xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #3,482 of 3,871
Heads up for anyone using LDAC with the Alternate Bluetooth Driver for Windows: the software got updated and now supports Adaptive Bit Rate LDAC, which works way more smoothly than before. I can now set the quality to HQ and the codec actually scales gracefully between the lowest bit rate and the highest. All of that from the system Bluetooth on my Z790 mainboard. Really awesome with the Gryphon, it stays at the highest quality for what feels like 98% of the time on my desk. If I get up, the SQ scales down without cutting out.

Thank you.

I didn't even know that this existed, I have downloaded it am going to give it a try with my Gryphon.

EDIT: Works great, using HP Z Book with Windows 11, Tidal, LDAC to Gryphon, paid license, cheap, no complaints.

EDIT 2: Using Tidal "Exclusive Mode" with the Gryphon connected by bluetooth creates a bit of a glitch at the start of each track, turning off exclusive mode seems to cure that. I don't care about exclusive mode with bluetooth so all good.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #3,483 of 3,871
Whats the Runtime on Balanced LDAC?

It is going to depend on the IEM or headphones and the volume but it seems to be around 8 hours with an average IEM out of the 4.4mm using LDAC from my Windows 11 laptop.

That seems pretty typical for the Gryphon, I did a test once for a guy using a USB connection and HD600 at 75 volume and battery life was pretty much exactly 7.5 hours until completely flat.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #3,484 of 3,871
It is going to depend on the IEM or headphones and the volume but it seems to be around 8 hours with an average IEM out of the 4.4mm using LDAC from my Windows 11 laptop.

That seems pretty typical for the Gryphon, I did a test once for a guy using a USB connection and HD600 at 75 volume and battery life was pretty much exactly 7.5 hours until completely flat.

Edited in case it matter critically:

I have been listening with Gryphon and Penon Fan 2 IEM from the 4.4mm all day and the battery just died at closer to 7.5 hours not 8. As indicated above that seems pretty standard for the Gryphon and it seems that, within limits, running the amplification section more or less hard doesn't seem to impact the overall battery life much.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #3,485 of 3,871
Edited in case it matter critically:

I have been listening with Gryphon and Penon Fan 2 IEM from the 4.4mm all day and the battery just died at closer to 7.5 hours not 8. As indicated above that seems pretty standard for the Gryphon and it seems that, within limits, running the amplification section more or less hard doesn't seem to impact the overall battery life much.
Is that in Bluetooth?

Because I ran an endurance test on it before updating the firmwares and it returned only 6 hours 40 minutes of runtime. 32ohm load, volume at 55-65, 4.4mm balanced out.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #3,486 of 3,871
Is that in Bluetooth?

Because I ran an endurance test on it before updating the firmwares and it returned only 6 hours 40 minutes of runtime. 32ohm load, volume at 55-65, 4.4mm balanced out.

Yes that was bluetooth LDAC, 13ohm IEM, 4.4mm, volume around 50 - 55 for a total run time right around 7.5 hours.

I have previously done a test for a guy that was interested in Gryphon and wanted to know battery run time. USB connection, HD600 at 300ohm, 4.4mm and 75 on the volume literally untouched all day and it also went 7.5 hours almost to the minute.

I charge my Gryphon with it turned off which I understand will charge the battery to 100%. If you charge the Gryphon with it turned on the battery management will limit the charge to around 70%, at least that is how I understand it.

I have had my Gryphon for about 18 months and use it usually several times a week, all day, in rotation with other devices and I charge it full at the end of the days use. Battery seems to be doing OK.

May 5, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #3,487 of 3,871
Hello all,
Just got pair of new Focal Alpha 80 evo active monitors. Right now I use earmen tr-amp as dac/amp. Sound is quite good, but since I use it also for baerdynamics dt770pro 250ohm and move it with me, I'm searching for another device that will also support Bluetooth.
I got quite good offer on little used Gryphon, so question is has anyone used it for active monitors, preferably Focal alphas to share experience?

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #3,488 of 3,871
Hey guys, i have purchased a second hand Gryphon and its battery seems to be busted. When i connect it to my PC's usb port the charging light turns green and it stops charging after only 2 hours, after that i get between 1 and 2 hours of run time with IEMs with its volume around 60.

I have already tried a factory reset and a firmware upgrade but nothing changed. Anything i could try or is the battery really gone?

Cheers

May 8, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3,489 of 3,871
Hey guys, i have purchased a second hand Gryphon and its battery seems to be busted. When i connect it to my PC's usb port the charging light turns green and it stops charging after only 2 hours, after that i get between 1 and 2 hours of run time with IEMs with its volume around 60.

I have already tried a factory reset and a firmware upgrade but nothing changed. Anything i could try or is the battery really gone?

Cheers

You could try recharging it with a usb charger and note if it always recharges only in 2 hours.

If the 2 hours of charging were confirmed, only 2 hours of use still seem to me a few
(the charging time is usually less than the usage time).

Have you noticed if it heats up while charging?

May 8, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,490 of 3,871

Cheers

If you charge it with it turned off the charging management will attempt to charge the battery to 100% but only 70% if the Gryphon is turned on when charging. Off might get a bit more charge into the battery even if it is not in the best of health.

I would try running it through several full charge and complete discharge cycles, you might get lucky and get the battery back into better shape.

Alternatively you can turn on “Dual port charging” in the menu which will allow the Gryphon to run off the device it is connected to. That might not be so useful if running off a phone but would work fine if connected to a computer.

May 8, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #3,491 of 3,871
Yep i did try to charge it from different chargers and computers, all with the same results. I have also tried a couple of full cycles of full charge / discharge but no luck so far.

I have also tried charging it with it on and with it off, looks like there is not much more that can be done...

I have reached out to iFi and they have new batteries for it but they cost USD$60 which i think is way too expensive considering these batteries cost like $5 for them and it is a replacement part for a product which is no longer working well, there should be no profit on this, i guess it is what it is...

May 8, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #3,492 of 3,871
Yep i did try to charge it from different chargers and computers, all with the same results. I have also tried a couple of full cycles of full charge / discharge but no luck so far.

I have also tried charging it with it on and with it off, looks like there is not much more that can be done...

I have reached out to iFi and they have new batteries for it but they cost USD$60 which i think is way too expensive considering these batteries cost like $5 for them and it is a replacement part for a product which is no longer working well, there should be no profit on this, i guess it is what it is...

$60 is still pretty cost effective when it will get the Gryphon back to full health.

There is always the dual port charging if you are using on a computer exclusively but if not that isn't much use.

May 8, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #3,493 of 3,871
Are

Are these batteries sold separately, otherwise I buy a pair, as a backup

May 9, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #3,494 of 3,871
Do they offer the battery separately or just as part of a repair service ?
60USD seems ok to me as it's only 1/10 of the device's MSRP, so clearly not in the territory of wondering if it's economical to fix it.
Question is how much would the total cost be, as even if you buy just the battery you have to add shipping and import charges.
Then 60USD can quickly become 150USD. At which point I would prefer to use aftermarket battery and call it a day.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #3,495 of 3,871
Do they offer the battery separately or just as part of a repair service ?
60USD seems ok to me as it's only 1/10 of the device's MSRP, so clearly not in the territory of wondering if it's economical to fix it.
Question is how much would the total cost be, as even if you buy just the battery you have to add shipping and import charges.
Then 60USD can quickly become 150USD. At which point I would prefer to use aftermarket battery and call it a day.
I am waiting for their confirmation about the total price and availability, i will let you know.

I am also considering aftermarket batteries, do you happen to know which ones are compatible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back