xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #1,204 of 3,839
There is a small problem that no one seems to be talking about. On my mac, when connected through USB and with music playing through Apple Music, there are pops and disconnects in the audio whenever I switch between applications, especially, when I switch between AM and Safari. I'm guessing it's because the DAC isn't exclusive to Apple Music. Is there any way to prevent this? @iFi audio/ @Sebastien Chiu
Thanks a lot!

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,205 of 3,839
Hi, I'm really looking forward to get this device. As I'm seeing many problems regarding the device i have some few concerns and questions needed to be answered if possible by current users.

1. Can it driver 300ohm load like hd650 without maxing out the volume where it usually gets to distortion type of territory (not sure) if anyone tried.

2. What battery safety features are included? Like. I'm specifically looking for any type of charging limitation which limits the charge to 60-70% while using with external powerbrick plugged in continuously (if using like a dekstop dac/amp)

3. How much battery backup can i get if using 24bit pcm continuous with 300ohm load (i barely get 3hrs on hipdac 2).

4. Back 3.5mm,4.4mm ports both can be used as line out from internal dac, and line in from external dac?

5. What's the current situation of volume problem? (I'm usually a hp guy,not using any iems,hope some max volume jumps won't bother me)

6. Sound quality wise a better option from idsd signature? (If anyone have both and compared, please lemme know)

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,206 of 3,839
Hi, I'm really looking forward to get this device. As I'm seeing many problems regarding the device i have some few concerns and questions needed to be answered if possible by current users.

1. Can it driver 300ohm load like hd650 without maxing out the volume where it usually gets to distortion type of territory (not sure) if anyone tried.

2. What battery safety features are included? Like. I'm specifically looking for any type of charging limitation which limits the charge to 60-70% while using with external powerbrick plugged in continuously (if using like a dekstop dac/amp)

3. How much battery backup can i get if using 24bit pcm continuous with 300ohm load (i barely get 3hrs on hipdac 2).

4. Back 3.5mm,4.4mm ports both can be used as line out from internal dac, and line in from external dac?

5. What's the current situation of volume problem? (I'm usually a hp guy,not using any iems,hope some max volume jumps won't bother me)

6. Sound quality wise a better option from idsd signature? (If anyone have both and compared, please lemme know)

Thanks.

1) Yes

2) The limitation currently in place is kind of stupid. Turn it on before plugging it in. I think there should be some permanent setting to enable battery saver like Sony DAPs have so I don't have to fiddle after choosing my preference.

3) Not sure on this one specifically.

4) When using a digital input method selected on the unit (USB, SPDIF) these ports are output. There is an Analog in setting in this same menu that will switch the ports to input.

5) Getting better all the time

6) I prefer this to the iDSD purely for the midrange speed. The iDSD BL which is very similar to the signature is warmer and more 'engaging' but I personally preferred the resolution and speed the xDSD brings. I primarily enjoyed the smaller form factor and bluetooth capability.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,207 of 3,839
Dec 31, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,208 of 3,839

Better check your QC guys, the rattlening continues :wink: Off to RMA again I guess...

Hey that is interesting, my unit rattles as well if shaken. Not sure if this warrants an RMA though because if I place my finger lightly over the IEmatch switch on the bottom it does not rattle. Pretty sure it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,209 of 3,839
Hey that is interesting, my unit rattles as well if shaken. Not sure if this warrants an RMA though.
That's why I asked here. Since it was stated to be unintentional, it gave grounds for RMA in my case. Shoutout to Q21 for quick and hassle-free exchange :)

During Christmas I spent some time with the Gryphon and it proved to be really versatile and efficient with all tasks, be it desktop DAC, PC gaming (xSpace might be the only soundstage gimmick there is that seems to be effective, even if by a little. My Arctis Pro should rather be left without Dolby mischief of any kind) or BT receiver. I really want to give it a chance but that button is so loud

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,210 of 3,839
That's why I asked here. Since it was stated to be unintentional, it gave grounds for RMA in my case. Shoutout to Q21 for quick and hassle-free exchange :)

During Christmas I spent some time with the Gryphon and it proved to be really versatile and efficient with all tasks, be it desktop DAC, PC gaming (xSpace might be the only soundstage gimmick there is that seems to be effective, even if by a little. My Arctis Pro should rather be left without Dolby mischief of any kind) or BT receiver. I really want to give it a chance but that button is so loud

I mean, if you don't shake the unit vigorously while using it I'd assume you would be in the clear.

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,211 of 3,839
It makes noise upon the slightest of touch. Every press you make it'll be rattling for you. I don't mean to be picky but I dare not to accept that.

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,212 of 3,839
It makes noise upon the slightest of touch. Every press you make it'll be rattling for you. I don't mean to be picky but I dare not to accept that.
Nothing in that video is "slight" though.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #1,214 of 3,839

iFi Quality Control has been a problem with some of their products...
Considering my own experience with other iFi products I decided to sold Gryphon (and stay away from iFi in the near future).
Leaving this thread I wish you all a Happy New Year !

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,215 of 3,839
It's not slight indeed,
Apologies for manhandling my Gryphon. I've since come up with the gentlest items to test the button. I've settled with a baby brush made of extremely soft goat hair, Qtip for infant hygiene and a tissue. In all three cases, button made audible rattle even though no force was exerted at all and tools used were as pliable as it gets.

I hope this effort is slight enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back