xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2,731 of 3,871
It seems that your battery might be at fault here. Can you please open up a ticket at our support platform here? https://support.ifi-audio.com

Thanks!

I'll ask about that, thanks for flagging! But in a nutshell, it should be there, so it's probably due to the on-site reworks :)
I'd like to flash back to the 1.6 firmware because the 1.61 firmware often puts my Gryphon to sleep . Hope to have a new firmware. thanks

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,732 of 3,871
I got my Gryphon a few days back. Charging times are much less than what is mentioned. less than 2 hours? And I found it drained its battery today after listening for a short while. I suspect I kept it on but would run it on playing music to confirm. Defective battery????:cry: When I first opened the package the unit had zero battery and did not switch on. I had to charge to get it going and the first charge took short time too.
Anyone else having similar issues?

The second charge took just 2 hours for a full charge!

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,733 of 3,871
I have opened up the ticket. I feel I have a significant issue sending it across as we are in an economic meltdown here in Sri Lanka. Facing so many logistic and exchange rate issues.

Let's see what our support can do for you and please let me know via PM if there are any issues, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,734 of 3,871
@Sebastien Chiu and @iFi audio Can you please help me to clarify this issue? Will I have to send it back to Singapore? Last time my Zen stream had issues that cost me shipping charges back and forth. iFi has quality issues I am worried about it now.

Thanks for notifying me, but please note I am no longer with iFi audio anymore.

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,736 of 3,871
Is it possible to have shorter charging times for Gryphon if the charger has higher current capacity? Does have some current limiting circuits to limit the speed of charging?

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #2,737 of 3,871
Duplicate post

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,738 of 3,871
Hey All!

Hope all is well!

I have a question that was maybe answered somewhere in here. I am trying to output my fiio m15 to the ifi via otg usb c to usb c. I cant output out of the tidal app i have to use a player then stream tidal through that. Is there a setting im missing on the fiio? Then when I get audio out it is very low. i also tried it with my iphone and the sound is very low out of the ifi and only one ear. The volume knob does no changing of volume so I dont think i have all hooked up right. Im learning. Lol. With the iphone i used the cable that came with the ifi.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Please can you open up a ticket with our support team? They will be able to do more troubleshooting to help you :) https://support.ifi-audio.com
Is it possible to have shorter charging times for Gryphon if the charger has higher current capacity? Does have some current limiting circuits to limit the speed of charging?
We would advise to not use a fast charging power supply with the Gryphon. Please make sure that the voltage is exactly 5v :relaxed:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,739 of 3,871
Please can you open up a ticket with our support team? They will be able to do more troubleshooting to help you :) https://support.ifi-audio.com

We would advise to not use a fast charging power supply with the Gryphon. Please make sure that the voltage is exactly 5v :relaxed:
What is the recommended charging current specification? Fast chargers supply higher currents.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,740 of 3,871
What is the recommended charging current specification? Fast chargers supply higher currents.

I charge my Gryphon off either a small 5 Watt iPhone charger or a 12.5 Watt iPad charger.

Both work fine, the Gryphon doesn’t get hot, both charge in sensible time to full capacity and there doesn’t seem to be any downside to either.

I haven’t used a fast charger with the Gryphon but it was always my understanding that the charge rate will be determined by the device not the charger the device taking only what it needs and not being force fed by a powerful charger. So long as the voltage is correct.

I understand that a fast charger into a non fast charge device will output 5 volts and the device will draw up to 1.8 amps as the default. The fast charger can output higher voltage but needs the fast charge compatible device to give it an instruction to do so. If it doesn’t get that instruction, as with a standard device, it is not a fast charger at all and will fall back to the normal minimum default output.

My Fiio M11 Plus for example is designed to be fast charge compatible. Connected to a fast charger the initial charge will be quick but the M11 charging management will slow the rate right down in the last 10% or so and the M11 is controlling the charge rate not the 25 Watt charger.

I am no electronics engineer but based on my understanding a fast charger won’t do the Gryphon any harm since it won’t actually be trying to fast charge the Gryphon anyway.

As you said the fast chargers output higher current. In fact, as I am sure you actually meant, they CAN output higher current but the device has to draw that current, if the Gryphon doesn’t draw it the fast charger isn’t forcing power into it.

Alternatively I might be completely wrong. I use a normal charger because at best the fast charger will offer no benefit anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,741 of 3,871
I charge my Gryphon off either a small 5 Watt iPhone charger or a 12.5 Watt iPad charger.

Both work fine, the Gryphon doesn’t get hot, both charge in sensible time to full capacity and there doesn’t seem to be any downside to either.

I haven’t used a fast charger with the Gryphon but it was always my understanding that the charge rate will be determined by the device not the charger the device taking only what it needs and not being force fed by a powerful charger. So long as the voltage is correct.

I understand that a fast charger into a non fast charge device will output 5 volts and the device will draw up to 1.8 amps as the default. The fast charger can output higher voltage but needs the fast charge compatible device to give it an instruction to do so. If it doesn’t get that instruction, as with a standard device, it is not a fast charger at all and will fall back to the normal minimum default output.

My Fiio M11 Plus for example is designed to be fast charge compatible. Connected to a fast charger the initial charge will be quick but the M11 charging management will slow the rate right down in the last 10% or so and the M11 is controlling the charge rate not the 25 Watt charger.

I am no electronics engineer but based on my understanding a fast charger won’t do the Gryphon any harm since it won’t actually be trying to fast charge the Gryphon anyway.

As you said the fast chargers output higher current. In fact, as I am sure you actually meant, they CAN output higher current but the device has to draw that current, if the Gryphon doesn’t draw it the fast charger isn’t forcing power into it.

Alternatively I might be completely wrong. I use a normal charger because at best the fast charger will offer no benefit anyway.
I was asking that because the brand new unit I got a week back charged within 2 hours fully. The declared time to charge fully is 5 to 6 hours with a high-current charger. Specifications say it takes 1800ma for the full charge.
My battery may be at fault as it has zero juice when I opened it. It once gave a full playtime of fewer than 2 hours but subsequent loop playing to check gave Bluetooth play time (with LDAC ) of just under 6 hours. But it always charges within 2 hours when connected to a high-current charger.
This is the advice given by iFi here. I do not know whether it had been given in the sense that fast charging with 1800ma is unhealthy for the battery or because it does not have a current limiter on the hardware side. if so the shorter times for my unit may not be because of the bad battery.
However, I am getting a replacement unit next week.
The unit stops playing intermittently when it is connected to an android device via USB. It does it for Qobuz and Tidal with native apps as well as USB AUDIO Player pro. This happens when the device screen is off. I checked it with three android devices including my S22 Ultra. It runs firmware 1.61.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #2,742 of 3,871
I was asking that because the brand new unit I got a week back charged within 2 hours fully. The declared time to charge fully is 5 to 6 hours with a high-current charger. Specifications say it takes 1800ma for the full charge.
My battery may be at fault as it has zero juice when I opened it. It once gave a full playtime of fewer than 2 hours but subsequent loop playing to check gave Bluetooth play time (with LDAC ) of just under 6 hours. But it always charges within 2 hours when connected to a high-current charger.

This is the advice given by iFi here. I do not know whether it had been given in the sense that fast charging with 1800ma is unhealthy for the battery or because it does not have a current limiter on the hardware side. if so the shorter times for my unit may not be because of the bad battery.
However, I am getting a replacement unit next week.
The unit stops playing intermittently when it is connected to an android device via USB. It does it for Qobuz and Tidal with native apps as well as USB AUDIO Player pro. This happens when the device screen is off. I checked it with three android devices including my S22 Ultra. It runs firmware 1.61.

Yes I read the background above.

I guess if they are replacing it they must assume that the battery is faulty.

Off an iPad 12.5 Watt charger my Gryphon takes something like 4-5 hours to charge if that is a helpful comparison.

In terms of battery life, I did a test for a guy that was looking to buy a Gryphon. Literally playing music non stop from USB out of Fiio M11 running HD600 at 75 on the volume gave 7.5 hours run time.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,743 of 3,871

I understand that a fast charger into a non fast charge device will output 5 volts and the device will draw up to 1.8 amps as the default. The fast charger can output higher voltage but needs the fast charge compatible device to give it an instruction to do so.

Yes, using a fast charger won't change anything as it will work at 5V@1.8A anyway. So there is no benefit in using a fast charger, but nor will it hurt anything either.

In regard to current draw, the device must be able to draw more current. If the device is limited to 1.8A, using a 2A chargher won't charge it at 2A, because it works
as a constant voltage source, not a constant current source. So it will output 5V, while the current will be determined by the resistance of the load (Gryhpon).
So while a charger rated at 5V/2A CAN output 2A, that will only happen when the load can actually sink that much current (not the case with Gryphon).

As for fast charging, for the charger to output higher voltages (like 9V, 12V or 20V) it does indeed need to communicate with the device and negotiate that before it
switches to the higher voltage. For that, the device needs to have a Qualcomm QC compatible processor, otherwise the charger will only output 5V and a maximum
current of 2A (which can be even lower depending on what device can sink).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2,744 of 3,871
In my experience the noise with sensitive IEMs (like the 109dB/mW Fiio FD3 or FD5) is very audible on the 4.4mm balanced port.
Depending on the type of music I listen, it might be an issue or not:
- if music is pretty loud without any quiet passages at all, then the noise floor won't be an issue;
- if music has quiet passages or many transitions between louder and quieter passages, then noise is going to be an issue;

So while the Gryphon does pretty good in most circumstances in terms of noise floor, it's certainly not the best on the market in this regard.
Of course this is just a statement not a criticism, as nobody claimed it to be the best on the market at this particular aspect and the IEMatch does
the job pretty well in the situations where it is needed, so overall it's a good device.
There is no hiss on my FD7 it sounds quite good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back