Xclef HD800 player review
Mar 15, 2004 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 15, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Man, I wish I spoke Dutch because it looks like a good read. Why didn't they have a Dutch class in high school, for the love of God why?

Using my years of Spanish high school training to cut through the ice here, I'm going to take an educated guess and say they're talking about an MP3 player!

Come to think of it, I can only remember the swear words in Spanish.

If there's any compassion left in the world, would someone Dutch please throw us a bone and translate this.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 13
i understand various bits here and there from learning german at school, some of the words being similar, but as far as translating it, i have no idea.

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 13
From their Korean website:

Charge - 4 hours (3.7V, 1550mAh, Lithium-Ion)
Playback - 16 hours
LCD remote
Digital IO - S/PDIF(IEC958)
Bit rate - "MP3: 8~320Kbps,VBR
WMA : 5~192Kbps" OGG Vorbis(44Kbps~500Kbps)
Sample rate - 8~48KHz
* EQ : "Normal,Rock,Classic,Jazz,Ultra Bass,User(5 Bands)"
* USER EQ : "B1: 60Hz ,B2: 250Hz, B3: 1KHz, B4: 4KHz, B5 : 12KHz "

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Heck, those aren't demos. Those are actual proper units that are for sale over here (and in the U.K. too for instance).

Very nice review touching upon many aspects of the player:
HD-speed (very good) gapless playback (nope it doesnt do that)
Ogg (yes Ogg Vorbis is supported) etc.

I'm not gonna translate the whole thing here sorry ask Babelfish if your need is high.

edit: Ok, i will add some more tidbits now after reading the article some more. It has a 1.8'' drive that does speeds of up to 14 mb/sec. Pretty swift.
It does USB mass storage, no need for extra software. You can turn on/off id3-tags, or just use the browser which just browses the directories on your player. Playback can be shuffled, you can choose a dir and it will play all songs in the subdirs too, Iriver's iHP120 still can't do this properly!
There's a search option where you just enter name of song or artist which is neat i guess, haven't seen that on one of my players before (check out the pics of the menu system for this).
It does mp3, ogg, wma and wav. No flac, no. But it has a tuner too, which is apparently a lot better than the radio tuner in the Xclef HD500, it's 2.5" hd predecessor.
You can also record to mp3 from the line-in slot. Included is a cable especially for this option.
Cost: 359 euro for the 20 Gig version. There's supposed to be versions with more capacity announced but those havent been spotted yet.

Mar 15, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 13
A friend of mine has one of these and he said the firmware is almost exactley the same as in the HD-500 model. Looks like it from the pics...

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Ceejay34
...You can turn on/off id3-tags, or just use the browser which just browses the directories on your player. ...

But you can't navigate by ID3:s, right? I mean get all tracks with a certain artist, by ID3 tags, right?

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by erl
But you can't navigate by ID3:s, right? I mean get all tracks with a certain artist, by ID3 tags, right?

No.. it's only folder/filename navigation.. but you can see the ID3 tag info of the track that is selected if you have that option turned on.

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Wow, people who think iPods scratch too easily shouldn't buy this player cause its front is just begging to be scratched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back