xcanv3 vs. ld2++
Feb 2, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mtd

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting one of these tomorrow .. bottom line! Is the xcan worth the 2x price? I have Dt770-250, and Sennhesier HD580 .. I like bass. Please do not reccomend other amps. I don't mind spending the 500$ on the v3, but if its only slightly better than ld2++, ill keep my 200$.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 24
buy the x-cans and never look back. IMHO, the little dots are naff for driving sennheisers or high impedance phones.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 24
I really disliked my LDII++, I haven't heard the XCan though. My Dynalo sounds incredible compared to my LDII+ and LDII++. I have heard nothing but things about the XCan, so if you have the money, spend it.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 24
I would imagine that the xcanV3 would sound better than my modded 708B, which at this point my modded 708B sounds much better than my brother's LD II++ since all the new parts have had plenty of time to burn-in.

I'd say go for the xcan.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting one of these tomorrow .. bottom line! Is the xcan worth the 2x price? I have Dt770-250, and Sennhesier HD580 .. I like bass. Please do not reccomend other amps. I don't mind spending the 500$ on the v3, but if its only slightly better than ld2++, ill keep my 200$.

I got a used V3 a few months back, its a moddod one and cost me $300.

I borrowed my friends ppx slam and the V3 was better in many ways.

The only thing the slam did better was give a really fat tubey sound.

The V3 has more detail, tighter bass(more controled) and a sweet while staying flat sound.

My friend Tom sold the slam and is now using a V3.
wink.gif

Also, I'm using HD600's and Tom runs the HD650's

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 24
I will only speak on the V3. You can get this used for about $320 delivered to your home, it is a bargain.

I has a lot of power and the sound is very detailed. Tubes are easy to come by and if you end up modding it the sound improves significantly. Just let it get burnt in (about 250 hours) and if you are going to do critical listening turn it on about 45 minutes before the session.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 24
I am in love with my X-Can and this little puppy has yet to hit the weight room and beef up its caps a la pink floyd upgrades, so I recommend giving it a shot

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 24
Got the v3! Little less bass than I thought. Perhaps will improve with burn in.

I'm a little concerned I "blew a tube", I turned the volume all the way on high (-0 db sounds like off to me), and it .. realizing it was maxed out I turned it off quickly.

It would either sound terrible / not work at all right? A blown tube or whatever wouldnt produce slightly less bass / slightly less performance?

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I'm a little concerned I "blew a tube", I turned the volume all the way on high (-0 db sounds like off to me), and it .. realizing it was maxed out I turned it off quickly.

It would either sound terrible / not work at all right? A blown tube or whatever wouldnt produce slightly less bass / slightly less performance?

Afaik a blown tube would do absolutely nothing.

Burn it in for some time. If you still want more solid sound after that: get 6N23-EB tubes (no, they are not expensive).

Good choice btw, X-can v3 is a very good amp. It is the only amp I know that can handle everything I plug in with authority.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 24
In addition to the Russian 6H23-EB tubes another thing that helps is a better PSU. However you do not have to spend a lot of money, look for 12-0-12 PSU that provides 1.5 amps (the stock wall wart puts out 0.5 amps). This will help with the bass and in transients.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Tubes change everything with my V3. I like the Russian types best. The 6n1p-eb sound really nice and produce a very good/deep bass.
icon10.gif

I've never heard a stock V3 but I've read that the modded v3's are night/day better than a stock v3.

The guy I bought mine from told me someone named benny did his mods.
I've also heard of a guy named pinkfloyd? that does the mods.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 24
Eq'd up the bass a bit .. sounds very nice. My brother turned it on at full volume .. I can't sense damage but I fear damage was done.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Eq'd up the bass a bit .. sounds very nice. My brother turned it on at full volume .. I can't sense damage but I fear damage was done.

There's no damage if you cant hear it. V3 is a simple design with tubes in the input stage and transistors on the output stage. No op-amps or ic's to flake out.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 24
Congratulations! I have an X-Can V2, and have heard fantastic things about the V3. A nice aspect of tubed amps is that you can easily and dramatically change the sound by changing tubes (and, of course, headphones). My advice is to let it burn-in...give it 300 hours, at least. If you are still wanting more, then investigate alternate tubes. Also, check out pinkfloyd's website rock grotto. He is expert on X-Cans. He modified my amp, and the improvement was impressive. Reasonably priced, and a very fine fellow. You have a very nice amp.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back