Xcan v3 over MG Head or Woo audio 3 for hd 650
Jan 15, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #46 of 51
thanks for the warning, still they sell amps half the price...even if they don't give assistance it's still (maybe) convenient

owever i would like a comparison with mg head or x-can3 that are the only amps i can buy here in europe, can you do it please?

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #47 of 51
can compare G&W to XCan V3 w/XPSU, Woo3, Xin Supermacro V6, and Gilmore lite w/psu. All based on Senn 650 Cardas cable and Denon5900 Modwright upgrade.

G&W is definitely a player in this league. Woo3 has warm soul, on other side of spectrum from Gilmore, which has cool perfection. XCan was in between. I knew I would sell it and the Woo, but it took me several months to decide, and I think decision was not based on sound! I was pissed at MF for selling a $399 PSU for a $349 amplifier, and the PSU making a 10% improvement at best. Then I sold the Woo, to my regret, because two weeks later I ordered another one - just missed it.

So, would say MF had balls and delicacy and in a face-to-face contest would equal the Woo, but, having sold both, it was the Woo that I missed and eventually replaced. Xin is not in same league, but still creditable with Senn's; but it beats them all with Ety 4P/S (though the XCan had second-best bass on Ety 4S).

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #48 of 51
It seems like the MF is the way to go for me due to easy availability and it seems like they do pretty well with with the sennheisers as well as other cans in case i become a headpone addict and decide to buy other cans and when i get a little bored i could have the capacitors changed or the tues rolled with a lot of advice from people here of course since i still dont really know how to do that however the xpsu3 is not on my list of purchases for the moment unless i decide to get the x-dac 3 when i get another or other x series components maybe would consider the psu but paying the same money for a psu just for the headphone amplifer doesnt seem very logical to me for the moment beeing. I just talked with my friend about wanting to try the xcan eventhough he knows that i will most likely not buy it from him unless he matches or he gets close to the price i can get it from abroad he suggested that he brings it over at my place to try it out rather i bring my cans to the shop, so that i can directly compare the difference over my currnet set up, that seems like the smarter choice eventhough i like going to his shop becouse there is always at least 7-8 setups in their show room each in their own room, and the products on demo only are worth over a 1 million dollars prabably the latest wilson audio speakers such as alexandria 2 and a lot of other huge and pricy gear which are wy out of my reach unless i hit the lottery .

I just ordered the cardas upgrade cable for the cans as well 20 ft long for 200 usd they didnt have it in stock but should be here in a week or 2 at the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
can compare G&W to XCan V3 w/XPSU, Woo3, Xin Supermacro V6, and Gilmore lite w/psu. All based on Senn 650 Cardas cable and Denon5900 Modwright upgrade.

G&W is definitely a player in this league. Woo3 has warm soul, on other side of spectrum from Gilmore, which has cool perfection. XCan was in between. I knew I would sell it and the Woo, but it took me several months to decide, and I think decision was not based on sound! I was pissed at MF for selling a $399 PSU for a $349 amplifier, and the PSU making a 10% improvement at best. Then I sold the Woo, to my regret, because two weeks later I ordered another one - just missed it.

So, would say MF had balls and delicacy and in a face-to-face contest would equal the Woo, but, having sold both, it was the Woo that I missed and eventually replaced. Xin is not in same league, but still creditable with Senn's; but it beats them all with Ety 4P/S (though the XCan had second-best bass on Ety 4S).

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzman TR
it is going to come to that next week ,lucky me that the guy who sells it is also is a marantz dealer so i can kindly ask him to set up the same av receiver and the dvd player i am using at home so i just have to bring my headphone and i can try to see the difference between the av eceivers headphone out and the XCAN.

One last question however i was told that the DAC of my receiver were better then the one on my dvd player so i have connected it to my receiver with a coaxial does this mean that i will be using the dac of my dvd player if i connect it to the analogue outs of my dvd player or can is still use somehow the dac's of my receiver.

The DAC in the Marantz is almost certainly better than the one in the DVD player, so I would not recommend you use the analog output of the DVD player. It should be possible to connect the X-Can to a tape record or preamplifier output on the Marantz and thus retain the benefit of its better DAC. Ask your dealer to set it up that way when you go for the audition.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #50 of 51
Eventhough my dvd player is Marantz too, as far as i know the DAC in the receiver is better then the one dvd player therfore i will lear how to connect it becouse i am pretty sure my receiver is capable of that conneciton .

But i am also thinking about buying a new cd player and use it as a source maybe a marantz cd player the 7300 it is an old model but as far as i know it is still a pretty good cd player and i still know some people who have it in their stock brand new.

but i am also considering buying a dac rather then a new cd player i havent decided yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
The DAC in the Marantz is almost certainly better than the one in the DVD player, so I would not recommend you use the analog output of the DVD player. It should be possible to connect the X-Can to a tape record or preamplifier output on the Marantz and thus retain the benefit of its better DAC. Ask your dealer to set it up that way when you go for the audition.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #51 of 51
ıs the hi fi and head fi world got to be that frustrating
very_evil_smiley.gif
(just kidding)

but just that i thought that i was all decided even before the audtioning which will be tomorrow and my friend will even leave the amp in my house for some time if i wish to so far so good but he is bringing another amp as well which has a tag price of almost twice the price of the xcan it is from a company called Vİncent (german company) which manufacture tube amps and cd players pre-amps which are considered entry level high end equipment (so they say) considering that the price of the MF can-x3 is something around 600 usd considering that the Vincent should be over 1000 USD right ? WROOONGG since they are the main distributor and they buy very large amount of products from this supplier and the guy is a good friend of mine he kinda told me that he could sell me one for 350 usd (if i did not missunderstood him on the phone) now thats practicallly half the price it is beeing sold in the US the amp is Vincent KHV-1 if i can i will try to post the picture of the item as well as the specs of which i dont understand much
if anybody has ever heard of this amp pleeeaaaaaassssssseeeee let me know

the link of the product is : http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/produkt/zubehoer/khv1.php

I will put this post as a thread with the appropriate subject so that people who are not fallowing this thread can give us info as welll

the specs are as below

Technical Details

Frequency range: 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Nominal output power: 300 Ohm: 400 mW
32 Ohm: 1.75 Watt
Total harmonic distortion: 0.1 % max. (1 kHz, 100 mW)
Input sensitivity MM I & II: 600 mV
Signal-to-Noise Ratio MM I & II: > 90 dB
Input Impedance MM I: 47 kOhm
Mains supply: 230 V/50 Hz
Inputs: 1 x RCA
Outputs: 1 x RCA Pre Out,
2 x Jack Phone 6,3 Phone
Dimensions (W x H x D): 160 x 265 x 210 mm
Weight: 4 kg
Colour: black/silver
Tubes: 2 x 12AX7B, with pre out for using with SP-997.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back