Xcan v3 over MG Head or Woo audio 3 for hd 650
Jan 12, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 51
I have a DAC1.

Though I've never heard that ASL, my wild guess that it might sound slightly better than the X-Can in complete stock form because of the power supply. The X-Can also uses very cheap capacitors and tubes, but all of that can be upgraded. See head-fi member "PinkFloyd" regarding upgrading the X-Can 2 and 3.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #33 of 51
I have a ASL MG Head OTL MK3 that I have owned from new for about a year. I use it with both a Sennheiser 600 and Sony CD3000 headphones. The sound is excellent with both. However the best match is with the 600's.

I know that the MG head has fallen out of favor with many here at HeadFi, primarily I think due to quality control issues with the early models. I owned a early model ( MG head with no OTL option). Although it worked fine, it was not nearly as good as the current MK3 model. I have had no problems with my current unit, and use it often.

The Head performs much better, IMO ,with vintage tubes over new stock ones. And use a 5751 over a 12AX7 ( much info on that here at HeadFi). The MK3's upgraded output transformer improves the transformer mode over all previous models. The seperate power supply solved noise issues over earlier models also. I always use the OTL mode for the 600's.

I have not heard the XCan or the Woo Audio, so I cannot comment on them in comparison. However, I do have Perreaux SHX-1 headphone amp, and prefer the MG HEAD MK3 with both cans. I also understand the Senn 650 sounds somewhat different from the 600. But they do share enough sonic traits that I think you will find the ASL MG Head MK3 a good choice. The tube rolling with the Head is part of the fun of owning one. Whatever your choice, enjoy you excellent headphones!!!

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by TUBEBO
I have a ASL MG Head OTL MK3 that I have owned from new for about a year. I use it with both a Sennheiser 600 and Sony CD3000 headphones. The sound is excellent with both. However the best match is with the 600's.

I know that the MG head has fallen out of favor with many here at HeadFi, primarily I think due to quality control issues with the early models. I owned a early model ( MG head with no OTL option). Although it worked fine, it was not nearly as good as the current MK3 model. I have had no problems with my current unit, and use it often.

The Head performs much better, IMO ,with vintage tubes over new stock ones. And use a 5751 over a 12AX7 ( much info on that here at HeadFi). The MK3's upgraded output transformer improves the transformer mode over all previous models. The seperate power supply solved noise issues over earlier models also. I always use the OTL mode for the 600's.

I have not heard the XCan or the Woo Audio, so I cannot comment on them in comparison. However, I do have Perreaux SHX-1 headphone amp, and prefer the MG HEAD MK3 with both cans. I also understand the Senn 650 sounds somewhat different from the 600. But they do share enough sonic traits that I think you will find the ASL MG Head MK3 a good choice. The tube rolling with the Head is part of the fun of owning one. Whatever your choice, enjoy you excellent headphones!!!

which are these control issues?

and sorry for my ignorance, but what's this tube rolling??

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

The seperate power supply solved noise issues over earlier models also. I always use the OTL mode for the 600's.

but still the n/s ratio is a little bit low, or not?

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #37 of 51
Blasyrkh

The quality control issues are well documented in posts here at Head-Fi. But the main one was noise (hum) in the early "Heads" that it turned-out was caused by the wiring to the front power switch running beneath and too close to one of the tube sockets. That was overcome by design change and seperating the power supply from the main chassis. Also, there were complaints about crooked front mounting plates and general poor parts quality on some critical parts. The MK2 and 3 have a new thicker face plate and better internal parts, and I think they have solved the problems that plaqued the early units. Joe Lau, the designer of the Head, has many posts outlining the changes here at Head-Fi.

Your noise question I think was answered above. As far as operational noise, the noise floor of the MK3 is vey low and cannot be heard during normal listening levels.

As far as tube rolling goes, it's a term used for trying different brands of tubes in the Head. You will find different sonic qualities to tubes, in particular the single preamp tube. Once again, do a search in amplification for "MG Head" and lots of info, (including tube suggestions), will be available.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #38 of 51
The MG Head MK III uses two 6BQ5 and one 12AX7 vacuum tubes. The Wooaudio 3 uses one 6AS7/6080 power tube and two 6DJ8/6922 drive tubes. Does anyone know which tubes are better, easier to find, and less expensive?

This could be an important piece of information in determining which amp to purchase.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #39 of 51
i am the starting point i think, i read about too liquid midrange and warm sound....i'm scared the mkIII would tranform the sound into sugar syrup
frown.gif

i'm really considering a t-amp (and i loose tubes, but gain money
biggrin.gif
), but don't know where to find one modded for headphones...anyone knows?

aout the tubes i saw somewhere the 6bq5 at 25$ each

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Blasyrkh

The quality control issues are well documented in posts here at Head-Fi. But the main one was noise (hum) in the early "Heads" that it turned-out was caused by the wiring to the front power switch running beneath and too close to one of the tube sockets. That was overcome by design change and seperating the power supply from the main chassis. Also, there were complaints about crooked front mounting plates and general poor parts quality on some critical parts. The MK2 and 3 have a new thicker face plate and better internal parts, and I think they have solved the problems that plaqued the early units. Joe Lau, the designer of the Head, has many posts outlining the changes here at Head-Fi.

Your noise question I think was answered above. As far as operational noise, the noise floor of the MK3 is vey low and cannot be heard during normal listening levels.

As far as tube rolling goes, it's a term used for trying different brands of tubes in the Head. You will find different sonic qualities to tubes, in particular the single preamp tube. Once again, do a search in amplification for "MG Head" and lots of info, (including tube suggestions), will be available.

thanks for the answering!

what can you say about the too warm sound (low details) and liquid midrange?

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #41 of 51
you are lucky to be able to try it out
let us know what you personally think of it please

unfortunatly i dont have the chance to try it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
http://www.hifi-carucci.it/

this is the distibutor webpage, i talked to them and they'll send the amp to a shop near my city where i'll go maybe the next week to listen to it.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 51
ok, as soon as i can i'll go to listen to it, even if i've never listened to a headphone amp, so i'll not be able to say if it is worth the money or not

but i must say the truth i don't know if i'll go to listen to it, because i'm thinking on getting a modded tamp

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #44 of 51
see my and others' bad experiences with ORNEC - be very careful - if you need help, you're out of luck; lots of nice and helpful vendors on this board, so no need to save a few bucks on the unhelpful ones

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #45 of 51
also, I did get the G&W, and it is very nice (and 220 v), but not better than Woo3, which is close in price when you figure in shipping cost of G&W to US. Woo3 has OUTSTANDING customer service, while ORNEC hides under a rock in a garbage dump when you need help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back