xb500 CLONES help
Aug 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SHAMuuu

Headphoneus Supremus
 I ordered some xb500/700 pads , because I want to make something as close to xb500 , which i have never owned. i have the 1k. the 500s are too rare new or tooo $$$$

I did research, but i can't figure it out. Too much info. I hope I can get some help or ideas.

Which sOny is closest to the xb500? I have narrowed to the xb 950s n x10a (SC Edition).

Brainwavs hm9 with 700 pads = possible clone??

I am a Sony XB fan, so anyone who owns hm9 , xb500, or xb500 and something similar/better (but 200 or less) .
Its all DIY
I have SHP + xb1000 pads which is not that bad for backup set, and going to do close mod since its open

but i also want to see if i can have something like the 500s ... like "headphone" + oldschool xb pads .... and i dont have all tht much $$$ to burn

after all xb500's were like 50 bucks - 75 bucks new, so if i could for like 100 wowwey. the pads is like $10-$15 from China

I know I know, they wont be as soft as Originals, but what to do

Thanks ..
gs1000.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 10
OK so i went with some hardwood from South America ... Macacauba/ Orange Agate

Drilled some holes

Scrap Headband from Noise proof muffs (used to be in Forestry work) ... defo handy here ... worked like a charm

Holes in back to make it open ... kinda ... just a shot in the dark really :p

Dampening Foam from scrap noiseproof muffs 

Looking into drivers ... would love xb500/700/1000 drivers down the road

Will most likely start with Koss ksc75

Pads : will try some xb500/700 pads

possibly Beyer velours mmm down the road

Well this is my first headphone build, so I hope its not the worst one out there

I googled DIY headphones and well i think mine are OK .... for now

Probably will sound like crap at first, but then it will only go up with better drivers n tinkering

Hey, if it sounds as good as a $20 headset, bearable to listen, i will be happy

So yeah hope to have some ghetto XBwooDies

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Neat project. Why not make them into bass bombers while you're at it.

If you let us know how much space for drivers you have to work with we can help suggest donor drivers. If they are big enough foster will sell you the drivers they put in fostex phones. Ksc75 drivers are good but hardly close to bassy enough if thats what you are after.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Peculiar looks! I wonder how will they sound with those irregular holes in the cups.
As for the driver, maybe you could go for a pair of what lunashops offers? They have a few that they describe as suitable for Sony headphones.
In terms of earpads I don't think Beyerdynamic velours will be suitable for you to get sound characteristic you're after, since leather gives you much better isolation, but I ain't an expert. Maybe look into something like MrSpeakers' Alpha Pads? If BD velours would fit your wooden cups, then Alpha Pads would as well.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Neat project. Why not make them into bass bombers while you're at it.

If you let us know how much space for drivers you have to work with we can help suggest donor drivers. If they are big enough foster will sell you the drivers they put in fostex phones. Ksc75 drivers are good but hardly close to bassy enough if thats what you are after.

Hi, thank you very much for your comments and support.
Yes I am in the process of driver selection, mainly because of the depth of the wood cups as well as those super cushy earpads mmmmm These are the 1k pads, but waiting for Chinese xb700 and 500 pads which are taking forever in mail from China. The distance is apprx 2 inches from eardrum. And depth of cup I think 3 -4 cm roughly, and its apprx 4" wide, with border maybe 90mm space.

The Koss Ksc75 which I just got, was to test how the sounds behaved. Surprisingly the Ksc75 sound great (with the Koss hooks) I was pleasantly surprised. I like these just for listening.
In the cups with the pads however, the subbass (if any existed LOL!) is nowhere to be seen, or heard should I say. The lower midrange / upper mid range is there, but its weak. The vocals and such is pleasant though, and listening to Jewel with an acoustic guitar sounded OK. By OK I mean like a headset you'd get on a plane or the dollar store :D ,

Peculiar looks! I wonder how will they sound with those irregular holes in the cups.
As for the driver, maybe you could go for a pair of what lunashops offers? They have a few that they describe as suitable for Sony headphones.
In terms of earpads I don't think Beyerdynamic velours will be suitable for you to get sound characteristic you're after, since leather gives you much better isolation, but I ain't an expert. Maybe look into something like MrSpeakers' Alpha Pads? If BD velours would fit your wooden cups, then Alpha Pads would as well.

Hi Thanks for your time and support.

They sounded not bassy, but clear vocals, not piercing. Most likely not driver I will finish with. Luckily I like them, and enjoy them with the Koss hooks. Maybe I get the cheap parts express headband. Koss 75's are fun. So I will be doing more research, and take into account what I learn from others. I think you will be right about avoiding velour, but it seems the changes are so unpredictable sometimes with this modding business. Ofc basic modding, not that expert stuff. :D I will look at Lunashops,
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks again for your knowledge sharing, it will save me $$$ down the line i'm sure
beyersmile.png

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 10
@SHAMuuu
I might join you in DIYing something like this based on if you like the Sony style pads you ordered.

The KSC75 is a great driver and is featured often in the non-grado grado thread (KSC75 and Senn PX100 are both common driver replacements for grado headphones)

but the biggest issue with them for a bass bomber style headphone is that they are rather small so they won't have the impact of a larger size driver. However if you do it properly you should be able to make them extremely bassy regardless :wink:

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 10
  @SHAMuuu man, you look dope in them! :D Keep going, and post your progress here, and you might surprise yourself with how awesome final design will be.

All the best!

Thanks for your support, I will update as I go on. I tried without the dampening foam and just the hollowed wood, crossing my fingers for some wood magic, but it did not occur :p . The thick dampening foam helped tame the sound, but still listenable.
I don't know if it was burn in or my brain adapted to the ksc 75 sound, but with a few tweaks they have moved up from $3 sound to $15 sound! :D

@SHAMuuu
I might join you in DIYing something like this based on if you like the Sony style pads you ordered.

The KSC75 is a great driver and is featured often in the non-grado grado thread (KSC75 and Senn PX100 are both common driver replacements for grado headphones)

but the biggest issue with them for a bass bomber style headphone is that they are rather small so they won't have the impact of a larger size driver. However if you do it properly you should be able to make them extremely bassy regardless :wink:

Yea go for it, that would be awesome to see. I saw the stratoKOSSer thread . Says it can produce down to 15hz so maybe with some luck and tweaks.  45mm is no joke!

The grado diy'ers are smart with all the goody parts which look so awesome. Wood, machined metal. Really can't beat that. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the headband work paticularly. I'm not surprised the least bit why the 75s sound good in that design vs my botch job. Rolling Drivers must be fun on those. I will give these 75s a chance. I pushed them a bit with my bravo ocean amp and it took some punches well so there is hope!

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 10

Lot of hate and mixed reviews on thes Marley Liberate XL (non BT) Anyway, these are my likkle brother's. Tried with 500 pads. You can see they squish like a soft pillow. I won't recommend this one, but i liked the look. Perhaps with OEM Sony Pads.DO at own risk :p

Lp2 with 500 pads. I enjoyed them but would recommend OEM 700/1000 pads IF you were to do something this silly. I enjoyed the XL pads but they go from fat to flat quick. I may go with Hm5 pads. Again, I'm a fan of Lp2 (my all around for many years for subways, walks in Canadian winter, Skype and sleeping with them often. ) Best Bang for buck. I like the look, and I enjoyed the slightly distanced sound. These are BOOMY cans, with mid to high, but not exceptional SQ. Bass is top notch, I don't know why people bash its Bass. With xL pads, A+ bass. Beats my xb1k on many hip hop songs.

Philips F1 with 500s pads , just for fun :D . I wont recommend these headphones for comfort issues, but they sound great. I like them with the 500 pads (have them on right now!) but again just for fun, as i;m not an on ear guy :p With the 500 pads they become on ear.

.......tbc

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Ok so down to business
beyersmile.png

Seems the ksc75 fit perfectly into the pads and I see this cheap set up with the parts express headband being a possible fun pair on the cheap . $20 ksc75 + $10 pads + $2 headband. Thats $32. I did the quarter mod so drivers in full view n shiny. yum yum.

I put these up to my ears with no headband, They sound bloodly fun. See for yourself. $12 if you have a pair of ksc75s for headband n pads. I like these.

My favs in terms of xb pads the shp9500 with 1k pads:D

SO take all this with a grain of salt, I just have an xb pad fetish . TBH moving forward if i do buy high end it will only be OPEN CANS.
This is just for fun. For BOOMY fun, not technical specs/accuracy.

I'm super Happy with My Sony xb1K (end game for semi open :D) , (Lp2 (closed portable), and will only stick to open for my Open Back Flagship, when I hear one in store or something.

Hope this will get some people on the xb cheapie mod on their cheapie cans ... just for fun. I wish I could buy all the cheapie cans and do photoshoots. I just love the tire look! :D

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back