xbox 360 headsets
Apr 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure of the best place to post this but thought this forum was the closest match.

What are peoples opinions of this headset foir the xbox 360?

Amazon.co.uk: Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 2nd Revision Dolby® Digital Certified Headphones: Electronics & Photo

your average pc gaming set with normal jack wont work with voice and in game music and fx so this looks to be certainly an improvement over the microsoft bundled versions and while the sq may not be a match for it, this looks like it may be sort of "designed" in the same way as the k280 and k290 akg's?

What ya think?

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, but I wanted head-fi'ers comments

Quite honestly, I don't think I would ever spend my money on a headphone that is advertised as having:
  1. 8 speakers for perfect surround sound
  2. Subwoofer with vibration

That should clue you in right there that these things are not going to sound that great, at least by Head-Fi standards.

As an alternative I would look into getting some standard Sennheiser headphones along with a Dolby Headphone processor.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dol...phones-268462/

Edit: For a mic, buy an external clip on + 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Thats a good suggestion regarding the dolby processor but the trouble is I would need a set of headphones for the voice element of xbox live hence I have been looking at gaming headsets.

If I was handy with a soldering iron, I would just buy the most highly regarded headphones with mic and atach the xbox connector as it doesnt take a straight jack 1/4 or 1/8 "

So it is also the problem of utilising in game fx with the voice elemnent.

There are about 2 or 3 phones which seem to be able to connect to the xbox and allow game music and fx with the voice part and the only other one I would have gone for was a turtle beach headset, owever, they didnt have the model I would have really liked, hence I am trying to garner opinions here on headsets which incorporae the mic.

but thanks for the doly processor heads up, looks an interesting bit of kit.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Thats a good suggestion regarding the dolby processor but the trouble is I would need a set of headphones for the voice element of xbox live hence I have been looking at gaming headsets.

If I was handy with a soldering iron, I would just buy the most highly regarded headphones with mic and atach the xbox connector as it doesnt take a straight jack 1/4 or 1/8 "

So it is also the problem of utilising in game fx with the voice elemnent.

There are about 2 or 3 phones which seem to be able to connect to the xbox and allow game music and fx with the voice part and the only other one I would have gone for was a turtle beach headset, owever, they didnt have the model I would have really liked, hence I am trying to garner opinions here on headsets which incorporae the mic.

but thanks for the doly processor heads up, looks an interesting bit of kit.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but all headphones with any adapter can be made to output all sounds (music, fx, and voice) using the option to output voice chat to "speakers." Then, you don't need a headset at all. You just need headphones (which act as the speakers) the surround processor, and a mic that attaches to the controller. That's what I do, and it works great.

JVC-sudh1 adapter
etymotic ER4S or Sennheiser HD 580
Microsoft stock headset (worn sort of "over" the other headphones just for use of the mic only, though I may get something a little less clunky.)

And for what it's worth -- the setting I'm talking about above (play voice through speakers) is likely exactly how those Sharkoon's work. I haven't tried them specifically, but I've used the Tritton 5.1 surround headphones, and that's how you have to set them up. In fact, the included mic on those was just clipped to the side of the headphones, not integrated in any way. I'm sure the Sharkoon functions similarly.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 12
JeffMac) JVC-sudh1 adapter etymotic ER4S or Sennheiser HD 580 Microsoft stock headset (worn sort of "over" the other headphones just for use of the mic only said:
Thats what I am on about, but an integrated solution, i.e. not having to wear a decent set of headphones and then trying to also wear the microsoft headset for the chat element, like you said it feels a bit clunky and chucked together.

Quote:

And for what it's worth -- the setting I'm talking about above (play voice through speakers) is likely exactly how those Sharkoon's work. I haven't tried them specifically, but I've used the Tritton 5.1 surround headphones, and that's how you have to set them up. In fact, the included mic on those was just clipped to the side of the headphones, not integrated in any way. I'm sure the Sharkoon functions similarly.

Thats it, but its the whole voice chat element which has thrown me, simply because at the moment, via the micro0so0ft headset it is only the voice through there and the game sounds through the spoeakers, now I am understanding more clearly how the system works, using the headphones as the speaker output, so then, a dolby processor and a mic would transform any headphone into a 360 headset?

Can I ask what mic other than the one attached to a microsoft headset you are using or would like to use if any are available for that purpose?

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

As pointed out by JeffMac there's nothing special required to use the voice chat on XBL. Simply enable voice output over speakers and you then only need to take care of the mic.

In theory you should be able to use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm to use a different mic. Alternatively, simply use a modded stock headset for its mic.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Thats it, but its the whole voice chat element which has thrown me, simply because at the moment, via the micro0so0ft headset it is only the voice through there and the game sounds through the spoeakers, now I am understanding more clearly how the system works, using the headphones as the speaker output, so then, a dolby processor and a mic would transform any headphone into a 360 headset?

With that setup you will have all the game sound + voice chat on your headphones.
Quote:

Can I ask what mic other than the one attached to a microsoft headset you are using or would like to use if any are available for that purpose?

Like I said, you can try a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. Might not be that straightforward though if MS is using a nonstandard pinout. Also, the stock headset could be modded pretty easily to be simply a mic. You could then attach that to your headphones.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might not be that straightforward though if MS is using a nonstandard pinout. Also, the stock headset could be modded pretty easily to be simply a mic. You could then attach that to your headphones.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's standard. My friend just bought a standard 2.5mm cable (for cellphone use, likely) from Radio Shack to use with the piece-o-poo mic that came with his Trittons when the mic cable on them died. Works fine.

I just use the standard MS headset, and wear it over the top of whatever headphones/iems I'm wearing. It's a little unwieldy, so I might try an old wired cellphone headset mic or something. But I'm guessing that virtually any microphone that you can terminate in a 2.5mm plug should function.

May 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Didn't work for me using an adaptor off ebay. It states communicator connected whenever adaptor plugged in - as soon as microphone plugged into adaptor - states no communicator. =(

However mobile phone 2.5mm hands free microhone worked perfectly, sellotaped to the end of the microphone on my headset.

Don't understand how MS expect you to have headphones and their headset on at the same time - after 10 hours game session you will have nerve damage, scabs and blisters from the pressure, unless they don't care and they're pro noise pollution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back