xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2,986 of 3,839
The support team wants me to return the unit for the second time. It should not be losing charge whilst it is being powered down. :cry::cry:

That's the info I got today as well, thanks for updating everyone :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,990 of 3,839
I just saw a nice price on a secondhand unit that finally puts the Gryphon within reach. My intended use would be mostly for movie audio via bluetooth from my Nvidia Shield.
I currently use the BTR7 and have no complaints but was wondering if the Gryphon with it's xBass and xSpace, plus higher tier components might take it up a couple of levels?
Does anyone use for TV/movie audio with these features enabled? Does it have a dramatic impact on battery life?
I used to own the original xDSD (for music) and loved the sound but let it go for several reasons: I didn't like that I had to use a pigtail for my 4.4mm terminated headphones and most of all I had constant dropouts with bluetooth that I have never experienced with any other device. The Gryphon looks like they've knocked it out of the park for design and features.
Apologies I haven't had time to read this thread, are there any known issues that might interfere with my intended use, like bluetooth stability etc?
Thanks.

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,991 of 3,839
I just saw a nice price on a secondhand unit that finally puts the Gryphon within reach. My intended use would be mostly for movie audio via bluetooth from my Nvidia Shield.
I currently use the BTR7 and have no complaints but was wondering if the Gryphon with it's xBass and xSpace, plus higher tier components might take it up a couple of levels?
Does anyone use for TV/movie audio with these features enabled? Does it have a dramatic impact on battery life?
I used to own the original xDSD (for music) and loved the sound but let it go for several reasons: I didn't like that I had to use a pigtail for my 4.4mm terminated headphones and most of all I had constant dropouts with bluetooth that I have never experienced with any other device. The Gryphon looks like they've knocked it out of the park for design and features.
Apologies I haven't had time to read this thread, are there any known issues that might interfere with my intended use, like bluetooth stability etc?
Thanks.
I don’t have any problems regarding bluetooth, also no problem changing codec in a instance.

I went to the shop to check several dacs, and really was initial going for the btr7.

They also had a gryphon, out of curiousity checked that one out. Wrong wrong choice for my wallet, I left with the gryphon, eventhough it was prices 3 times the price.

What I noticed about the fiio amps, they are detailled yes, nothing bad about that. But musicallity the gryphon wins easily. but yes… it would be weird if not, it is more expensive.

I don’t use xbass (it works decently) but thats more me, not a deep bass happy person.

I love the xspace though, and that is saying something, mostly I hate adding and changing things to the original track, like some people love surround effects, or atmos effects, xpsace is really something else

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,992 of 3,839
Thanks.
I use one exclusively for watching stuff on my tablet.

It's been great. BT connection is solid although I always need to go into dev options when it connects to change LDAC from best effort / adaptive to best SQ.

I use mine with xbass and xspace both on, bass and presence selected on the rear switch and atmos enabled on tablet. This will vary depending on what's in / on your ears. I'm using Jewel so you might be different with z1r / z7.

The included iFi usb cable sounds better than any other usb c cable i have but it's too short and they dont appear to make a longer one. I did ask but got ignored. Ive ended up buying a ddhifi 50cm usb c cable but it's not on par with the ifi one and I've changed back to LDAC.

Battery is the biggest issue for me, it doesn't last long using BT but you can charge and play (it'll stop at 70% if charging whilst on). Don't think you'd get 8hrs from it with BT,.not timed it but I feel like I'm charging it more often than phone / tablet / DAP.

Tested againt my long time serving S2 having had Gryphon for a few weeks now and I wouldn't go back.

Overall really good apart from not being able to get a longer ifi usb c cable (@iFi audio !!) and battery isn't the greatest but perfectly manageable.

You'll probably want a case for it, I got a black miter case from Amazon, nice finish and fit although the unit will easily slide out of it.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2,993 of 3,839
I don’t have any problems regarding bluetooth, also no problem changing codec in a instance.

I went to the shop to check several dacs, and really was initial going for the btr7.

They also had a gryphon, out of curiousity checked that one out. Wrong wrong choice for my wallet, I left with the gryphon, eventhough it was prices 3 times the price.

What I noticed about the fiio amps, they are detailled yes, nothing bad about that. But musicallity the gryphon wins easily. but yes… it would be weird if not, it is more expensive.

I don’t use xbass (it works decently) but thats more me, not a deep bass happy person.

I love the xspace though, and that is saying something, mostly I hate adding and changing things to the original track, like some people love surround effects, or atmos effects, xpsace is really something else

I use one exclusively for watching stuff on my tablet.

It's been great. BT connection is solid although I always need to go into dev options when it connects to change LDAC from best effort / adaptive to best SQ.

I use mine with xbass and xspace both on, bass and presence selected on the rear switch and atmos enabled on tablet. This will vary depending on what's in / on your ears. I'm using Jewel so you might be different with z1r / z7.

The included iFi usb cable sounds better than any other usb c cable i have but it's too short and they dont appear to make a longer one. I did ask but got ignored. Ive ended up buying a ddhifi 50cm usb c cable but it's not on par with the ifi one and I've changed back to LDAC.

Battery is the biggest issue for me, it doesn't last long using BT but you can charge and play (it'll stop at 70% if charging whilst on). Don't think you'd get 8hrs from it with BT,.not timed it but I feel like I'm charging it more often than phone / tablet / DAP.

Tested againt my long time serving S2 having had Gryphon for a few weeks now and I wouldn't go back.

Overall really good apart from not being able to get a longer ifi usb c cable (@iFi audio !!) and battery isn't the greatest but perfectly manageable.

You'll probably want a case for it, I got a black miter case from Amazon, nice finish and fit although the unit will easily slide out of it.
I appreciate your replies, thank you.
Battery life is not that great on the BTR7 which is no issue as I am sitting in my lounge.
I actually bought a BTA30 so I could use my TA-ZH1ES but at the end of the day a small portable option wins against a lengthy cable tethering you to a desktop.

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #2,995 of 3,839
I was listening to my Gryphon last night and there was a huge popping sound, scared the crap out of me! Now I'm getting a ton of noise coming through the 3.5 and 4.4mm jacks making the unit unlistenable. I haven't contacted ifi yet but has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried getting this fixed and that happening while listening to sensitive iems. Fortunately I was wearing full size cans but something like Andromedas probably would have been destroyed maybe with permanent hearing damage.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #2,996 of 3,839
Folks, just FYI :wink:

How to power the xDSD Gryphon using USB instead of the internal battery?
(Universal with all XDSD Gryphon versions of the software)

Step 1: Press and hold the Power/Volume button for 3s to turn on the screen.

Step 2: Press and hold the Multi-functional Settings button to engage the menu screen. Turn the Power/Volume knob to the USB Dual Port Charge option, press the Power/Volume knob once to enter the next sub-menu and turn the Power/Volume knob again to select the 'On' position. Then wait for a few seconds without doing anything (...or press the Power/Volume button once) to jump to the main screen automatically and complete the setting.

Step 3: After completing the above two steps, the xDSD Gryphon's Type-C USB port used will bypass its battery and input the audio signal normally. The prerequisite is that the input channel needs to be selected to USB. Also the battery level will be checked and the battery itself will be charged to its full capacity.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 13, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #2,997 of 3,839
Folks, just FYI :wink:

How to power the xDSD Gryphon using USB instead of the internal battery?
(Universal with all XDSD Gryphon versions of the software)

Step 1: Press and hold the Power/Volume button for 3s to turn on the screen.

Step 2: Press and hold the Multi-functional Settings button to engage the menu screen. Turn the Power/Volume knob to the USB Dual Port Charge option, press the Power/Volume knob once to enter the next sub-menu and turn the Power/Volume knob again to select the 'On' position. Then wait for a few seconds without doing anything (...or press the Power/Volume button once) to jump to the main screen automatically and complete the setting.

Step 3: After completing the above two steps, the xDSD Gryphon's Type-C USB port used will bypass its battery and input the audio signal normally. The prerequisite is that the input channel needs to be selected to USB. Also the battery level will be checked and the battery itself will be charged to its full capacity.

Could you explain the last part differently, what do you mean exactly? Because there are two usb-c port the charge en signal usb port?

I actually don’t understand the bypass internal battery charging?

So if I understand correctly It would not be using the battery after this (in other words safe the battery, by not continously charging/discharging but use usb power instead?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,998 of 3,839
Thanks.
Not sure what the Gryphon is like watching TV via the Bluetooth but what annoys me the most with Bluetooth devices is the audio never seems to match the lip movement of the actors.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,000 of 3,839
Not sure what the Gryphon is like watching TV via the Bluetooth but what annoys me the most with Bluetooth devices is the audio never seems to match the lip movement of the actors.
My Fiio devices have been very good, barely noticeable. Some devices/players have a compensation setting, I think my Nvidia Shield may have the option, VLC definitely does, not sure of Nexflix app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back