XBox 360 and Live
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
So I just got a steal of a deal for an Xbox 360 core and now I'm looking to get Xbox Live, which as I understand means I'll need a non-wireless internet connection as well as a hard drive or a memory card and Live subscription. If I hook up a cheap little modem to the ethernet jack next to my tv and connect the Xbox 360 to the modem is that sufficient or do I need some ridiculously marked up proprietary accessory?

Also someone mentioned to me the possibility of creating a partition on my external HD for use with the 360, is this possible or was my leg being pulled?

Many thanks

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 10
Get a router, attach modem to input port on router, attach computer and 360 to router's empty ports. Wireless is ridiculously expensive.

It's just easier to grab a used 20GB Xbox 360 HDD than to make your own. It needs proprietary connection and formatting, I think.

Grab the Live Gold 1-year package - comes with everything.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 10
So you can't connect the 360 straight to a modem? My computer is connected to the internet in my bedroom so I dont need to share the connection in my living room with anything if thats why you suggested a router

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Unless you do 802.11a, don't buy the wireless adapter.

Use a wired connection, faster, cheaper, and more reliable.

I recommend getting a decent router, though, especially if you have other people in your place that would be surfing the internet and such while you are gaming on live.

You don't really need the 360 HDD, unless you are going to download movies, trailers, and demos. The larger memory card should be large enough for most of the Arcade games.

But honestly, you probably should get the 20GB HDD at least. It'll be a real PITA to have to constantly delete content all the time.

If you can, I highly recommend the DLink DGL-4300 router.
There is a $25 mail in rebate for it now.

-Ed

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you can't connect the 360 straight to a modem

You can, and it'll actually be faster and more reliable that way than with most routers.

But it's a PITA to unplug the router from the XBox, then to your computer, and vice versa. But if you don't mind having to swap the ethernet cable back and forth, it's totally fine.

-Ed

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Also someone mentioned to me the possibility of creating a partition on my external HD for use with the 360, is this possible or was my leg being pulled?

You don't even need to create an extra partition, the XBox 360 will recognize the HDD via a USB connection automatically. It just won't be able to use all the files there, only the ones it's compatible with. You can play music, WMA, MP3's, WAV. also video, but it's limited to MP4, MOV, and WMV file formats for now. You can use USB thumbdrives too. Also, you may not know this one, but you can use any generic USB keyboard to type, so you don't have to use the crappy on screen keyboard.

You can also network a computer to the 360, but you'll need to download and install the Zune player from Microsoft, and then enable sharing for the 360 on your computer.

-Ed

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can, and it'll actually be faster and more reliable that way than with most routers.

But it's a PITA to unplug the router from the XBox, then to your computer, and vice versa. But if you don't mind having to swap the ethernet cable back and forth, it's totally fine.

-Ed

Well I have two modems, one in my room, one in the living room so this is the route I will take

Quote:

You don't even need to create an extra partition, the XBox 360 will recognize the HDD via a USB connection automatically. It just won't be able to use all the files there, only the ones it's compatible with. You can play music, WMA, MP3's, WAV. also video, but it's limited to MP4, MOV, and WMV file formats for now. You can use USB thumbdrives too. Also, you may not know this one, but you can use any generic USB keyboard to type, so you don't have to use the crappy on screen keyboard.

You can also network a computer to the 360, but you'll need to download and install the Zune player from Microsoft, and then enable sharing for the 360 on your computer.

-Ed

This is probably a dumb quesion, but is there a way to create save files on the external hard drive?

Thanks for you help

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Well I have two modems, one in my room, one in the living room so this is the route I will take

This is probably a dumb quesion, but is there a way to create save files on the external hard drive?

Thanks for you help

XBox Live content? Nope.

That's where M$ nails your wallet. Memory cards or the 360's HDD only.

-Ed

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

If you can, I highly recommend the DLink DGL-4300 router.
There is a $25 mail in rebate for it now.

-Ed

Fabulous router, highly recommended!

As for the wireless, I use a G network and have never had any issues, the G bandwidth far exceeds my internet connection, so lag is non-existent, and the downloads fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back