xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 9, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #1,291 of 3,839
I can't say that it's my priority but sometimes i get phone calls on the go. I can take my phone from the pocket but it's inconvenient when it's rainy. And I'm a bit lazy in the end:) That's why I want to get tws-like experience with hi-fi gear.
I've already asked this question in Bluetooth receivers thread. Go blu doesn't support external mic, so I will have to take it from my pocket to speak. Again.
Life is pain:)
True but it has a built-in mic. What you want in that case is a TWS IEM. I can highly recommend the Sony WF-1000XM4.

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,292 of 3,839
What kind of external mic are you willing to carry for the sake of calls? When I'm expecting those, TWS are the way. Even though both Sony and Noble are not yet equaling high end IEM performance, I no longer miss being able to connect anything directly via a 3,5 jack.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #1,293 of 3,839
What kind of external mic are you willing to carry for the sake of calls? When I'm expecting those, TWS are the way. Even though both Sony and Noble are not yet equaling high end IEM performance, I no longer miss being able to connect anything directly via a 3,5 jack.

Knowing Dankpods and his love for mics, he and his channel probably has some good recommendations in that category.

Quick question.

What is OFS 192kHz while playing Tidal Master file?

OFS is simply another way that MQA is unpacked, over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Same end results.

If calls are a priority and you don't want to compromise too much by way of sound quality, check out iFi's GO blu. I'd recommend that over Gryphon for a call-friendly mobile solution.

This!

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,294 of 3,839
I can't say that it's my priority but sometimes i get phone calls on the go. I can take my phone from the pocket but it's inconvenient when it's rainy. And I'm a bit lazy in the end:) That's why I want to get tws-like experience with hi-fi gear.
I've already asked this question in Bluetooth receivers thread. Go blu doesn't support external mic, so I will have to take it from my pocket to speak. Again.
Life is pain:)
This has been a vexing issue for me as well and caused me to cycle through various bluetooth devices as my work demands make it so I have to take a fair amount of calls. I enjoy talking my gear on the hiking trails here in Hawaii so a small device is a must.

In terms of sound quality in terms of small form factor bluetooth devices I have owned: 1. Shanling UP5 2. iFi Go Blu 3. Fioo BTR5. The Shanling is substantially bigger than the other two, FWIW.
In terms of mic quality: 1. Fioo BTR5 2. iFi Go Blu 3. Shanling UP5. With the latter two devices you either have to talk really loud or take the device out of your pocket and hold it up by your mouth.

So damned if you can find a device that does it all. I mostly use the Shanling and just pull out the device for phone calls. If a company could fix that they’d have my business.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #1,295 of 3,839
This has been a vexing issue for me as well and caused me to cycle through various bluetooth devices as my work demands make it so I have to take a fair amount of calls. I enjoy talking my gear on the hiking trails here in Hawaii so a small device is a must.

In terms of sound quality in terms of small form factor bluetooth devices I have owned: 1. Shanling UP5 2. iFi Go Blu 3. Fioo BTR5. The Shanling is substantially bigger than the other two, FWIW.
In terms of mic quality: 1. Fioo BTR5 2. iFi Go Blu 3. Shanling UP5. With the latter two devices you either have to talk really loud or take the device out of your pocket and hold it up by your mouth.

So damned if you can find a device that does it all. I mostly use the Shanling and just pull out the device for phone calls. If a company could fix that they’d have my business.
If I am going out and expecting to be on calls, I'll just take a FiiO LC-BT1 lanyard depending which one is charged. I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of SQ for the convenience of being able to easily be on call. These are cheap enough I’ve got two already, will probably get another one or two to use with whatever chifi FOTM I'm likely to have.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,296 of 3,839
Hey guys, it gives me great pleasure to present my comprehensive xDSD Gryphon review, which you'll find in the link below. Shout out to @iFi audio and especially to @Sebastien Chiu for helping out with queries and answers in the lead-up to the review. I reserve the right to bump up the rating to a full five stars should the small niggles I mention in the review be ironed out timeously. I'll leave you with some audio pr0n, more of which can be savoured in the review. Enjoy!

>> xDSD Gryphon: the new portable standard <<
Spoiler alert
: Gryphon has changed the portable game, at least for me.

Gryphon_10.jpg

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,297 of 3,839
Hey guys, it gives me great pleasure to present my comprehensive xDSD Gryphon review, which you'll find in the link below. Shout out to @iFi audio and especially to @Sebastien Chiu for helping out with queries and answers in the lead-up to the review. I reserve the right to bump up the rating to a full five stars should the small niggles I mention in the review be ironed out timeously. I'll leave you with some audio pr0n, more of which can be savoured in the review. Enjoy!

>> xDSD Gryphon: the new portable standard <<
Spoiler alert
: Gryphon has changed the portable game, at least for me.

Gryphon_10.jpg

Great review. More than happy to help.

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #1,298 of 3,839
Anyone using their Gryphon with LCD Audeze cans? Wondering if you prefer to still EQ when you have XBass and/or XSpace enabled. Going back & forth to see if I like it better to have EQ & XBass/XSpace enabled or not.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #1,299 of 3,839
Hi, do you know if the volume bug has been fixed with the latest firmware update ? Thanks

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,300 of 3,839
Hi, do you know if the volume bug has been fixed with the latest firmware update ? Thanks
As far as I can tell, it has. But get into the habit of checking the volume level before you hit play (with ANY source, not just Gryphon). And no, it won't suddenly spike the volume up mid-song (if you use Tidal, make sure you deselect loudness normalisation in settings).

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,301 of 3,839
Anyone using their Gryphon with LCD Audeze cans? Wondering if you prefer to still EQ when you have XBass and/or XSpace enabled. Going back & forth to see if I like it better to have EQ & XBass/XSpace enabled or not.

My buddy @boxster233 uses it with his LCD-5!

As far as I can tell, it has. But get into the habit of checking the volume level before you hit play (with ANY source, not just Gryphon). And no, it won't suddenly spike the volume up mid-song (if you use Tidal, make sure you deselect loudness normalisation in settings).

Yep! As far as aware it has been fixed with the current reports in mind.

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,303 of 3,839
Im getting some problems after firmware update (Bluetooth not yet)

- I cant mute the gryphon pushing the main button
- the powersafe mode, is not working anymore

Any tips?
How do you know the powersafe isn't working? I thought that was baked in.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #1,305 of 3,839
Oh dear Ifi, I wanted to use my Gryphon last night after not using it much over Christmas and the new year and it said "Battery Low" the problem is it won't charge now, I think the battery has got too low to charge. It may have been low when I put it away for Christmas though, I'm not sure about that.

If I'd left it in a drawer for six months then I would expect this but one to two weeks?

With the launch F/W and now this I think I will put it away and forget about the whole thing.

****WARNING**** - Be careful fellow Gryphon owners to check the state of charge frequently just in case this isn't an isolated incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back