xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #991 of 3,835
Been listening to these two most of the day today. IE 900 + Gryphon is easily a one-and-done 'endgame' setup. Ridiculous value for the price considering the performance.

PSX_20211216_172600.jpg

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #992 of 3,835
Did you find out if the shelf stock will be shipped with latest firmware, please?

At this time, there is not a clear date for this. Is there any reason as to why you can not update it yourself? We have our platform available for both PC and Mac with a DFU.

If they release a disabled volume share version it'll be a stunner. My fix for this was ghetto. Disconnect cans/no music. Set windows to 100%. Disconnect unit, turn down volume then reconnect and only adjust upward. Yep...

Your request is noted!

Regarding the filter behavior, interesting the utopia reveals differences that are clear and perceptible that I never gave to much attention before.

The STD is musical a lot of small details fade away in the high frequencies and music flows without getting you hooked on all information in the mix.
The BP or bit perfect, let’s you see all there is on the recording, all little details are present and sounds very good.
The GTO grabs the BP filter and gives sharpness to all small details, they are so clear and present that you feel hocked on music with lots of information, is the one I like most and the most impressive to me. It’s very similar to the MIN that was present before, maybe they are the same as now I can’t compare them I can’t be sure.

Great descriptions and very accurate in our book.

MIN and GTO are a not the same :)

Any word on this @Sebastien Chiu ?
I had accidentally looked at the xDSD FAQs which mention desktop mode instead of the xDSD Gryphon's...so it doesn't seem like the Gryphon has a desktop mode at all. A charge limiter seems like a simple feature to include though. Can it be done?

That makes sense! I was going to ask where you found a desktop mode for it.

There is not one at all.

The Gryphon does have a charge limiter, as do all of our portable/transportable devices.

Depending on the device, they will not go above 70 - 80% of charge to prolong battery longevity.

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #994 of 3,835
Any word on this @Sebastien Chiu ?
I had accidentally looked at the xDSD FAQs which mention desktop mode instead of the xDSD Gryphon's...so it doesn't seem like the Gryphon has a desktop mode at all. A charge limiter seems like a simple feature to include though. Can it be done?
The FAQ page for Gryphon says Charge to ~70% only by turning on the device first before plugging in power.

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #995 of 3,835
That's good enough! Can you let me know how I can engage that? No matter which order I connect my Gryphon in, it seems to charge to 100% per the OLED battery indicator.

It will appear as such. There is no way to turn it on or off. It is always on when you turn the device on first before plugging in power.

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #996 of 3,835
The FAQ page for Gryphon says Charge to ~70% only by turning on the device first before plugging in power.
Yes, but I still saw it charge to 100, hence my confusion.

It will appear as such. There is no way to turn it on or off. It is always on when you turn the device on first before plugging in power.
That's all I needed to know.
Thank you amarkabove and Sebastien!

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #997 of 3,835
The way I view any dac depends on the system match, also on the user preference, I have some audiophile friends and we live this passion with great pleasure.

From time to time we listen to each others systems and they really all sound very good, none of us have entry level systems and none of our systems sounds the same, actualy they sound completely different. And I do not think anyone is wrong in is personal sound signature and presentation they like.

So thinking what is the best dac, is this one better than the other is very subjective to me. I have a few dac’s and streamers, very different price ranges, from the very cheap hip Dac to the less affordable NDX2 from Naim. And if you ask me if any of my dac’s are better than the other, yes they are for sure, and at the same time they are not. Depends on the album, gear and personal taste.

For example I love to hear any sound on the recording very clear and follow every nuance on the music, I like this presented on a very large soundstage, one of my friends on the contrary like a very musical and intimate not that detailed presentation to relax. Another friend of mine only listens to vinyl. And the tree opinions on the gryphon I purchased where very diferente.

I love the gryphon…
The second friend said It likes more the sound of the hip Dac, for him is more relaxed and is not giving the brain too much information.
My analog friend, is good but it sounds to analytical.

So I will give a positive review, the second says is good but is not for me, and the third says no way I could live with that sound.

So let’s take all of this with a grain of salt, the gryphon is good for is price, it is an amazing product in my view, I do not think is on the Hugo 2 championship or NDX2, this but is good enough for me to keep it and be very happy with the performance and presentation. It’s a beautiful piece and will be in my heart for many years to come.

And I will reinforce this, opinions are subjective and do not take for granted that my preference is also the same as yours.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #998 of 3,835
Does anyone know if one can connect a hard drive and play music directly on it? Can’t seem to see anything in the online documentation but see an HDD as a connectivity option for the second USB-C port:

007570A5-8BAE-4198-AE7A-54751CA3F562.jpeg

Don’t see any options to control playback though so it’s a little ambiguous.

Dec 16, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #999 of 3,835
As someone said “I have one more thing” to add, I only have one set of headphones
Does anyone know if one can connect a hard drive and play music directly on it? Can’t seem to see anything in the online documentation but see an HDD as a connectivity option for the second USB-C port:

Don’t see any options to control playback though so it’s a little ambiguous.
The xdsd is a dac, not a streamer. That functionality is not possible with the gryphon alone, you need a computer, phone, tablet or a streamer and software that reads your hard drive files and use the xdsd as an external Bluetooth or usb dac.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #1,000 of 3,835
Anyone have issues with the GAIA firmware step? The app itself just is stuck on scanned and shows a spinning circle. Oneplus 7T

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,002 of 3,835
I had to give it it BT/Location permission all the time, not just while it was running, that seemed to resolve the issue for me. Uninstalled it immediately after upgrading.
That did it, though the .XUV/DFI.Bin sizes are very different. They are both labelled the same - any idea why?

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,004 of 3,835
@gLer If memory serves, you have either or both the Legend X or Legend Evo as IEMs -- is that right? If so, any hot takes on how they sound coming out of the Gryphon? Thanks for your feedback here!

:beerchug:
Hi Jaime, sadly I no longer have either to test with Gryphon, through my guess would be they'd pair beautifully with it. I'm not hearing any overt emphasis in any particular FR with Gryphon, and it has plenty of headroom with the IE 900 (-30dB is more than loud enough for me, which means it'll probably be too loud for most people). LX needs about the same power as IE 900 to shine, and EVO needs much less. So my take is that both would be a good match. Let us know if/when you get to try them.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #1,005 of 3,835
Let us know if/when you get to try them.
Thanks for the quick reply and impressions -- I appreciate that. I'm currently in the process of switching things up a bit and trying to decide between the X and Evo... hard choice!

Gryphon seems to be a solid investment, though. I'm digging the design, feature set, and UX from a hardware and display perspective. I'm more than happy to post some impressions if I decide to pick up the Gryphon.

Last question here -- are you running your 900's with IEM match ON? What's your experience and impressions of using IEM Match?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back