xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #3,001 of 3,839
Just joined the club...I think listening to this device BT connected to my smartphone is more than enough (on the go).
Don't really need to carry a ~300g A&K SE180 with me all the time.

DSC_0973_1.jpg

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #3,002 of 3,839
My Fiio devices have been very good, barely noticeable. Some devices/players have a compensation setting, I think my Nvidia Shield may have the option, VLC definitely does, not sure of Nexflix app.
VLC these days can apply the audio offset to the device so when you change app to netflix / amazon etc the sync offset will also be applied. Works on my TAB S8U anyway, pretty cool. The only thing I've not figured with Samsung is how to force best quality for LDAC, it always defaults to adaptive then I need to go into dev options for best sq.

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #3,003 of 3,839
@kaushama

Hey! Hi and sorry for your problem with the Gryphon.

I am in a very big doubt about the Gryphon, and I can see that you had/have the iDSD Black.
Can you tell me something about it? Nothing large and very specific, just if there is a difference, how big and so on... I am looking at something more portable, but with the (well, same or above sound quality)... I am looking at the Diablo also, and depending of how much could I win or lose between my change, maybe look at the Mojo 2, even thought I am not akin of the design and I don't remember the sound (I had the first edition)...

I use Tidal a lot, and MQA is not like water, but is popping here and there, so it's something that I would like.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,004 of 3,839
@kaushama

I am in a very big doubt about the Gryphon, and I can see that you had/have the iDSD Black.
Can you tell me something about it? Nothing large and very specific, just if there is a difference, how big and so on... I am looking at something more portable, but with the (well, same or above sound quality)... I am looking at the Diablo also, and depending of how much could I win or lose between my change, maybe look at the Mojo 2, even thought I am not akin of the design and I don't remember the sound (I had the first edition)...

I use Tidal a lot, and MQA is not like water, but is popping here and there, so it's something that I would like.

Cheers!
They did a blind test between the mojo2 and the gryphon, there was actually not a clear winner, they both ended as really good and near impossible to detect from one each other (ofcourse there are propably micro detail differences, it just says more how good both are)
Only benefit I do see with the Gryphon, it is way more versatile, you have everything in one device. Where with the Mojo you need to buy another device to get

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #3,005 of 3,839
Could you explain the last part differently, what do you mean exactly? Because there are two usb-c port the charge en signal usb port?

I actually don’t understand the bypass internal battery charging?

So if I understand correctly It would not be using the battery after this (in other words safe the battery, by not continously charging/discharging but use usb power instead?
bump, @iFi could you help me out with the question?

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #3,006 of 3,839
They did a blind test between the mojo2 and the gryphon, there was actually not a clear winner, they both ended as really good and near impossible to detect from one each other (ofcourse there are propably micro detail differences, it just says more how good both are)
Only benefit I do see with the Gryphon, it is way more versatile, you have everything in one device. Where with the Mojo you need to buy another device to get

Oh, thank you for the reply.
I use only with IEM, I don't use headphones.
Also, I have one xDSD, like the xCAN, but I barely used, specially as a DAC. I guess it's pretty much because of my hate towards the micro USB cable/standard.

Can you tell me how long it takes to charge the Gryphon?
I would have bought it a long ago, but it's hard to find a distributor/seller that sends to the tropical hell Brazil.
I just got one iBasso DX320, but freaking f.... Jesus, it's absolutely gigantic. Not big, gigantic. I can't really accept how giant this thing is, even to use in bed, it's just ridiculous.
And it's getting worse and worse, like to show good sound quality, those companies need to make a widescreen "portable TV", with the weight of a Melon and a sub internal hardware... Always a mediocre processor, ram, OS...

I think iFi have, at least with the Gryphon, something that I probably will enjoy, without having to use a robotic arm.
It helps a lot for who listen to streaming, and that's my problem. If I listened only or basically to my library, i would use only my Lotoo Paw Gold or the Gold Touch, that are something that, as "mp3 player", are very special.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,007 of 3,839
Oh, thank you for the reply.
I use only with IEM, I don't use headphones.
Also, I have one xDSD, like the xCAN, but I barely used, specially as a DAC. I guess it's pretty much because of my hate towards the micro USB cable/standard.

Can you tell me how long it takes to charge the Gryphon?
I would have bought it a long ago, but it's hard to find a distributor/seller that sends to the tropical hell Brazil.
I just got one iBasso DX320, but freaking f.... Jesus, it's absolutely gigantic. Not big, gigantic. I can't really accept how giant this thing is, even to use in bed, it's just ridiculous.
And it's getting worse and worse, like to show good sound quality, those companies need to make a widescreen "portable TV", with the weight of a Melon and a sub internal hardware... Always a mediocre processor, ram, OS...

I think iFi have, at least with the Gryphon, something that I probably will enjoy, without having to use a robotic arm.
It helps a lot for who listen to streaming, and that's my problem. If I listened only or basically to my library, i would use only my Lotoo Paw Gold or the Gold Touch, that are something that, as "mp3 player", are very special.
Charging doesn’t take that long, it supports quick charging. Maybe few hours max.

Yes the high end dap’s are to big and bulky indeed. I use the gryphon wired and wireless. With al music formats from sacd/dsd, mqa, 192khz 24 bit files etc…. With my phone

I use it with my shures se846 gen2

But going to order a hifiman ananda stealth edition as well, just heared it with a the gryphon this weekend, amazing!!!!

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,008 of 3,839
@kaushama

Cheers!

The Diablo is not a good choice if you are mainly an IEM user as you stated in another post.

It has far more power than needed for all but a handful of very power hungry IEM, channel imbalance at low volume knob settings might be a very significant problem and you will have a very narrow usable range on the volume knob even on the lowest gain setting.

I don't have any problem using Diablo with my IEM but none are particularly sensitive. I use it at a desk and the very fine control needed over the volume knob is not a problem for me. If used as a portable device a very small bump on the volume knob could be very bad for your hearing. I use it with IEM because it sounds good not because it is a good choice overall. I have it for headphones and the IEM use is a bonus for me.

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #3,009 of 3,839
@kaushama

Cheers!
Have you looked at the idsd micro signature as an option. I have one & use it with all my iems & couldn't be happier. I was looking at the Gryphon but a few that owned the signature & the Gryphon recommended the signature for slightly better sound & stage.
I do plan on buying the Gryphon also at some stage for on the go but I use the signature for sitting at home or on the bed etc.
The signature is not much larger than my sp1000m astell&kern that I attached to the top with clear double sided tape.

Attachments

• 16684687307305259922338259709840.jpg
    16684687307305259922338259709840.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #3,010 of 3,839
Have you looked at the idsd micro signature as an option. I have one & use it with all my iems & couldn't be happier. I was looking at the Gryphon but a few that owned the signature & the Gryphon recommended the signature for slightly better sound & stage.
I do plan on buying the Gryphon also at some stage for on the go but I use the signature for sitting at home or on the bed etc.
The signature is not much larger than my sp1000m astell&kern that I attached to the top with clear double sided tape.
It really depends what iem you use, some are really sensitive, and the volume button is in some cases not fine enough for that.

For the rest the idsd signature is a amazing sounding device which wins from the gryphon in sound quality, but certaenly not night and day as some say. The Gryphon is already a real good device that can even make a hifiman arya sound good.

I do think the signature is already to bulky even in bed, and is missing bluetooth, which in some cases is quite handy.

In a nutshell, they are both great devices, but you have t think for yourself the usecase

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #3,011 of 3,839
I bought the Gryphon for its portability and versatility. iDSD is a marvelous unit but it does not have 4.4 mm out. I think the Signature has such an option. I do not see it as a portable unit. Rather transportable.
On paper, Gryphon should take 5 to 6 hours the charge with a suitable charger. The first unit I had charged within two hours and the second one took 5 hours but was losing the charge within days.
I use Tidal and Qobuz a lot and Gryphon is an ideal device to couple my tablet or phone on the go for Hi-rez listening. I bought an IE600 and the combo sounded very good.
I sent the unit back to the dealer and they are checking for another unit before sending it back to me. I hope the third time would be a success for me.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,012 of 3,839
Folks, just FYI :wink:

How to power the xDSD Gryphon using USB instead of the internal battery?
(Universal with all XDSD Gryphon versions of the software)

Step 1: Press and hold the Power/Volume button for 3s to turn on the screen.

Step 2: Press and hold the Multi-functional Settings button to engage the menu screen. Turn the Power/Volume knob to the USB Dual Port Charge option, press the Power/Volume knob once to enter the next sub-menu and turn the Power/Volume knob again to select the 'On' position. Then wait for a few seconds without doing anything (...or press the Power/Volume button once) to jump to the main screen automatically and complete the setting.

Step 3: After completing the above two steps, the xDSD Gryphon's Type-C USB port used will bypass its battery and input the audio signal normally. The prerequisite is that the input channel needs to be selected to USB. Also the battery level will be checked and the battery itself will be charged to its full capacity.

Am I the only one crazy not understanding the last part? Which of the two usb-port do they mean? Okay usb selected, check, connect cable to phone check.

But how is it bypassing (using the battery) if it is still charging?

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #3,013 of 3,839
Am I the only one crazy not understanding the last part? Which of the two usb-port do they mean? Okay usb selected, check, connect cable to phone check.

But how is it bypassing (using the battery) if it is still charging?

From my understanding (@iFi, correct me if I'm wrong) the usb-port meant for the audio input is referred to. (As the explanation says: "<..>*and input the audio signal normally"). So that one USB-C port (the one closest to the center) will be used for both powering the Gryphon AND as an input for the audio (AND charging the battery).

Suppose you have a fixed (non-mobile) setup, with an audio device that is connected to a main power supply. This audio device has a USB-output which can power the gryphon directly, AND deliver the audio over the same USB input on the Gryphon. (As an example: a Raspberry Pi connected to a main power supply, and the usb-output connected to the usb-input on the GRyphon).

In this situation, the battery will be charged to full capacity, but it won't actually be used to power the Gryphon. The power comes from the other device's USB output.

Again, the disclaimer: this is how I interpret this setting. :wink:

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,014 of 3,839
From my understanding (@iFi, correct me if I'm wrong) the usb-port meant for the audio input is referred to. (As the explanation says: "<..>*and input the audio signal normally"). So that one USB-C port (the one closest to the center) will be used for both powering the Gryphon AND as an input for the audio (AND charging the battery).

Suppose you have a fixed (non-mobile) setup, with an audio device that is connected to a main power supply. This audio device has a USB-output which can power the gryphon directly, AND deliver the audio over the same USB input on the Gryphon. (As an example: a Raspberry Pi connected to a main power supply, and the usb-output connected to the usb-input on the GRyphon).

In this situation, the battery will be charged to full capacity, but it won't actually be used to power the Gryphon. The power comes from the other device's USB output.

Again, the disclaimer: this is how I interpret this setting. :wink:
So if I understand correctly, with that setting, you use the usb-c port that is also used for powering the gryphon also for the audio transfer as well.

And in that case it charges the devices fully and stops charging after that, and for powering and playing it uses that usb-c port. And takes usb power from for example a mac or pc. so saving battery wear in that case?

Ifi’s explanation is kind of really unclear to me.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #3,015 of 3,839
So if I understand correctly, with that setting, you use the usb-c port that is also used for powering the gryphon also for the audio transfer as well.
No. You can't use the charging port for audio. This is all about the AUDIO usb-c input. That one, you can ALSO use for charging the Gryphon and / or powering it.

Hence the setting is named "dual port charge". One port is used exclusively for charging (the one closest to the edge), and the other port (which is normally used exclusively for audio transfer) can also be used for charging and powering the Gryphon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back