeping the TA-01 to remind me of how little it costs to get a smooth sound with clear separation and plenty of punch.

Do you have the Wolfson or the updated version? Check my link above.

Try find a IEC or Hammond Maullard on ebay with strong test results, they can be had for about $30. Pure Mullards are $60+ but these re-brands are essentially the same thing and it improves the sound by a lot even compared to gold lions or electro harmonix gold pins.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 20
Do you have the Wolfson or the updated version? Check my link above.

Try find a IEC or Hammond Maullard on ebay with strong test results, they can be had for about $30. Pure Mullards are $60+ but these re-brands are essentially the same thing and it improves the sound by a lot even compared to gold lions or electro harmonix gold pins.
I have the dual CS4398's. A while back, I posted a photo on the MassDrop site under my same id.
Good recom on the Hammond tube, I'm planning on ordering several other tubes and I'll add that one to it.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 20
Yea just has to be the Great Britain one as there are some Hammond from Holland.

I have an IEC which actually has mullard on the tube itself and the Hammond is pretty much identical.

I also picked up the TA-10 it's pretty nice. Had one niggle the magnetic tube guard had the magnets on the wrong way but other that it's great.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 20
Yea just has to be the Great Britain one as there are some Hammond from Holland.

I have an IEC which actually has mullard on the tube itself and the Hammond is pretty much identical.

I also picked up the TA-10 it's pretty nice. Had one niggle the magnetic tube guard had the magnets on the wrong way but other that it's great.
I considered getting the TA-10 in the recent drop but I have too many DAC sources already. If they had offered the TA-20 I would have jumped on it.
The TA-01 & XD-05 have been solid goto's when needed... dependable, dead quiet, and can drive any headphones I've owned. I can't even say that about my Mojo.
I usually keep the TA-01 warmed up for a comparative listen of whatever other device I'm trying out at the time.

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 20

What kind of differences are you hearing between the TA-10 and TA-01 ?

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Seems to have little more impact with bass. It also has cleaner bass delivery and more resolving with highs, it's not by much but you can tell when you A B it.

EDIT: The TA-10 is a little more analytical cleaner sub bass and the 01 has a bit more mid bass and is actually a little more powerful.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 20
Hello,

I recently bought the upgraded model in Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-01b-headphone-amp.

The newer model has an USB-C interface and connecting to my iPhone with USB-c to lightning cable did not help at all. Not even an error message on the phone. Connecting to Windows 10 did not require any driver installation and sound was smooth and I could notice better separation on both my Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 and DT 1770.

If I used the RCA inputs, would the tube section be bypassed? I am interested in changing the stock tube to a Mullard and I have it and another GE 5814A coming on the way. Any feedback would be of so much help!

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 20
Is the tube useless when connecting via RCA inputs alone or does it still affect sound quality?
From MassDrop: "The RCA jacks pull double duty as input for the amp and output for the DAC..."
So, when you plug in RCA jacks from some other source, and no USB connection to the TA-01B, the tube will be used for amplifying the signal input from the RCA jacks and that amplified signal is sent out through the 1/4" headphone jack.
If you do have a USB input to the TA-01B then anything connected to the RCA jacks will receive the output of the TA-01B DAC (not including the tube amplification).
The only way to hear the TA-01B combined DAC and tube amp output is through the 1/4" headphone jack with a USB input.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 20
From MassDrop: "The RCA jacks pull double duty as input for the amp and output for the DAC..."
So, when you plug in RCA jacks from some other source, and no USB connection to the TA-01B, the tube will be used for amplifying the signal input from the RCA jacks and that amplified signal is sent out through the 1/4" headphone jack.
If you do have a USB input to the TA-01B then anything connected to the RCA jacks will receive the output of the TA-01B DAC (not including the tube amplification).
The only way to hear the TA-01B combined DAC and tube amp output is through the 1/4" headphone jack with a USB input.

Thank you, KC-130. That was what I was looking for. I spoke to xDuoo support yesterday and they replied to my email saying that the device does not support connecting to phone. I thought this was strange because an Amazon.com customer had answered a question saying he used the USB to lightning successfully on his iPhone. Maybe, the Apple CCK USB3 model might work but am not sure. If anyone using it this way, it would be nice to share their experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back