Xb500's vs. ATH-m50s
Nov 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tacobff

100+ Head-Fier
Currently deciding xb500s (70 bucks) vs. ATH-M50s (105)

Leaning toward xb500s cause I do love bass and while I do care about the mids and highs, I don't care for them as much. 

Main question is how do the M50s bass compare to the xb500s? If its greater than or equal to the xb500s then I might get the m50s instead. I mainly listen to dubstep and DnB and currently are not satisfied with my HD 439's

Also I heard xb600s came out. How are they compared to 500s? And how does more of a rolling bass compare to the more punchy bass found in house music?

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 14
The XB500 are better. The XB600 are a slight upgrade, but nothing amazing.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Consider the AKG K618DJ.  It's in your price range.  Best bass headphone at $99 I've heard.  It has great vocal clarity and decent amount of detail for a bass cannon.  Wish more people could review these, because I think they are an amazing bass headphone for the price.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 14
While the ath-m50 is a great heaphone, the bass isn't up to par with jackhammer types. It would be fair better with an amplifier with bass boost capabilities while still retaining the great mids and highs!

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 14
I've owned the M50's for a while now and the XB500's for about a day. I thought I was a basshead, but man, these XB500's have a LOT of emphasis on the bass. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the M50's just for the better SQ. Not that the XB500's aren't a fun listen. The M50's are just better for more genres IMO.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 14
To add to that, I just use a Fiio E6 to boost the bass on my M50's and they seem to be quite punchy although they don't have the QUANTITY of bass that the XB500's have. I'm just using RPG's preconfigured EQ for foobar for the XB500 with no amp and they still have a ton of bass, but like he said, sound slightly more spacious.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Have you considered the XB700s? They can be had for around $90 and they're a good median. I don't personally own them but I've read very often that the mids/highs are a lot smoother than that of the XB500s. They seem to be a better overall headphone while maintaining a bass inclination. You will however lose some of the portability. You may want to also  take a look at M-Audio Q40s.

Also, I have a pair of M50s that I run on an E17 and the bass is rather punchy when EQ'd. I'm rather happy with them, especially with the portability they offer. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Have you considered the XB700s? They can be had for around $90 and they're a good median. I don't personally own them but I've read very often that the mids/highs are a lot smoother than that of the XB500s. They seem to be a better overall headphone while maintaining a bass inclination. You will however lose some of the portability. You may want to also  take a look at M-Audio Q40s.

Also, I have a pair of M50s that I run on an E17 and the bass is rather punchy when EQ'd. I'm rather happy with them, especially with the portability they offer. 

If you can find me a deal of 90$ from a reputable dealer I might bite on the 700s.

I'ma lso looking for quantity of bass, HD 439's don't cut it for me and I was told they were semi bassy.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
If you can find me a deal of 90$ from a reputable dealer I might bite on the 700s.

I'ma lso looking for quantity of bass, HD 439's don't cut it for me and I was told they were semi bassy.

Well the XB700s definitely have bass quantity down. There was a seller on amazon a couple of weeks ago with like three left for $96ish I'm not seeing them now though. Not sure whether they'll be back up or not.

Regardless you can get them new for around $130, It's just if you're willing to wait and toss in the extra little bit. I've heard they perform a lot better with a little bit of equalization and amping though, but again what headphone doesn't. Something you may want to think about. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Well the XB700s definitely have bass quantity down. There was a seller on amazon a couple of weeks ago with like three left for $96ish I'm not seeing them now though. Not sure whether they'll be back up or not.

Regardless you can get them new for around $130, It's just if you're willing to wait and toss in the extra little bit. I've heard they perform a lot better with a little bit of equalization and amping though, but again what headphone doesn't. Something you may want to think about. 

Yeah I'm kind of deciding between xb500s and Shure 215's now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back