xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #2,911 of 3,839
FWIW, that may be a function of the particular plug(s) and not necessarily an issue with your specific Gryphon. I have some 4.4mm plugs that need to be pulled out a smidge for both channels to connect (and will cut in and out in one channel if I put slight pressure on the plug), while some plugs pose no problem. I believe it has to do with the fact that some 4.4mm plugs have a small spacer and others don’t, and the ones that don’t seem to be an issue for the Gryphon’s port. Happy to be corrected, however.
Thanks for feedback, much appreciated. I’ll try another 4.4 if I can find one about the house..The one I’m using is the modular one on the Letshuoer s12. First thing I did was try it in my FiiO Btr7 and there was no replication of the issue.

Nov 6, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,912 of 3,839
FWIW, that may be a function of the particular plug(s) and not necessarily an issue with your specific Gryphon. I have some 4.4mm plugs that need to be pulled out a smidge for both channels to connect (and will cut in and out in one channel if I put slight pressure on the plug), while some plugs pose no problem. I believe it has to do with the fact that some 4.4mm plugs have a small spacer and others don’t, and the ones that don’t seem to be an issue for the Gryphon’s port. Happy to be corrected, however.
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I’m going to have a look for another 4.4 ..sure I’ve got one, and if not I’ll get one Amazon prime tomorrow…like I said below it’s the S12 modular 4.4 I’m using and it’s solid in my BTR7..I never considered it might be the gryphon just doesn’t like that particular plug, definitely worth trying..thanks

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,913 of 3,839
Insert your 4.4 cable in and take a picture like this maybe I can help
Thanks a million, you guys just saved me some grief. I tried it with an old Kbear 4.4 and it’s Rock solid..for some reason it just doesn’t like the modular on my S12, which strangely is solid in my btr7..The s12 one is ok under normal circumstances but with a small amount of pressure it drops one side….I wonder if they are all like that with Gryphon….anyway thanks again and thanks to the other folks who replied also…👍👍😄

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,915 of 3,839

I agree.

I believe it is more likely a problem with the plugs than the Gryphon’s jack.

I have had a couple of cables that had this issue. I recently bought some nicer quality cables and none of them exhibit this issue. I guess they have better quality plugs that have proper specs.

EDIT: sorry, I was posting this before the replies above, seems like Bob1960 has got it sorted.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #2,916 of 3,839
I agree.

I have had a couple of cables that had this issue. I recently bought some nicer quality cables and none of them exhibit this issue. I guess they have better quality plugs that have proper specs.

EDIT: sorry, I was posting this before the replies above, seems like Bob1960 has got it sorted.
Yeah it’s the letshoer S12 cable 4.4 Modular….if the jack is right in I get the issue but just a smidgen short of full in it’s fine..I have another Kbear 4.4 cable and no problem with that one at all..Can’t believe how good the Gryphon sounds even over Bluetooth AAC from iPhone.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #2,917 of 3,839
but have no idea what that costs? Ifi didn’t answer that question a few pages back.

I saw your question, no worries, but I'll have to ask internally about the exact price. The battery for xDSD Gryphon is very unusual however (it's L-shaped and made for us) and that affects its price. Still, I'll get back to you as soon as I have any confirmation from our HQ.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #2,918 of 3,839
I have a question and I think it likely a stupid one. I have ordered a pair of Dan Clark Aeon headphones... Currently it'll only come with a 3.5mm cable so I will only be able to run Unbalanced, at a max power of 375mw @ 32 Ohms. The Noire are rated as a 13 Impedance headphone, does that mean the power of the Gryphon will be greater than the 375mw power stated in the manual, or the same. Sorry, slowly getting there with impedance, clearly I am not quite there yet :rolling_eyes:
What is the specified sensitivity ?
I can give you some calculation figures if you tell the sensitivity, but being a planar magnetic I have to assume it's likely in the 80-90dB/mW range.

At first glance, I would say those headphones seem very hard to drive and will most certainly require a balanced cable for a loud/very loud volume.
At the end of day it depends how loud you like to listen, cause in practice achieving a moderate SPL doesn't require much power at all, but the higher
you go in loudness, the required power to drive them will increase exponentially.
This is interesting. I read this 4.4mm jack problem many times in this thread, but never experienced it myself.
The cables I have used are both the ones that came with particular headphones or IEMs (so good quality ones), but also ones from Aliexpress that work equally good.
As @LORDROOTMAN mentioned, the connector needs extra force to be pushed all the way in, there is more resistance for the last 2mm or so.
Maybe there are inconsistencies in regard to the connector in the Gryphon, some being better (in terms of tolerances) than others.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #2,919 of 3,839
This is interesting. I read this 4.4mm jack problem many times in this thread, but never experienced it myself.
The cables I have used are both the ones that came with particular headphones or IEMs (so good quality ones), but also ones from Aliexpress that work equally good.
As @LORDROOTMAN mentioned, the connector needs extra force to be pushed all the way in, there is more resistance for the last 2mm or so.
Maybe there are inconsistencies in regard to the connector in the Gryphon, some being better (in terms of tolerances) than others.
It depends on the Cable being used, on my unit I had a slightly different problem where when I plug in a cable I'd get sound only on one side but as soon as I sligntly pull back the jack, both sides start playing.

Some cables worked fine though and I don't know if it was the cables fault or Gryphons. I know iFi claims they designed this port to spec but I've never had this issue with other DAC/Amps using the same cables.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #2,920 of 3,839
Hi,

Not getting an answer from iFi directly so I thought I should re-post here:

I'm looking for portable DAC/amps in the $500-$1,500 price range with a precise volume indication and I'm wondering if any other devices than the xDSD Gryphon would qualify. I'm looking for a big-ish upgrade over my Cayin RU6 in terms of sound quality so I want to step up from dongles. I don't need any other functionality than power, volume, and a display; no matter how small. Thing is I want to set my preferred volume before hitting the start button so I don't lose the first track of an album to adjust the volume 5 times. Funny enough I only seem to find the Gryphon plus 2 Xduoo DAC/amps do the trick before we get to a 600 grams FiiO device which is a bit much to haul around!

Please let me know if I'm overlooking any other iFi candidates or perhaps even other brands' products. Tnx...

BTW: If there's a product that returns the volume level as feedback to a smartphone instead then that's fine as well, as long as it's really the volume from the DAC/amp and not a change in volume on the smartphone. This, because AFAIK it's best for the sound quality to set the phone output level to max volume and control volume on the DAC/amp instead.

drftr

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #2,921 of 3,839
Hi,

I'm looking for portable DAC/amps in the $500-$1,500 price range with a precise volume indication and I'm wondering if any other devices than the xDSD Gryphon would qualify. I'm looking for a big-ish upgrade over my Cayin RU6 in terms of sound quality so I want to step up from dongles. I don't need any other functionality than power, volume, and a display; no matter how small. Thing is I want to set my preferred volume before hitting the start button so I don't lose the first track of an album to adjust the volume 5 times. Funny enough I only seem to find the Gryphon plus 2 Xduoo DAC/amps do the trick before we get to a 600 grams FiiO device which is a bit much to haul around!

Please let me know if I'm overlooking any other iFi candidates or perhaps even other brands' products. Tnx...

BTW: If there's a product that returns the volume level as feedback to a smartphone instead then that's fine as well, as long as it's really the volume from the DAC/amp and not a change in volume on the smartphone. This, because AFAIK it's best for the sound quality to set the phone output level to max volume and control volume on the DAC/amp instead.

drftr
a tough one, I was at the same dilemma, tried quite a few dacs, but none of them gave the amazing sound for the bucks as the gryphon(not in this small form factor) al the other candidates missed something or became to heave and bulky like the ifi signature(which is amazing but to big on the go)

The gryphon gives you the option synced or not synced volume.

It also remembers the volume setting.

I can assure it the gryphon would make a huge upgrade (but that’s always a little subjective to personal taste as well)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #2,922 of 3,839
Hi,

drftr
When it come to portable DAC/Amps only Gryphon seems to fit your requirement. There are other products like PAW S2, BTR7... that come with a display & volume indication but they don't have as much power.

Have you thought about DAPs? Something like HiBy RS6, Shanling M6 Ultra... would provide a warm musical sound like iFi DACs and meet all your requirements. If you think DAPs are too heavy to carry around then Gryphon seems to be the only option unless someone can think of another device.

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #2,923 of 3,839
When it come to portable DAC/Amps only Gryphon seems to fit your requirement. There are other products like PAW S2, BTR7... that come with a display & volume indication but they don't have as much power.

Have you thought about DAPs? Something like HiBy RS6, Shanling M6 Ultra... would provide a warm musical sound like iFi DACs and meet all your requirements. If you think DAPs are too heavy to carry around then Gryphon seems to be the only option unless someone can think of another device.
You have a good point with DAPs but weight is a problem for most/all excellent players, and since I don't really need any of the player functionality I'd rather see that share of the costs translated into better components and sound for the DAC and amp parts.

drftr

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #2,924 of 3,839

I tried a lot of the other dacs you mentioned, eventhough they are not bad, but the gryphon sounds better

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,925 of 3,839
There is a definitive idle current working inside Gryphon when it goes to a SOFT power off! After keeping the replacement unit for 3 days almost 25% of the charged capacity is gone due to idle drain. Is this normal?
I guess there is a way to keep it with HARD power off as the normal way of power off seems to keep a minute current going in the circuitry.
What do you mean about 'SOFT power off'? Switching off the device by holding the knob for 2 sec? This is how I turn off Gryphon and I didn't notice a problem with discharging. I can charge the Gryphon, leave it for 2 weeks and after turning it on, it has the same battery status. I think you should open up a ticket with Ifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back