xbox360 ebay auction
Nov 23, 2005 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

chewmanji

100+ Head-Fier
stumbled upon this:

check it out

Quote: This auction is for PREMIUM GRAPHICS of a xbox 360. The photos include Call of Duty 2, Kameo, Project Gotham Racing 3 and more! Acessories shown include wireless controller, Remote Control and the xbox core system!! This auction is for a photo!

Just goes to show that you really need to read the ad before you bid.

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 22
That type of scam has been all over ebay with this 360 launch. It varies from "I am selling information of how to get a 360, not the 360 itself" to your posted version. Quite silly how people don't read the item listing that they are bidding 1000 dollars on.

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 22
Yeah, I've noticed quite a few scams just skimming through ebay auctions for xbox360. "This auction is for an xbox360 email address so you can make better sales of your xbox360's". I've seen some of these go up to $800 or so. I don't understand why you would bid on something without carefully going through the ad.

It makes me wonder what happens to the victims of the scam. While it is clearly a scam, can the seller get into trouble still? They do state on their ads exactly what they are selling. Will ebay make the winning bidder uphold their responsibility to go through with a winning auction?

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 22
Yeah I'm also wondering what would happen to the victim. That just seems so cruel if he doesn't get a refund.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 22
I remember this EXACT scam happening when the original Xbox launched.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
Yeah I'm also wondering what would happen to the victim. That just seems so cruel if he doesn't get a refund.

This is fraud because at the bottom of the auction he lists:

Features
Audio Output:Surround Sound
Expansion Slots Total:2 ( 2 ) x memory
Max. Resolution:1920 x 1080
Processor:1 x IBM PowerPC 3 cores 3.2 GHz
Video Output:ATI Xbox 360 - 256-bit - 2D/3D graphics acceleration

Connections
3 x USB, 1 x network ( RJ-45 )

If he doesn't include these with his photo (as there are no photos of them) then he is ripping off his buyers. Without this I think he is in the clear.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
This is fraud because at the bottom of the auction he lists:

Features
Audio Output:Surround Sound
Expansion Slots Total:2 ( 2 ) x memory
Max. Resolution:1920 x 1080
Processor:1 x IBM PowerPC 3 cores 3.2 GHz
Video Output:ATI Xbox 360 - 256-bit - 2D/3D graphics acceleration

Connections
3 x USB, 1 x network ( RJ-45 )

If he doesn't include these with his photo (as there are no photos of them) then he is ripping off his buyers. Without this I think he is in the clear.

Exactly. Honestly, the highest bidder should have that -1 removed since he did us all a favor by screwing over the seller.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Exactly. Honestly, the highest bidder should have that -1 removed since he did us all a favor by screwing over the seller.

Yes, but that would be assuming that eBay really gave a damn.
rolleyes.gif

You wanna see a really stupid auction?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-3...QQcmdZViewItem

Check out the bid history. Um...yeah. No shill bidding going on there.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes, but that would be assuming that eBay really gave a damn.
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

-Ed

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry bout caps) That is INSANE! $12,100 for just an XBox 360? Some people are SOOOOOO dumb! my god... sorry bout all the extra-emphasis but I can't believe this! That would be as stupid as someone paying a huge amount of cash for a grilled-cheese sandwich or somethin... wait... that's happened too... err... Ebay cracks me up sometimes.

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Oh, man that winning bidder screwed up big time. He has very good feedback. I think he mistakenly added an extra 0 to his bid and the shill just bid him up in the closing minutes. I think he's going to have to bail out of that obligation for sure.

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 22
This is America, people. If somebody is selling a product that somebody would be so stupid enough to spend so much money on without even reading the ad, it's the buyer's damn fault.

He did not say once he was selling an Xbox 360 console. He said he was selling a photo. It doesn't matter what else he said in the ad - he CLEARLY stated what he was selling. I could make my eBay add for the computer I am selling, completely about pineapples, as long as somewhere in the ad, it states what I am selling. The seller, while maybe taking advantage of the buyer, is not at fault here. He did nothing illegal.

The buyer was a moron. End of discussion. The fact that it wasn't even unlawful makes it even more pathetic. I have just about no sympathy for either of them.

THIS IS FAR FROM A SCAM!

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 22
It may not be a scam, but it is very shady. It voilates ebays listing standards because it is listed in the systems section, as an xbox 360. If you look at everything but the text of the ad itself, it shows system specs and is listed as an xbox 360:

Item Specifics - Video Game Systems
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Media Type: DVD-ROM
Platform: Microsoft Xbox 360

Thats false and misleading. This guy set out to cheat people out of their money and no matter how stupid the buyer was, its still really shady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back