xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #3,376 of 3,839
Have been using the Gryphon on the go connected to my iphone 13 pro max via Bluetooth for the past year and via lightning cable when listening at home. Really like the sound of the device. Recently have been really tempted to switch to the Samsung S23 Ultra but was wondering how stable LDAC was in terms of connectivity and also if Android still suffers from sample rate conversion when outputting audio via USB.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #3,377 of 3,839
Have been using the Gryphon on the go connected to my iphone 13 pro max via Bluetooth for the past year and via lightning cable when listening at home. Really like the sound of the device. Recently have been really tempted to switch to the Samsung S23 Ultra but was wondering how stable LDAC was in terms of connectivity and also if Android still suffers from sample rate conversion when outputting audio via USB.

I have no experience with Samsung, I currently use a Motorola.

In LDAC the stability I get depends a lot on which of the 3 LDAC bitrates I choose (I force).

If I force 990kbs the stability is poor if they are in movement, good if I'm stationary and have smartphones and DACs nearby.

Regarding the sample rate on android, using like
UAPP player and external DAC connected via cable, Android audio stack is bypassed, without having sample rate conversions.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #3,378 of 3,839

Hi.

I have the S22 Ultra and the LDAC is perfect. I think I remember that the first time I had to force it from the bluetooth connection properties, but then it always connects without problems. With applications like UAPP or Neutron there are no problems with bit reduction either, although I have not tried others.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #3,379 of 3,839
To stream movie audio from my Nvidia Shield I've opted for a small form lightweight bluetooth device (BTR7). I've been reassessing my requirements and in looking for an upgrade realized that due to the low battery life I often end up charging from my shield, which is configured to switch over to USB audio ouput, which has now highlighted the quality over bluetooth. As bluetooth will still be handy for occasional use but a majority could be USB powered to preserve the battery, I was wondering if anyone can please confirm that the Gryphon can bypass the battery and be powered by USB? If so, will the Shields's USB 3 output going through a hub still meet the power requirements?

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #3,380 of 3,839
To stream movie audio from my Nvidia Shield I've opted for a small form lightweight bluetooth device (BTR7). I've been reassessing my requirements and in looking for an upgrade realized that due to the low battery life I often end up charging from my shield, which is configured to switch over to USB audio ouput, which has now highlighted the quality over bluetooth. As bluetooth will still be handy for occasional use but a majority could be USB powered to preserve the battery, I was wondering if anyone can please confirm that the Gryphon can bypass the battery and be powered by USB? If so, will the Shields's USB 3 output going through a hub still meet the power requirements?

There is a toggle in the Gryphon menu that switches "Dual port charge" on or off.

Contrary to the name "Dual Port Charge" is actually "Single Port Charge" in practice and it allows the USB to power the Gryphon at the same time as transferring data.

I don't believe it literally bypasses the battery, more it charges the battery as needed, so how much it is a true desktop mode is open to speculation, I am not sure ifI have ever stated definitively.

I don't know how that would work with a hub I am sorry.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #3,381 of 3,839
There is a toggle in the Gryphon menu that switches "Dual port charge" on or off.

Contrary to the name "Dual Port Charge" is actually "Single Port Charge" in practice and it allows the USB to power the Gryphon at the same time as transferring data.

I don't believe it literally bypasses the battery, more it charges the battery as needed, so how much it is a true desktop mode is open to speculation, I am not sure ifI have ever stated definitively.

I don't know how that would work with a hub I am sorry.
Thanks for your reply.
Actually I've never had a device for more than a few years for the battery to degrade, but as I might purchase a secondhand unit it was something that I could reduce the pact of.
The BTR7 doesn't have a long battery life so I tend to be topping it up every 3‐4 days with and hour to 90 minutes daily use

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #3,382 of 3,839
I saw this post on reddit that appears to be from an iFi staff which seems to imply the battery can be bypassed. From this I'm assuming that the battery is monitored and topped up but it is actually running from USB power?

gryphon as a desktop dac... _ iFiaudio — Mozilla Firefox 25_02_2023 07_43_53.png

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #3,383 of 3,839
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #3,384 of 3,839
Feb 24, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #3,385 of 3,839
I saw this post on reddit that appears to be from an iFi staff which seems to imply the battery can be bypassed. From this I'm assuming that the battery is monitored and topped up but it is actually running from USB power?

I suspect that is right.

If running hard to drive low impedance planar headphones off the Gryphon with dual port charge on and pushing the volume right up the Gryphon will momentarily pause and then continue. I infer that is it dropping back to battery so logically it isn’t on the battery when on power, well not entirely.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #3,386 of 3,839
Thank you, I haven't got that far reading the thread yet.
If it really bypassed the battery then it would work with a totally flat battery would it not, it doesn't. I suspect the battery bypass mentioned by Ifi isn't the same as what most people would consider as battery bypass.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #3,387 of 3,839
Hello there, if it is not too much bother could you please help if you get the same results as per below steps. I'm not sure if that is as expected or some issue. Please note the noise as mentioned below is different from the hissing noise which is related to the sensitive IEMs.

Steps to replicate:
1. Connect any IEM (even with less sensitivity) in 4.4mm output next to the volume knob. Is doesn't come from 3.5mm.
2. Switch-on the ifi Gryphon.
3. Keep the volume at any level or even in Mute.
4. Change to Bluetooth mode. You will start hearing some static noise similar to the one when FM is not able to catch a radio station and some static noise comes. Although it is not very loud but easily heard in IEMs.
5. After a few seconds this static noise will stop and it will convert to some continuous noise which repeats at each second interval. It is like - tak tak tak tak
6. If you change the mode to any other like USB, this noise will stop in 5-7 seconds but if you come back to Bluetooth mode, the same gets repeated as in point 4 and 5.

I understand that high sensitive IEMs get hissing noise, which I'm aware having GO Blu. But this noise in Gryphon is different. I have got 2nd piece and the same noise. I just wanted to confirm if it is normal behavior. Also, I do not see any impact on sound quality due to this.

PS: this noise is very less but audible if no song is playing. Is song is playing then no issues.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #3,388 of 3,839
If it really bypassed the battery then it would work with a totally flat battery would it not, it doesn't. I suspect the battery bypass mentioned by Ifi isn't the same as what most people would consider as battery bypass.

I totally understand what you are saying but effectively bypassing the battery and actually bypassing the battery such that it could be completely removed seem to be quite different things.

I don’t know that any of us really understand to exactly what extent the battery is actually bypassed on any of these devices.

A lot of noise is made of Mojo 2 desktop mode, only time will tell if it effectively means the battery will last indefinitely versus the original Mojo that seems to have such a bad name for battery life.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #3,389 of 3,839
Hello there, if it is not too much bother could you please help if you get the same results as per below steps. I'm not sure if that is as expected or some issue. Please note the noise as mentioned below is different from the hissing noise which is related to the sensitive IEMs.

Steps to replicate:
1. Connect any IEM (even with less sensitivity) in 4.4mm output next to the volume knob. Is doesn't come from 3.5mm.
2. Switch-on the ifi Gryphon.
3. Keep the volume at any level or even in Mute.
4. Change to Bluetooth mode. You will start hearing some static noise similar to the one when FM is not able to catch a radio station and some static noise comes. Although it is not very loud but easily heard in IEMs.
5. After a few seconds this static noise will stop and it will convert to some continuous noise which repeats at each second interval. It is like - tak tak tak tak
6. If you change the mode to any other like USB, this noise will stop in 5-7 seconds but if you come back to Bluetooth mode, the same gets repeated as in point 4 and 5.

I understand that high sensitive IEMs get hissing noise, which I'm aware having GO Blu. But this noise in Gryphon is different. I have got 2nd piece and the same noise. I just wanted to confirm if it is normal behavior. Also, I do not see any impact on sound quality due to this.

PS: this noise is very less but audible if no song is playing. Is song is playing then no issues.

I didn’t replicate the exact situation but yes there is some background noise in bluetooth mode with no music playing.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #3,390 of 3,839
I didn’t replicate the exact situation but yes there is some background noise in bluetooth mode with no music playing.
Thanks a lot for checking and confirming. I was worried as that noise comes from the connected IEM even if you put Gryphon on mute. So I thought if it was a manufacturing defect. But this seems to be a normal behaviour. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back