xbox 360 GRAW!
May 24, 2006 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
So I picked up this game ysterday and I pretty much hate it. I think I shouldve picked upi battlefield 2 or condemned instead. Just my luck that I rented BF2 and thought it was a very fun game and fun multiplayer and I buy Ghost recon to find out its a game I shouldve rented instead. This is a really complicated game. Much too complicated for me to pick up and play.

Too many things to remember and commands to know and button presses and procedures at specific situations to call up certain actions to play the game.
Its definately a techie game that requires the player to sit and study and practice for hours to get a hang of the learning curve. Anyone else feel this games tutorial was useless?
basshead.gif

I guess Im turned off by games more sided to simulation rather than the actual game itself. Its as if this game was made for training programs for the military or something.

the multiplayer is a bit better, reminds me of counterstrike... typical run...gun.. argh.. spawn. Except everything is practically 1 hit kills and sniping is solo elimination is pointless as it wont get you enough kills to win the match amongst the running gunners with assault rifles. and character class greatly influences the accuracy of your aim with 999999999999999999999999999999999 different weapons to choose from.

If you're thinking about getting this game, definately give it a rent first, its not easy for people new to the series and has one of the steepest learning curves I have ever seen in a video game. Plus its more technical simulation rather than video game IMHO.

</rant>

PS. I expect edwood to chime in a disagree with me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 9
To be honest, I felt the same way at first. It almost feels like work in the beginning because there is a fair bit to know. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. It is a fantastic game, and it really does become intuitive after not too long.

May 25, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Hmm, odd, I didn't find the learning curve bad at all, took me about 10-15 minutes to get the controls down. GRAW has a much lower learning curve than Full Spectrum Warrior. The single player game is very good, and I'd say it's the best game on the Xbox 360 now, edging out Oblivion.

Multiplayer is a mixed bag. Versus play is pretty much one burst kills, wide open spaces, and predictable spawn point. Coop with friends is great though.

May 25, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 9
You can always practice with Perfect Dark Zero or other games that autoheal for you and where you can be shot 100 times before dying. Perhaps Metroid Prime where you can have the game auto lock on aim for you as well.

Then you can graduate to a better game like GRAW.
evil_smiley.gif

Multiplayer is one of the best parts of the game. Online Co-op is a loooooooooot of fun. Single player can get kind of convoluted in it's controls of wall-hugging etc. Multiplayer is simplified.

You should try online Co-op Campaign. I could walk you through it sometime later. Perhaps other Head-fi GRAW gamers could all meet up for a campaign or two.

-Ed

May 25, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I think that RnB and I are from the same school of instant gratification gaming. I have always steered clear of these types of games in the past, so I was new to this type of control scheme and issuing commands to teammates. It can be a little daunting the first time.

May 25, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 9
I didnt really find it that way, i had almost complete control after i finished the first level, not that hard to get into, and beat the SP in 9 hours. Really a fun game if you can try to get into it.

May 25, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 9
I've had my money squirreled away since November. But no ... great .... games .... ever ... come ...out. Everything I've played has been a rental at best (admit it, DOA4 looks nothing like the previews).

Still waiting on Halo3, but sometimes I think Killzone2 may come out first (its been pushed back, what, 16 months?).

May 26, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
GRAW has a much lower learning curve than Full Spectrum Warrior.

The first Full Spectrum Warrior was sort of complicated (took about 2 hours to use easily), but it became playable after the training and first mission. However, the SECOND one called Ten Hammers is horrible! They added many more complicated controls and movements that I ditched the game after I still couldn't remember the controls after 1 hour.

I played the PC version of GRAW, and what I hate is that it doesn't have support for the 16:10 widescreen ratio. The only ratios it lets you select are 4:3, 5:4, and 16:9. You also do not get the cool helicopter gattling gun rail type game that you control in the 360 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back