xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #3,361 of 3,839
Thanks to mostly positive feedback in this thread I also bought the Gryphon few weeks back. Have used it now for some time in combination with iphone7 and Meze 109Pro/Sennheiser ie300 and it is a fantastic sounding amp. The software update is pretty complicated though if I compare it to any other gadget I have (Garmin, Sena, etc). No problems with battery so far.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #3,362 of 3,839
Thanks to mostly positive feedback in this thread I also bought the Gryphon few weeks back. Have used it now for some time in combination with iphone7 and Meze 109Pro/Sennheiser ie300 and it is a fantastic sounding amp. The software update is pretty complicated though if I compare it to any other gadget I have (Garmin, Sena, etc). No problems with battery so far.
There seems some having batterie issues yes, hopefully that stays incidental.

I love the device, even runs my hifiman Arya stealth (not to it’s max quality, but very good sounding though!) so a very versatile device. So portable with quite some power.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #3,363 of 3,839
Price to performance ratio is really great IMHO. Been enjoying all of my IEMs with it 👍

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #3,364 of 3,839

The main firmware and Bluetooth firmware updates are actually very simple, I genuinely mean VERY simple, once you understand the process, and even the process isn’t remotely complicated.

The problem is the instructions are very poorly written which makes the updates a lot more complicated sounding than the process really is.

Perhaps ifI should interpret the “Chinglish” instructions into proper English to clearly outline the steps. Every forum or FB audio page serms to be littered with people asking “how do I update the firmware”.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #3,365 of 3,839
nothing special, of course
but the following is my current way to add parametric EQ to Gryphon:

96B0E899-4E41-472B-B313-D7A6187B5E3F.jpeg

I have used the unbalanced stereo output of Qudelix 5K (set at 100% of output volume) connected to line-in of Gryphon.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3,367 of 3,839
Why not use USB Audio Player Pro or some other app that has parametric EQ and omit the 5 K ?

surely yours is a good idea.
But I have UAPP set to bit-perfect and as far as I know the EQ is disabled in that condition.

I also find the QUDELIX app very practical and comfortable to use, with all those EQ profiles already ready..

Other than, I primarily use the iPhone via BT to stream music to DAC.

Obviously with the method I use the DAC used is that of the QUDELIX and not that of the Gryphon, with all the possible consequences on the SQ.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,368 of 3,839
surely yours is a good idea.
But I have UAPP set to bit-perfect and as far as I know the EQ is disabled in that condition.

I also find the QUDELIX app very practical and comfortable to use, with all those EQ profiles already ready..

Other than, I primarily use the iPhone via BT to stream music to DAC.

Obviously with the method I use the DAC used is that of the QUDELIX and not that of the Gryphon, with all the possible consequences on the SQ.

I find it odd to worry about bit perfect but using the headphone out as a line out and at the same time using bluetooth.

So long as you enjoy it that is all that matters.

These sort of work arounds are the reason I make sure I like my headphones and IEM without EQ, makes life do much simpler as a general rule.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,369 of 3,839
I find it odd to worry about bit perfect but using the headphone out as a line out and at the same time using bluetooth.

So long as you enjoy it that is all that matters.

These sort of work arounds are the reason I make sure I like my headphones and IEM without EQ, makes life do much simpler as a general rule.

no no, I don't worry about the bit-perfect.
I use two different configurations depending on the type of listening.
For a more analytical quality listening, I have UAPP configured in bit-perfect via cable.
For everyday listening I use the BT.
But even in less analytical listening, it is useful
for me to use PEQ.

Sure, I understand that there is an impedance
mismatch from headphone out to line-in,
but I don't hear any particular SQ degradation because of this.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #3,370 of 3,839
Has anyone actually got the charge to 70% thing working, I often use my gryphon at the desk and I've tried:
1. Turning it on, charging on the main charge port. - the charging light starts flashing green at some point which means it's above 85% I think.
2. Enabling charging on the second port. Turn on and charge, same results as 1.
3. Combos of the above which involve usb in listening whilst charging on the other port, charging and listening on the same port. - I just never seem to be able to get it to stop charging at 70%.

I'm on the latest firmware for both bluetooth (2.16) and xmos (1.61) and I did a factory reset after installing those. Am I missing something here?

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #3,371 of 3,839
Has anyone actually got the charge to 70% thing working, I often use my gryphon at the desk and I've tried:
1. Turning it on, charging on the main charge port. - the charging light starts flashing green at some point which means it's above 85% I think.
2. Enabling charging on the second port. Turn on and charge, same results as 1.
3. Combos of the above which involve usb in listening whilst charging on the other port, charging and listening on the same port. - I just never seem to be able to get it to stop charging at 70%.

I'm on the latest firmware for both bluetooth (2.16) and xmos (1.61) and I did a factory reset after installing those. Am I missing something here?

Just guessing but perhaps the 70% charge limit when the unit is turned on becomes the new 100% if that makes sense.

So the 85% charged indicator light is 85% of 100% when the Gryphon is turned off and is 85% of 70% when the Gryphon is turned on ?

Perhaps if you were really concerned you could charge it fully overnight with it turned off and run it with a specific headphone at a specific volume all day and observe when the battery runs out.

The next night charge it with it turned on, presumably only to 70% of the batteries absolute maximum, and repeat the test the following day, the expectation being that the battery won't last as long because it presumably isn't charged to maximum capacity regardless of what the light colour suggests.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #3,372 of 3,839
I'm looking for an over-ear headphone for portable use with my iFi Gryphon or FiiO M11 Plus. My desktop setup is HD6XX with an iFi Zen Can Signature and I'm quite happy with it. I don't feel like I get the same dynamic impact from my portable setup with the "hard to drive" 300 ohm HD6XX. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD660S as an easier to drive choice ($299 currently). Other suggestions would be appreciated. I might consider closed-backs if that is a better path. I'm not looking for exotic or super high-dollar at this point... Or, better yet, tell me it's just my imagination and the Gryphon drives the HD6XX just fine... :wink:
Edition XS for open-back, WP900 for closed-back.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #3,374 of 3,839
Hi all, I am experiencing difficulties in updating the xdsd gryphon Bluetooth firmware. I downloaded the v2.16 from ifi website, installed the gaia app, selected the proper update file, but then facing this:

Screenshot_20230223-111112_GAIA Client.jpg

Can someone help? @iFi audio

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #3,375 of 3,839
It is not clear from your description whether you do the following: You need to plug into mains your Gryphon AFTER you have switched it on! Quoting from their site's FAQ section "Charge to ~70% only by turning on the device first before plugging in power."
Apologies, that was a terrible description. I do switch the device on with nothing except the headphones plugged in (also have done without headphones) and then plug in the power cable after that.

BS5711's post would make sense. I thought I'd try a less time consuming test by turning on and then plugging in the power cable and letting it charge to full and then unplug everything, power off the device and then plug in the power cable and then power on the device, thinking the battery would be down to around 70% but that didn't seem to be the case. I'm guessing I'd have to actually try the suggested running it to empty from both a powered on and then power cable inserted charge, and a powered off and power cable inserted charge to really know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back