Xbox Headset
Oct 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andrewlee1206

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s and I want to make a headset. I have the SteelSeries Xbox headset connector, but I need a mic. Right now, I'm looking at the Olympus TP-8 Telephone pick-up mic. I'm thinking of modding my headphones so that the mic will be attached to them. But, my main focus is about the mic. Can anyone tell me if the Olympus mic that I'm looking at is good for gaming or if it's bad. Thanks. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 8
The olympus is a good mic, but really sensitive. I used it for a while before I picked up a ModMic. They are currently sold out, but if you are patient and check their site frequently you will be able to find one. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 8
 The olympus is a good mic, but really sensitive. I used it for a while before I picked up a ModMic. They are currently sold out, but if you are patient and check their site frequently you will be able to find one. 

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll go ahead and mod my headphones.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 8
I read your first quickly and thought you were talking about the olyumpus me 52w (excellent mic). My mistake, and I hope you have not purchased this device. 

The TP-8's primary function is to record telephone conversations, hence its in ear design. Unless you could get it really close to your mouth, people might have a hard time hearing you. That is speculation, but I would go with a clip on mic, or  ModMic from Antlion.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, all I hope for is the mic to be able to transmit my voice into the game and for other players and me to be able to hear it. The fact that it might not be near my mouth is ok. I'm really good at making things like a microphone holder.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, thanks for trying to help. When I get the Olympus TP-8 tomorrow in the mail, I'll test it on Skype, Windows Voice Recorder, onlinemictest.com, etc. If it works, I'll go ahead and build the headset and I'll post the results. Thanks for the help though.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 8
I received the Olympus TP-8 in the mail as well as my SteelSeries Xbox Headset Connector. I tested my microphone using my computer, and it was a success. Then I built the boom for the mic, and set up the connector. When I joined one of my friend's parties for a chat trial, it was another success. I'm pretty happy that microphone works really well. Thanks for the help, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back