xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Oct 11, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #2,716 of 3,871
I have a Cayin N3 Pro and a Qudelix and in both the difference between the single and the balanced one is noticeable, if what you tell me is little difference in the Gryphon I think I'll have to return it since I don't see that of its more 1000 power

Perhaps you are looking at it the wrong way around, maybe the 3.5mm is performing better than you expect rather than the 4.4mm is performing worse than you expect.

I'd suggest that if both single ended and balanced outputs are working, even if not as you expect, then the unit has to be working properly. It would be seemingly impossible for them to be working improperly as the 3.5mm is literally fed by part of the same amplifiers feeding the 4.4mm balanced.

Does it sound good ? Does it do what you want it to do ? Does it perform well compared to your other gear disregarding a number on the screen ?

Perhaps stop worrying about what a number of the screen says and enjoy it - but that is over to you of course.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #2,717 of 3,871
Tal vez lo esté viendo al revés, tal vez el 3,5 mm está funcionando mejor de lo esperado en lugar de que el 4,4 mm esté funcionando peor de lo esperado.

Sugeriría que si las salidas balanceadas y de un solo extremo funcionan, incluso si no es lo esperado, entonces la unidad debe funcionar correctamente. Sería aparentemente imposible que funcionaran incorrectamente, ya que los 3,5 mm se alimentan literalmente de parte de los mismos amplificadores que alimentan a los 4,4 mm balanceados.

¿Suena bien? ¿Hace lo que quieres que haga? ¿Funciona bien en comparación con su otro equipo sin tener en cuenta un número en la pantalla?

Tal vez deje de preocuparse por lo que dice un número de la pantalla y disfrútelo, pero eso depende de usted, por supuesto.
Tienes razón, lo que intento decir es que sí, pero lo hace casi al 75-80% de su capacidad por lo que se puede escuchar en algunos iems cuando otros equipos lo hacen al 55-60% y con menos energía.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #2,718 of 3,871
Perhaps you are looking at it the wrong way around, maybe the 3.5mm is performing better than you expect rather than the 4.4mm is performing worse than you expect.

I'd suggest that if both single ended and balanced outputs are working, even if not as you expect, then the unit has to be working properly. It would be seemingly impossible for them to be working improperly as the 3.5mm is literally fed by part of the same amplifiers feeding the 4.4mm balanced.

Does it sound good ? Does it do what you want it to do ? Does it perform well compared to your other gear disregarding a number on the screen ?

Perhaps stop worrying about what a number of the screen says and enjoy it - but that is over to you of course.
I have to agree the volume # is irrelevant if it sounds great at volume levels you normally listen at and above.
Since you can also control the volume from your device in BT mode where the Gryphon volume level is arbitrary.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #2,719 of 3,871
Tienes razón, lo que intento decir es que sí, pero lo hace casi al 75-80% de su capacidad por lo que se puede escuchar en algunos iems cuando otros equipos lo hacen al 55-60% y con menos energía.

Thanks to Google translate ....... understood. Yes the Gryphon does seem to need need to be run at higher percentage of its overall volume range relative to some other gear but it does have plenty of power at the top end.

It seems like it was designed so the volume ramps up more gently initially then more abruptly at the upper part of the range, there is actually some adjustment for the volume ramp in the menu, I have never used it.

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #2,720 of 3,871
I turned off the imatch thing last night on 4.4mm, had to drop the volume from around 70-80 to 50! Definitely don't need it on as I've got zero hiss with it off. :sunglasses:

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #2,721 of 3,871
I turned off the imatch thing last night on 4.4mm, had to drop the volume from around 70-80 to 50! Definitely don't need it on as I've got zero hiss with it off. :sunglasses:

I get a tiny bit of hiss with moderately sensitive Shanling ME700 but it is very faint and only really noticeable if sitting with no music playing and unplugging the IEM cable so it abruptly stops and I notice something has changed.

It is so minor I don’t bother with IEMatch at all. I hear no noise from any other IEM or headphones.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,722 of 3,871
I get a tiny bit of hiss with moderately sensitive Shanling ME700 but it is very faint and only really noticeable if sitting with no music playing and unplugging the IEM cable so it abruptly stops and I notice something has changed.

It is so minor I don’t bother with IEMatch at all. I hear no noise from any other IEM or headphones.
I actually thought it sounded better with IEMatch off but could have been placebo. Regardless, it's doing a stellar job for what it was bought for. :sunglasses:

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #2,723 of 3,871

In my experience the noise with sensitive IEMs (like the 109dB/mW Fiio FD3 or FD5) is very audible on the 4.4mm balanced port.
Depending on the type of music I listen, it might be an issue or not:
- if music is pretty loud without any quiet passages at all, then the noise floor won't be an issue;
- if music has quiet passages or many transitions between louder and quieter passages, then noise is going to be an issue;

So while the Gryphon does pretty good in most circumstances in terms of noise floor, it's certainly not the best on the market in this regard.
Of course this is just a statement not a criticism, as nobody claimed it to be the best on the market at this particular aspect and the IEMatch does
the job pretty well in the situations where it is needed, so overall it's a good device.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,724 of 3,871
Can any of you guys recommend a good shielded USB-C to USB-C cable, maybe around 100-150mm in length? I notice a difference in SQ between the iFi cable (too short for me, amp hangs off the side of my tablet) and any other UCB-C i usually use for charging things. @iFi audio

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,725 of 3,871
In my experience the noise with sensitive IEMs (like the 109dB/mW Fiio FD3 or FD5) is very audible on the 4.4mm balanced port.
Depending on the type of music I listen, it might be an issue or not:
- if music is pretty loud without any quiet passages at all, then the noise floor won't be an issue;
- if music has quiet passages or many transitions between louder and quieter passages, then noise is going to be an issue;

So while the Gryphon does pretty good in most circumstances in terms of noise floor, it's certainly not the best on the market in this regard.
Of course this is just a statement not a criticism, as nobody claimed it to be the best on the market at this particular aspect and the IEMatch does
the job pretty well in the situations where it is needed, so overall it's a good device.

I guess the extra sensitivity makes a big difference beyond a certain point.

My Shanling ME700 are nominally 18 ohm and 106dB/mW and out of the Gryphons 4.4mm the noise floor is almost inaudible and for me not worth messing with IEMatch.

My Letshuoer S12 are significantly less sensitive then the ME700, more than the 102dB/mW seems to suggest, to me at least. On the Gryphon I hear no noise floor.

The ME700s are only marginally quieter on original Chord Mojo.

No the Gryphon certainly is the quietest amp around but like you said the IEMatch is there if needed. Unusually for all it’s extra power output the Diablo has a lower noise floor than the Gryphon.

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #2,726 of 3,871
I got my Gryphon a few days back. Charging times are much less than what is mentioned. less than 2 hours? And I found it drained its battery today after listening for a short while. I suspect I kept it on but would run it on playing music to confirm. Defective battery????:cry: When I first opened the package the unit had zero battery and did not switch on. I had to charge to get it going and the first charge took short time too.
Anyone else having similar issues?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,727 of 3,871
@Sebastien Chiu and @iFi audio Can you please help me to clarify this issue? Will I have to send it back to Singapore? Last time my Zen stream had issues that cost me shipping charges back and forth. iFi has quality issues I am worried about it now.

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #2,729 of 3,871
@Sebastien Chiu and @iFi audio Can you please help me to clarify this issue? Will I have to send it back to Singapore? Last time my Zen stream had issues that cost me shipping charges back and forth. iFi has quality issues I am worried about it now.

It seems that your battery might be at fault here. Can you please open up a ticket at our support platform here? https://support.ifi-audio.com

Thanks!

Why is the firmware of ifi official website only 1.53, and the firmware of version 1.6 is gone? Is there a new firmware?

I'll ask about that, thanks for flagging! But in a nutshell, it should be there, so it's probably due to the on-site reworks :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #2,730 of 3,871
It seems that your battery might be at fault here. Can you please open up a ticket at our support platform here? https://support.ifi-audio.com

Thanks!

I'll ask about that, thanks for flagging! But in a nutshell, it should be there, so it's probably due to the on-site reworks :)
I have opened up the ticket. I feel I have a significant issue sending it across as we are in an economic meltdown here in Sri Lanka. Facing so many logistic and exchange rate issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back