Xbox 360 unveiled.
May 13, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #16 of 45
It is faster than any PC out there, right?

May 13, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #17 of 45
That looks good!I am interested to see some photos from games.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
That looks good!I am interested to see some photos from games.
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out IGN's Xbox 360 site, they have lots of pictures and videos of all the games confirmed so far for the system.

May 13, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #20 of 45
I for one am more than a little tired of these "paper launches" that seem so fashionable in the tech arena nowadays. Why in the heck would you spend millions of dollars hiring Hollywood stars to do an MTV special about a product that doesn't exist yet and doesn't even have a known launch date????

The degree of hype around this mythical beast leads me to suspect that it's not going to be all it's cracked up to be. If I can wait another 6 months to get an X-box 360, I can wait a few more past that and get a Playstation 3 instead.

May 13, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I went x-box on the last Gen, and to be honest, other than Halo- the software just wasn't there. I'll be wating for the new PS.

Very bold statement, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I thought Xbox had plenty of awesome titles, most recently Forza, Jade Empire, Star Wars KOTOR I & II, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, the Rainbow Six 3 games, etc... PS2 does have an equally impressive amount of great titles, but to say Halo was the only decent piece of software...well...
smily_headphones1.gif
I just look forward to all the new technology the next gen of consoles bring to the table.

May 13, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 45
With those specs, if they sell it at $400, they might just break even...with their base production cost! Including other costs, this beast would probably cost substantially more than that to manufacture. I guess they can hope to cover tha loss with game sales, but it's going to be tough.

At this, point, I think Microsoft just wants to gain a greater market share in the video game business, and is willing to take a financial hit for it (a rather large one, I might expect). But I wonder if it was a good idea to speed up the production so much...? Only time would tell.

May 13, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 45
XBox 360 is the worst name ever. What's wrong with XBox 2? It's much cooler sounding and easier to abbreviate. And in true Microsoft fashion the design is pretty kitsch. Still, though, it's all about the games.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 45
The console looks great. However, I don't yet see any must-have games announced for it, and that's what counts. Hopefully that'll change as the launch dates gets closer.

May 13, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
It is faster than any PC out there, right?

It's hard to say anything definitely without more technical details, but it sure looks that way. The memory bandwidth is incredible (certainly enough to feed the three 3.2Ghz cores), and there are three vector units to boot, not even counting the GPU.

Some people have said that the processor cores may be crippled in some way (no out-of-order execution, no speculation, etc.), but I find that hard to believe. It is likely that they're not G5 cores though, perhaps G4 or even souped-up G3s.

This is one killer machine.

May 13, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #26 of 45
does it only have one other controller port. Or can you hook up as many wirless controllers as you want. I hope that they dont make it just 2 comtrollers like sony did, which i hope they change for the next system.

May 14, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
XBox 360 is the worst name ever. What's wrong with XBox 2? It's much cooler sounding and easier to abbreviate. And in true Microsoft fashion the design is pretty kitsch. Still, though, it's all about the games.
biggrin.gif

There's some info on the name on xbox360.ign.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
does it only have one other controller port. Or can you hook up as many wirless controllers as you want. I hope that they dont make it just 2 comtrollers like sony did, which i hope they change for the next system.

Up to 4

May 14, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #29 of 45
I will be buying it day #1.

I am sure there is a fairly complex marketing concept behind the idea of 360. It may seem odd superficially, but my guess is that Microsoft has a pretty complex reason to do so.

May 14, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 45
The demos of the games that were shown on the launch show were from G5 macs not an xbox 360. Microsoft confirmed it, here is the article from CNET.
We are an xbox family. My son is already saving up for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back