Xbox One - Gaming Headset
Nov 6, 2014 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Moochibond

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Noob here!

Please could you clever folk advise me on the following:

Plan to create a new gaming head set for my Xbox One - would like to achieve 7.1 surround sound.

Having read a number of threads on this forum currently I'm thinking; (Headset) Philips Fidelio X1 or X2, (Microphone) V-Moda Boom Pro. 

What I'm not sure about and would appreciate your help with is this:

A) Do I need to purchase a Microsoft Stereo Headset Adapter?
B) Do I need to purchase a Astro MixAmp - if YES please could you let me know a compatible version(s)?
C) Do I need any additional cables (understand from reading posts that if I go X1 route should update stock cable)?

Many thanks in advance of your help.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Hey HG,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I have looked at AD700's thanks, although, at the moment, I really like the reviews for the Fidelio so think I will run with this.

Are you able to answer any of the Q's in my previous post?

Kind regards,

Mooch

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi HG,

Yesterday you were kind enough to reply to my post and suggested I look at AD700x's instead.

I've had another look at this and think you're right and this might well be the way to go.

Again what I'm not sure of is how to connect this lot up.

Set up would be: AD700x, Antlion Mic and Astro MixAmp Pro and Microsoft stereo headset adapter

The question is - with this set up I would have two cables coming from the headset, one for the headset and one for the mic mod. Should I connect this to the MixAmp Pro using the Y connector into the headset port on the MixAmp?

Many thanks in advance of your help.

Mooch

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Hey Mooch, I'm in the same boat.  I had A40s + Mixamp on the 360 but recently got a pair of 700x's.

I'm also looking for the proper setup... On the 360 you had 3 cords -- mic and headset to a y adapter into the left input (3.5 mm) and into the right input (2.5mm) of the mixamp was a cord from the mixamp to the controller.

I'm currently using the microsoft headset adapter on my controller and from there is the y splitter going to the mic cord and headset cord.  I'm not even taking advantage of the mixamp :frowning2:

If anybody knows the ideal set-up, that would be helpful!

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Hey Jarred,

Thanks for your message - hope the attached diagram (sent to me by TheHeadPhoneGuy) helps.

It explained what I needed to know.

FYI, no need/requirement to us a specific headphone amp the astro mixamp alone (should be all you need) will drive the headphones.

Having said this if I can help any further please let me know.

Kind regards,

Mooch

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 10
Hey Jarred,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

As far as I am aware you will need a cord from the controller to the mixamp and in addition to this a microsoft chat adapter.

You can purchase the cord from Astro's website.

Hope all goes well.

Mooch

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm in the same boat. I have a regular headset for my Xbox One and want far better sound than my Skull candy Slyr pair. I want to get the Sennheiser HD598s and use that with my console but I dont know what cables and amp/DAC I need. Help?

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 10
  What I'm not sure about and would appreciate your help with is this:

A) Do I need to purchase a Microsoft Stereo Headset Adapter?
B) Do I need to purchase a Astro MixAmp - if YES please could you let me know a compatible version(s)?
C) Do I need any additional cables (understand from reading posts that if I go X1 route should update stock cable)?

A) You only need one if your controller doesn't have 3.5mm female jack on it.  All the new xbox one controllers have them but the older ones don't.  Personally, I like the headset adapter because it has a mute button and chat mixer on it that can let me mess with the volumes. It does add extra bulk to the controller & costs money so if you don't need it I wouldn't buy one.
B) If you want surround sound then yes. Any of them are compatible I think.  I personally have the gen 2 but they recently came out with a new model TR.   I saw it on their website today (also seems to be on sale for black friday).  The difference is that the new model can double as a PC soundcard which is pretty neat, and will come with most of what you need.
C) for cables, you might want a longer male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm patch cable, though that will depend on your personal needs. (I needed a 12ft one). If your going to get an amp with it you will need some RCA cables with a 3.5mm stereo male to dual RCA female adapter OR cable. I would get a 25ft cable if you don't have one and need it. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5601

The headphones your looking at don't need an amp though I have no idea if they're any good for gaming.

Also, this is an amazing resource
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Sennheiser's 598's are on sale today for 100 dollars for black friday and they're a great gaming headphone. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126HISOO?tag=viglink20562-20
You can buy a standalone microphone and attach it to the headphones too. It's up to you, anyway.

Oh, and if you do buy a mixamp, make sure to update the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back